Are we ever going to see quirks like these in a presidential election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:46:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Are we ever going to see quirks like these in a presidential election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are we ever going to see quirks like these in a presidential election?  (Read 387 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2017, 01:46:27 AM »
« edited: June 26, 2017, 01:50:38 AM by The Arizonan »

Sometimes I look at the presidential election maps and notice interesting patterns. These make me wonder if these streaks are going to continue.

Are we ever going to see weird quirks in presidential elections like a Republican winning without Ohio and/or Arizona or a Democrat somehow losing Washington, D.C.?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 08:36:10 AM »

Sometimes I look at the presidential election maps and notice interesting patterns. These make me wonder if these streaks are going to continue.

Are we ever going to see weird quirks in presidential elections like a Republican winning without Ohio and/or Arizona or a Democrat somehow losing Washington, D.C.?

Yes for the former, unless what it means to be a Democrat changes completely then no for the latter.
But really this is question without an answer, as you didn't really define "quirks", and you only gave 2 examples.
The Chill Moderate Republican
The Political Sandwich
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »

I like that line. Maybe in a 100 years the republicans will start to win the D.C metro area and the democrats will lose support in much of the rust belt.

But on to your main point of this quote. Ohio last voted for the loser in 1960 to Richard Nixon and Washington D.C has always voted for the same party by huge margins since it was added to the electoral college. We can always guess what the electoral map might be, but the map will always change, just like the times. 
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »

DC might go Republican eventually.

-The parties could change on a lot of issues.
-The demographics of DC could change.
-The Democrats could nominate someone who is convicted of murder in the last weeks of the election.

Also, if the US capital is moved somewhere else, the government jobs would leave.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 11:07:17 AM »

"Quirks" are becoming less likely as party perceptions solidify, as they have in each of the last several (at least 5) Presidential elections.

Up until 2016, any rural, conservative, Southern or Appalachian county that voted Democratic (Knott, KY; Elliott, KY; and others) could be seen as a quirk. Alas, I am unaware of a single such "quirk" in 2016.

I suspect that in the 1950s, a Republican winning without NJ would have been seen as quirky, but it happened in 2000, 2004, and 2016.

A Republican winning without OH or AZ is certainly possible as the demographics of these states change. I don't see the GOP ever being competitive in DC at the Presidential level; the closest election I recall in DC is when Marion Barry defeated Carol Schwartz for mayor, 56%-42%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies