Human nature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:39:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Human nature
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which statement comes closest to your view
Human nature is essentially good; evil comes about primarily as a result of misunderstandings or attempts to comply with outdated rules or norms.

Human nature is for the most part good, but a small minority of individuals prefer evil over good, and need to be punished if they act out.

Human nature is neither good nor evil; we all choose for ourselves what kind of person to be.

Human nature is essentially evil, so we must limit the power of government lest any one individual becomes too powerful.

Human nature is essentially evil, so we must give government as much power as possible to decide what is best and punish wrongdoers.

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Human nature  (Read 921 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:44:49 AM »

I vote option 2.

Certain human behaviors (e.g., helping strangers who cannot reciprocate) can only be explained (it seems to me) by a fundamental genetic goodness in human nature (and that of other animals as well) (or possibly a Jungian collective memory).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 12:08:48 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2017, 12:14:16 PM by The Gianforte Covfefe »

3. If it was different, we would be living in a world of predetermined outcomes, without free will. And there are theologies and scientific theories that allude to that possibility of a perfectly predictable universe but though no expirement has disproved it, there are still many unresolved and contradictory observed facts and ideas.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 01:39:23 PM »

We can choose good or evil, but a wholesome environment will lead most people to good. That is the qualification. There's a big difference between a Quaker world and a Nazi world.

So what leads people to be good? Appropriate inculcation of values -- like empathy, a good work ethic, respect for human difference, a desire for justice, and a rejection of excess. Of course there have been some very sick societies that bring out the worst. But those sick societies have a tendency to self-destruct.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 01:43:25 PM »

Donald Trump is a walking indictment of human nature. Obviously, people need to be restrained (and by extension, governments).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 01:55:20 PM »

Other. Human behavior is determined by a combination of genetic predispositions, socialization processes, and (to a limited extent) "free will".
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 02:09:08 PM »

Other. Human behavior is determined by a combination of genetic predispositions, socialization processes, and (to a limited extent) "free will".
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 02:12:35 PM »

Donald Trump is a walking indictment of human nature. Obviously, people need to be restrained (and by extension, governments).

Donald Trump is a walking indictment of the worst part of his class, people who believe that the rest of the world exists to enrich and indulge him. This is a man without empathy or scruples. At the low social end, one's upbringing brings about an Alton Coleman (serial killer) or Charles Manson (murderous cultist). In the social middle one might end up with sexual sadists (Ted Bundy, John Gacy) who end up killing people to hide their deviance for a while or a scammer like Bernie Madoff or Ken Lay. At the 'high' end the absolute worst were aristocrats of central Europe who perpetrated the Holocaust to destroy Jewish dissent with exploitative ideologies.

Unless sociopathic tendencies are genetic in nature, most people can learn some suitable values. A good society inculcates those values with active teaching and viable incentives.    
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 11:25:54 AM »

Option 3 (normal).

Defining human nature as fundamentally good or evil means depriving these concepts of any meaning.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 11:34:20 AM »

A combination of options 4 and 5.  Harsh punishments must be meted out, but a government too large is liable to cause problems given human nature.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 02:30:05 PM »

I picked 3rd but perhaps consider #2 to a degree based on the idea of natural rights. I would have to read more on various takes on this topic.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 02:45:27 PM »

The third option is the only option compatible with human freedom and dignity.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 02:47:47 PM »

How would a person ever choose what they want to be?
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 02:51:58 PM »

People choose who they are constantly. All life is a choice.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 03:04:18 PM »

People make what we call "choices" based on a set of predispositions, circumstances, and values systems. Most decisions arrived at are thusly the result of preexisting factors or absurd chance. As such, I would say it's very inappropriate to claim people simply choose to behave certain ways. "Free will" is a hedonistic fantasy.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 03:18:06 PM »

People make what we call "choices" based on a set of predispositions, circumstances, and values systems. Most decisions arrived at are thusly the result of preexisting factors or absurd chance. As such, I would say it's very inappropriate to claim people simply choose to behave certain ways. "Free will" is a hedonistic fantasy.

I'm simply not interested in your opinion on the subject. Sorry.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »

Option 5.
Starpaul20
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -5.22

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 04:17:29 PM »

Option 3.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 07:00:48 PM »

Then what are your interests? Perhaps I could play more to those instead.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 07:09:46 PM »

Then what are your interests? Perhaps I could play more to those instead.

Freedom. And as you don't value it very highly (though I'm sure you make an exception for your own), I'm afraid we're going to remain at loggerheads.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 07:25:12 PM »

I am unsure where I indicated that I hate freedom, but that is no reason to hate your fellow man!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »

This free speech vs determinism argument always struck me as silly. Sure, when you get down to it, everything is determined on a basic level. All particles interact according to predictable rules (well, not quite when you get to quantum physics, but it's hard to see quantum physics as the basis for free will). Still, for all intents and purposes, on the level of perception at which everyday human beings interact, we seem to be able to make conscious choices that can't be deterministically traced to a proximate cause. If we took determinism seriously, individuals would act and society would be organized in a way that would strike everybody as nonsensical and immoral. So obviously free will must exist.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 02:34:04 PM »

If we took determinism seriously, individuals would act and society would be organized in a way that would strike everybody as nonsensical and immoral.

Exactly. If free will were to exist, people would act far more logically and in a more similar fashion.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 01:43:43 AM »

A combination of options 4 and 5.  Harsh punishments must be meted out, but a government too large is liable to cause problems given human nature.
Agreed, but the potential redemption of mankind makes me also lean towards option 3.

TL;DR: The poll is over-simplifying a very complex issue.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies