Trump: "I don't want poor people in my cabinet"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:34:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump: "I don't want poor people in my cabinet"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Trump: "I don't want poor people in my cabinet"  (Read 2838 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 02:15:33 PM »

Be honest people: how many poor people do you know who'd even be qualified to run a federal department? Using a sensible definition of poor, anyway...

What qualifies as poor? I didn't see the full exchange, but something tells me that Trump's idea of 'poor' is much more broad than just about anyone else.
The Self
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 02:17:49 PM »

Be honest people: how many poor people do you know who'd even be qualified to run a federal department? Using a sensible definition of poor, anyway...

Aren't you supposed to be some kind of Christian "communitarian"?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 02:23:39 PM »

I've met hobos who probably have a better grasp of America's affordable housing crisis than Ben Carson does.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »

Dude doesn't want poor people running federal departments, yet his savior is a homeless Middle Eastern refugee carpenter born in a manger to an unwed teenage mother...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 02:30:22 PM »

Does he not fit into your bubble you've created for Christians (over 75% of the population)?
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2017, 02:32:47 PM »

Dude doesn't want poor people running federal departments, yet his savior is a homeless Middle Eastern refugee carpenter born in a manger to an unwed teenage mother...

It's beyond that. My takeaway is that politically this poster supports a kind of all-around big government philosophy - welfarism tinged with a thoroughgoing moralistic busybodyism. It's simply jarring to hear anti-poor rhetoric from a bleeding heart.

The time has come for thoroughgoing individualists to put Christianity to bed.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017, 03:09:44 PM »

It's beyond that. My takeaway is that politically this poster supports a kind of all-around big government philosophy - welfarism tinged with a thoroughgoing moralistic busybodyism. It's simply jarring to hear anti-poor rhetoric from a bleeding heart.

Too bad most individualists are Christians.  Good luck.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 03:12:48 PM »

Too bad most individualists are Christians.  Good luck.

Most "individualist Christians" aren't actual individualists.

Which is why the 'rugged individualist' rhetoric of your Party today rings so hollow. There's nothing individualistic about assimilating comfortably into the mass culture. On a personal level, in fact, I admire a Marxist true believer in the United States more than most of today's 'individualists'. He at least has the courage of his convictions.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 03:22:22 PM »

What qualifies as poor? I didn't see the full exchange, but something tells me that Trump's idea of 'poor' is much more broad than just about anyone else.

Exactly. From what is in on his cabinent, "poor" could have been referring to the type upper-middle class  to modestly wealthy career public administrators and researchers that regularly take such roles.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 03:54:07 PM »

Like many on the American right-wing, he likely
doesn't follow canon Jesus, but worships fanon Jesus.

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2017, 04:15:22 PM »

I would hire someone economically successful to be a economic secretary if I were POTUS. I don't see the problem.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2017, 04:16:49 PM »

I would hire someone economically successful to be a economic secretary if I were POTUS. I don't see the problem.

If you were POTUS, you'd have declared bankruptcy five times.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »

*sigh*
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2017, 04:25:24 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2017, 04:27:47 PM by The Self »

*sigh*

The point is that Republicans are excusing in Trump behavior they would condemn in a worker. Bankruptcy, I've been taught, is a sign of a moral failing in the working class. It takes on spiritual overtones when conservatives speak of it - in the context of laborers.

In my view, you excuse it because Trump didn't acquire his wealth in an individualistic fashion. He didn't work for it, as I and others of my class have. He's old money pretending to be new money.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 04:26:21 PM »

Because "have wealthy and well-connected parents, go to Ivy League schools, then work on Wall Street" isn't readily transferable to an $18 trillion dollar economy of 325 million people.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 04:29:25 PM »

Because "have wealthy and well-connected parents, go to Ivy League schools, then work on Wall Street" isn't readily transferable to an $18 trillion dollar economy of 325 million people.
Any success is still success imo unless it's just flat-out ripping people off
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2017, 05:09:18 PM »

Trump U, anyone?
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »

You're congratulating the catcher for being at home plate.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2017, 05:46:54 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2017, 05:48:40 PM by Çråbçæk »

The odd thing about Trumps cabinet is almost without fail, every single member made their fortune in entirely parasitic manners. I mean it's most obvious with DeVos, considering how her family made their fortune, but asset strippers and rentiers are the predominant species within cabinet (in addition to career politicians and military figures) rather than, say, inventors or innovators.

Ross is an especially dismal appointment that in a rational world would have been seen as a hideous betrayal of trust of coal miners by trump.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2017, 06:01:03 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2017, 06:03:29 PM by The Self »

The odd thing about Trumps cabinet is almost without fail, every single member made their fortune in entirely parasitic manners. I mean it's most obvious with DeVos, considering how her family made their fortune, but asset strippers and rentiers are the predominant species within cabinet (in addition to career politicians and military figures) rather than, say, inventors or innovators.

Ross is an especially dismal appointment that in a rational world would have been seen as a hideous betrayal of trust of coal miners by trump.

Precisely this. I know a number of fairly prominent businessmen - not national figures, but local ones - and almost to a man they detest Trump for just this reason. There certainly is a class war in America: between productive and nonproductive capital. Trump practically embodies the latter. In ages past we called them rentiers, and England had a long domestic cold war over the course of the entire nineteenth century struggling to get rid of them.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2017, 06:23:28 PM »

If only more poor (and lower middle class) people knew what Trump's really about, and voted their economic interests.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2017, 08:01:20 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2017, 08:09:40 PM »

Meh, making an ad of this would be a waste of money.

Nope. Dems need to run with this. Put together a vicious attack ad with this in it. Letting this slide would be a wasted opportunity
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »

Meh, making an ad of this would be a waste of money.

Nope. Dems need to run with this. Put together a vicious attack ad with this in it. Letting this slide would be a wasted opportunity

Please, don't.

Running against the stupid and evil things Trump says doesn't really work, and a great many of his supporters don't care.

Run against the stupid and evil things Trump does, that hurt a great many of his supporters or issues they care about.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies