Trump: "I don't want poor people in my cabinet"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:42:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: "I don't want poor people in my cabinet"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Trump: "I don't want poor people in my cabinet"  (Read 2851 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2017, 10:20:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Personally, I would want the best qualified person, regardless of wealth to hold a position, even an economic one (just because your wealthy doesn't mean you can understand the economy). What do you think?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:22:04 PM »

Such a shallow measure of quality.
mencken
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:30:18 PM »

Personally, I would want the best qualified person, regardless of wealth to hold a position, even an economic one (just because your wealthy doesn't mean you can understand the economy). What do you think?

I find more objectionable the implication that someone is "in charge" of the economy. That description sounds more appropriate for a Soviet commissar than for an official for an ostensibly capitalist nation.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 10:32:48 PM »

In Trump's mind, and that of a considerable portion of Americans, wealth is equivalent to talent and ability. So, if you're poor, it's solely because you're untalented and/or unmotivated. Of course, viewing people that way, you wouldn't want poor people in your cabinet.

Anyone with sense knows that's total garbage, but that would require conceding America isn't the land of 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' like the right-wing love to proclaim.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 10:40:39 PM »

Yup.

I can't tell you how many people I know who voted for Trump because he was a successful, wealthy businessman.

It never occurs to people there are alot of stupid people with money. Trump being the perfect example of this.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 10:44:55 PM »

Thanks for the 2018 ad Donald-DCCC
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »

Meh, making an ad of this would be a waste of money.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 10:47:02 PM »

Yup.

I can't tell you how many people I know who voted for Trump because he was a successful, wealthy businessman.

It never occurs to people there are alot of stupid people with money. Trump being the perfect example of this.

If the existence of the Kardashians hasn't blown that myth to pieces then nothing will.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 01:40:38 AM »

Neither did Obama or Bush or Clinton or Bush or Reagan or Carter.... et cetera, et cetera. Quite frankly, Ross is more qualified than 99.99999% of Americans. This is just Trump saying what every other President has thought.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 01:47:29 AM »

Such a shallow measure of quality.
The sad thing is, I don't think it's out of any kind of malice.  It really makes perfect sense to him.

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 01:51:55 AM »

The former president of Uruguay would very much take offense to Trump's views on this, I think.

No, but seriously, this is like the most predictable thing from Trump ever.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 01:52:08 AM »

Neither did Obama or Bush or Clinton or Bush or Reagan or Carter.... et cetera, et cetera. Quite frankly, Ross is more qualified than 99.99999% of Americans. This is just Trump saying what every other President has thought.
Again the problem is Trump is suppose to be this "shake up DC" populist an while it was obvious bullsh*t to anyone who isn't his supporters the fact is his supporters still say he is even though he day by day is acting more an more like an establishment shill
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 01:53:06 AM »

Why doesn't Donald Trump appoint a non-rich yet non-poor person for Commerce Secretary instead?

It's hard to believe that this orange piece of s**t is president.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 04:17:25 AM »

Not that the comment becomes inoffensive, but the headline is misleading. Trump said he doesn't want poor people in cabinet positions that relate to managing the economy (to wit, "but in those particular positions I just don’t want a poor person"). He did not say his means test related to all cabinet positions. So in his mind, having an impecunious person as secretary of state, would be just fine. Trump is handicapped by the truncated scope of his moral vision (among other numerous handicaps, sad to say). Who knew?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 04:27:40 AM »

tbf, behavioral researches show that poor people do make worse judgments because of scarcity (Anandi Mani 2013)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 05:59:53 AM »

By "poor" he means non-.01%.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 07:53:23 AM »

Has any President hired a poor for a cabinet level job, especially and economic one?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 08:16:33 AM »

Has any President hired a poor for a cabinet level job, especially and economic one?

It really depends. What about a high paid econimics professor that would be considered "poor" by Trump's definition.

That is what is really interesting about this. Above a certain point, wealth is more an issue of risk than skill.

There are tons of Intellectuals and Civil Servants making 10 or 15 a month who are just as skilled as the businessman making that much an hour or minute simply because they are passionate theory and policy.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 08:45:21 AM »

For sure, because it's their own fault that they are poor. Total losers. Trump doesn't like losers.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 08:51:53 AM »

In Trump's mind, and that of a considerable portion of Americans, wealth is equivalent to talent and ability. So, if you're poor, it's solely because you're untalented and/or unmotivated. Of course, viewing people that way, you wouldn't want poor people in your cabinet.

Anyone with sense knows that's total garbage, but that would require conceding America isn't the land of 'pull yourself up by your bootstraps' like the right-wing love to proclaim.

America's semi-secular version of the prosperity gospel is one of our worst traits.

Putting people in charge because they're rich is the equivalent of betting on a die to roll high because it rolled high last time, and besides, you like how it looks.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »

Again the problem is Trump is suppose to be this "shake up DC" populist an while it was obvious bullsh*t to anyone who isn't his supporters the fact is his supporters still say he is even though he day by day is acting more an more like an establishment shill

"His supporters" say that in the sense that you're talking about his most loyal and rabid and unflinching worshipers like Sanchez.  Most of "his supporters," as in people who cast their ballot for him, just wanted a Republican in the White House and could not care less about his "populism."
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »

President J R Ewing Trump may play a populist game to gull the proles, but he then shafts them. It is not that he is rich that troubles me; it is that he is filthy rich, vile in his expression of wealth, and incredibly greedy. This man is a comic-book villain.

SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »

President J R Ewing Trump may play a populist game to gull the proles, but he then shafts them. It is not that he is rich that troubles me; it is that he is filthy rich, vile in his expression of wealth, and incredibly greedy. This man is a comic-book villain.

Speaking of which... Trump as the Penguin https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbzFpOvUYAAPG16.jpg
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 09:43:41 AM »

Be honest people: how many poor people do you know who'd even be qualified to run a federal department? Using a sensible definition of poor, anyway...
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 02:12:37 PM »

Donald Trump is very much a coastal elitist. How is that swamp draining going?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies