Military coup in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:58:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Military coup in America
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What do you do (Read blurb below first)
Wholehearted support

Support...for now, as long as they hold fresh elections

Passively oppose

Violently oppose; resist and sabotage

Take up arms and form a militia to wrestle control back

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Military coup in America  (Read 2471 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2005, 12:55:29 PM »

Here is the scene.

At 7.00am, the army, under the command of a renegade, who has strong support in the military quietly surrounds the White House and other federal buildings, locking out Congress. They declare that Bush is unfit to rule and 'illegitimate' on national and interntaional media. Bush, Cheney and the House leaders are placed under house arrest. The Supreme court are also placed under house arrest. At the same time, the same scene plays out in state houses across the USA in a quick, bloodless execution of the plan. At 3.00pm the coup leaders appear on television again, with former General Wesley Clark, looking rather wearied and frightened, who we are told, will be sworn in as the interregnum President. We are told that this is nice and legal, under the constitution as under Bush we have no seperation of church from state, it's tyrannical and so forth. Elections are called for November of this year when martial law is suspended.

Do you recognise this new government, refuse to pay taxes, or take up arms to end it plunging the USA into civil war?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 01:04:27 PM »

I'd think it was wonderful!
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 01:56:30 PM »

Option 5 most likely, considering the South would vehemently oppose this move(being strongly pro-Bush). I'd also think the military stationed here would side with the President.

Option 4 if I didn't have enough support for a militia.

If you allow this to occur, you set a dangerous precedent and give the military far more power than it should have - regardless of how you feel about Bush, this is not wonderful. Taking away the accountability of the military to the civilian government is anything but wonderful.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 02:02:16 PM »

How I would react:
Wha? <<< confusion
Eh? <<< confusion
Huh? <<< confusion
Hmm... <<< pondering
Hmm! <<< beginning to like the idea
Hmm hmm hmm hmm hmm! <<< liking the idea
Smiley <<< Wesley Clark is President, yay!
Shocked <<< fighting breaks out
Shocked Shocked Shocked <<< mayor of my city declares town a part of the Conservative States of America
X_X <<< execution due to liberalness
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 02:05:31 PM »

Wesley Clark starts drinking and we have McCain standing on a tank in front of the White House.  In 2008, he is elected president.

J. J.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 03:14:39 PM »

support-ish, but if they delay the elections I would flee to a safe country.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 03:36:38 PM »

Quit teasing.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 05:14:23 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2005, 05:41:32 PM by Defarge »

I would immediately begin to make plans to flee the country.  A military dictatorship, regardless of its political alignment, does not a happy democracy make.

Meanwhile however, I would begin to make contacts with local resistance groups, should leaving the country become impossible.  If I was unable to leave the country, I would join the resistance.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 05:21:38 PM »

Bush himself said a dictatorship would be easier.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 05:24:06 PM »

So?  It is the truth.  Was he advocating dictatorship?  No.  In fact, he was refuting it with his statement.

Anyway, thank God for guns.  I would lead a resistance.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 05:40:08 PM »

Join the resistance.  Not that this could ever happen.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 05:50:13 PM »

Join the resistance.  Not that this could ever happen.

I would be very careful about saying things like that.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 06:12:35 PM »

So?  It is the truth.  Was he advocating dictatorship?  No.  In fact, he was refuting it with his statement.

I'll be happy to bring my copy of the Improvised Munitions Handbook ans Robert's Rule of Order Newly Revised (10th edition) and follow you.  :-)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 06:22:45 PM »

I'd passively resist unless it got to the point where I was in danger.  I usually won't risk my life unless I have to.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 08:17:17 PM »

If I lived in a dictatorship that left me alone and put in policies I agreed with, I wouldn't fight it because I would see no reason to. I'd only fight dictatorships that oppressed me.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 09:11:21 AM »

If I lived in a dictatorship that left me alone and put in policies I agreed with, I wouldn't fight it because I would see no reason to. I'd only fight dictatorships that oppressed me.

It's fine if they oppress other people though. Roll Eyes

I'll be happy to bring my copy of the Improvised Munitions Handbook ans Robert's Rule of Order Newly Revised (10th edition) and follow you.  :-)

I'll bring my copy of The Art of War since some of it is still applicable to modern combat.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 11:40:44 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2005, 12:24:00 PM by Democratic 'Hawk' »

Support .... for now, as long as they hold fresh elections. Bush is unfit to rule!

Dave
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 12:14:04 PM »

He was democratically elected by the people of this country, just because you don't like him doesn't mean the military should have a coup. Unless he does something so blatantly wrong that it warrants impeachment and Congress takes no action, a coup is not justified. I don't like Bush either, but supporting a military coup against a legitamitely elected official is dangerous.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 12:29:54 PM »

He was democratically elected by the people of this country, just because you don't like him doesn't mean the military should have a coup. Unless he does something so blatantly wrong that it warrants impeachment and Congress takes no action, a coup is not justified. I don't like Bush either, but supporting a military coup against a legitamitely elected official is dangerous.

Kind of enough to think, they shouldn't have the vote Wink. No, seriously, I don't why I said I'd support the coup. Must be having one of my weaker moments Wink. I just think Bush - the war on Terror and Iraq aside - has been lousy. I think I just voted willy-nilly without reading what was said. I'm prone to that now and again

Dave
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2005, 03:39:52 AM »

Wesley Clark starts drinking and we have McCain standing on a tank in front of the White House.  In 2008, he is elected president.

J. J.

ROFLMAO!

I'll second the motion.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2005, 08:01:36 PM »

Works for me.  I had to read the famous Che Guevara bio for one of my classes, and I know quite a bit about partisan tactics, and my best freind just got back from Guerrilla Warfare and Special Ops training camp down in North Carolina.  Which sounds like a lot of fun, BTW.  He was on the team that was rebeling against the corrupt dictatorship and he was allied with the small contingent of US forces.  The whole thing was about three weeks and they acctually role played their parts.  The charecter he made was the son of a Senator who was loyal to the old democratic regime and was executed when "General Christen" took over.  No one used their real names, just the names they created for their charecters.  He got to blow up a bridge and everything.  They acctually went on just 400 calories a day for three days, until they managed to coordinate a night rade and sneak out some enemy supplies.  As he described it, it was 100% real they just didn't use live ammo.  At one point, they acctually discovered one of the people in thier unit was a spy and his Col. "executed" her right their on the spot.  One shot to the head with a blank.  The US "observer" had a fit, of course.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2005, 10:12:19 AM »

Works for me.  I had to read the famous Che Guevara bio for one of my classes, and I know quite a bit about partisan tactics, and my best freind just got back from Guerrilla Warfare and Special Ops training camp down in North Carolina.  Which sounds like a lot of fun, BTW.  He was on the team that was rebeling against the corrupt dictatorship and he was allied with the small contingent of US forces.  The whole thing was about three weeks and they acctually role played their parts.  The charecter he made was the son of a Senator who was loyal to the old democratic regime and was executed when "General Christen" took over.  No one used their real names, just the names they created for their charecters.  He got to blow up a bridge and everything.  They acctually went on just 400 calories a day for three days, until they managed to coordinate a night rade and sneak out some enemy supplies.  As he described it, it was 100% real they just didn't use live ammo.  At one point, they acctually discovered one of the people in thier unit was a spy and his Col. "executed" her right their on the spot.  One shot to the head with a blank.  The US "observer" had a fit, of course.

Wow that sounds really cool. Do you know the name of this camp it sounds pretty interesting.

Anyway I would go along with Ken, Soulty, and John and join the resistance. President Wesley Clark my ass, maybe if it was Tommy Franks or John Abizaid and they were overthrowing a President Kerry my thoughts would be different but with this scenario its off into the woods for me.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2005, 10:39:38 AM »

If you support this, it forms a dangerous precedent allowing the military to remove a government they disagree with. Certainly, BRTD would not want a Democrat President to be removed by a military coup. I'd join the resistance.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2005, 10:40:28 AM »

When he held fresh elections four years after his own coup. Grin
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 12:41:00 PM »

I will violently oppose any attempt to overthrow a democratically, legally elected government, regardless of what I think of that government or its policies.

Option 4.

If things look really bad I'll flee to the UK or Israel.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies