If you were Thomas Dewey's campaign manager in 1948, what would you have done ..
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:13:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  If you were Thomas Dewey's campaign manager in 1948, what would you have done ..
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you were Thomas Dewey's campaign manager in 1948, what would you have done ..  (Read 2968 times)
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:49:10 PM »

differently?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »

I would have gotten Dewey off his overcautious butt and make him start responding to Truman's attacks.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 03:48:46 PM »

I would have gotten Dewey off his overcautious butt and make him start responding to Truman's attacks.

I would have made Dewey campaign of course, but i would also make him campaign in the south more than he did.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 03:53:04 PM »

I would have, as NiK said, tell Dewey to campaign more energetically and respond to Truman's attacks. I would have also told him to offer more specific ideas for the American people (tax cuts for the middle class, stimulus spending, and improvements in education would be good examples of that) instead of saying obvious things (such as "the future still lies ahead of you" or "this is the greatest country in the world."). Finally, I would tell Dewey to attack Truman on his weak points (such as the post WWII-recession, high inflation, being soft on Communism, etc.).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 03:58:03 PM »

Have him not be a useless moderate hero.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 03:59:20 PM »

I would have made Dewey campaign of course, but i would also make him campaign in the south more than he did.

That would have been a foolish move. The only Southern state Dewey might have realistically won was Virginia, and if Dewey would campaign a lot in the South, that might cost him several large states (IL, OH, & CA) due to lack of campaigning there. It would have been much smarter for Dewey to ignore the South and campaign in those large swing states.

And yes, campaigning in a particular state can make a difference--just look at Martha Coakley as an example.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »

So you would have suggested that Dewey move to the right for the campaign? I think that would have been a bad move, since conservatives were already solidly behind him and that would only alienate many moderate/liberal voters who still remembered the Hoover's conservatism and his inept response to the Great Depression.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 04:03:53 PM »

So you would have suggested that Dewey move to the right for the campaign? I think that would have been a bad move, since conservatives were already solidly behind him and that would only alienate many moderate/liberal voters who still remembered the Hoover's conservatism and his inept response to the Great Depression.

Not move to the right, but stand for something. He'd give these long speeches about literally nothing.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 04:05:56 PM »

Not move to the right, but stand for something. He'd give these long speeches about literally nothing.

"Remember, you're future is still ahead of you"
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 04:07:19 PM »

I think I got your point. You would have Dewey propose some specific ideas for the American people (tax cuts for the middle class, stimulus spending, improvements in education and healthcare) in order to show people that he's not an empty-suit. I agree that this would actually be a good idea and might have very well helped out Dewey greatly.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 05:18:40 PM »

Here's kind of a funny one: Have Dewey shave his mustache off.  A lot of people were afraid to vote for him due to Dewey's close resemblance to Adolf Hitler.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 06:05:35 PM »

Here's kind of a funny one: Have Dewey shave his mustache off.  A lot of people were afraid to vote for him due to Dewey's close resemblance to Adolf Hitler.

Haha very funny.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 09:35:49 PM »

This cat is sad that it can't get elected President.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies