Will Kennedy retire Monday?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:24:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Kennedy retire Monday?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Monday is the end of the term. If Kennedy is going to retire this year, that's when he'll do it. Will he?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Will Kennedy retire Monday?  (Read 4070 times)
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -2.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2017, 06:50:48 PM »

Yes or no?
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 07:02:45 PM »

What? It's the end of the term. That's when they retire. I don't understand what you mean.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 07:52:24 PM »

He probably won't. His retirement breaks this country for a while. It would at least break Atlas. Good luck signing in on Monday afternoon when he pulls this stunt.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 08:06:06 PM »

I hope not. I'd like to see a 50-50 Senate before he retires.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:13:01 PM »

For the good of the country, I hope not.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:23:11 PM »

I suspect he retires 2018, especially with the chance to serve a while with a former law clerk.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 09:25:55 PM »

He's more right wing than Roberts at this point.  What difference does it make?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:00:58 PM »

What? It's the end of the term. That's when they retire. I don't understand what you mean.

Every year, there are rumors that Kennedy is stepping down. No different this year. The rumor is coming out of nefarious alt right sources.

I mean...he could very well be retiring but this isnt the first time the rumors surfaced

All I know is that it would be very disruptive.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 10:05:31 PM »

Justice Kennedy didn't walk away while that guy Barry was President. Surely he has been waiting for an amazing GOP President like Donald Trump.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 10:08:08 PM »

I suspect he retires 2018, especially with the chance to serve a while with a former law clerk.
Is that precedented? Serving with a former law clerk?

Anyway, Murkowski and Collins won't let Trump push through even a Roberts or Gorsuch if Kennedy retires. The Judiciary Committee alone has Flake, Graham, Lee, Sasse, and Kennedy. Those five alone will be pretty tough on a Kennedy replacement nominated by Trump.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 10:21:27 PM »

Anyway, Murkowski and Collins won't let Trump push through even a Roberts or Gorsuch if Kennedy retires. The Judiciary Committee alone has Flake, Graham, Lee, Sasse, and Kennedy. Those five alone will be pretty tough on a Kennedy replacement nominated by Trump.

It's never happened before, ever. Trump was mentioning its unprecedented nature at Gorsuch's swearing in.

(I actually agree with Trump that it's a neat factoid)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 10:23:54 PM »

Basically, the question then becomes if that 50th Republican is ready for the consequences of sending the nominee to be rubber stamped by Pence to overturn everything from Roe to West Coast Hotel.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 11:04:20 PM »

I hope not. If he goes, it'll shift SCOTUS radically to the right. Gorsuch replacing Scalia was largely a straight swap, with some ticks to the right; however, any Trump pick that replaces Kennedy will be several ticks to the right.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 11:08:57 PM »

I hope not. If he goes, it'll shift SCOTUS radically to the right. Gorsuch replacing Scalia was largely a straight swap, with some ticks to the right; however, any Trump pick that replaces Kennedy will be several ticks to the right.

I'm skeptical, personally, of the study that suggested Gorsuch was that right of Scalia.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 11:15:51 PM »

Justice Kennedy didn't walk away while that guy Barry was President. Surely he has been waiting for an amazing GOP President like Donald Trump.
If he's waiting for an amazing GOP President, then it's not Trump he's waiting for. I don't see Kennedy retiring. He enjoys his job, and has no debilitating health problems.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 11:33:20 PM »

I'm skeptical, personally, of the study that suggested Gorsuch was that right of Scalia.

I think it's safe to say that Gorsuch is too Scalias right on Chevron, which is a BFD, but with that exception, I agree with you. They seem to be very similar in judicial philosophy.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 01:57:40 AM »

Scalia was decently libertarian on police/civil liberties stuff. Gorsuch isn't.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 02:21:09 AM »

If he's waiting for an amazing GOP President, then it's not Trump he's waiting for. I don't see Kennedy retiring. He enjoys his job, and has no debilitating health problems.

Kennedy's kids are friendly with the Trump kids. The general consensus seems to be that Kennedy is stepping down by next June at latest.

Why? Kennedy enjoys his job. If he'd wanted to enjoy retirement, he easily could've retired under Dubya when he was in his 70s. The only reason for any Republican justice to retire in 2018 would be if the GOP was in danger of losing the Senate, and Thomas might be interested in retiring at age 70 next year.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 02:47:42 AM »

Sasse and Lee are movement conservatives. They will likely vote for whoever it is along as Fed Soc adores them.
EnglishPete

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 09:27:23 AM »

Do we need to have this endless speculation based on what 'sources' i.e. rumours say? Only Kennedy could know for certain if and when he might intend to retire. There'll be time enough to discusshis replacement if and when he goes.
daveosupremo
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 09:45:15 AM »

Do we need to have this endless speculation based on what 'sources' i.e. rumours say? Only Kennedy could know for certain if and when he might intend to retire. There'll be time enough to discusshis replacement if and when he goes.

Nobody said anything about rumors. Kennedy is 80, and if he retires this year, it'll be Monday. I was simply curious about what the forum thought was going to happen.

Besides, do we really need to have endless speculation based on rumors of who the replacement will be, when only Trump could no for certain. Perhaps you should have Justice or Likely Voter delete the 2020 thread because nobody will know what happens until November 2020, and the forum is just getting cluttered with speculation based on nothing but sources.

I honestly don't know why some people are so touchy about certain threads. This is a forum for political junkies to discuss the political stories of the day. A huge percentage of it is speculation based on nothing.

You should probably just get over it.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 10:01:19 AM »

I think Kennedy aims to be carried out of the Supreme Court on a stretcher, damn him.

One part of me will celebrate his departure, however and whenever he does vacate the seat, but another part of me worries that whomever replaces him will unlikely be much better. A little better, maybe, but not Learned Hand level quality.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 10:12:25 AM »

He's more right wing than Roberts at this point.  What difference does it make?

His successor would likely be just as, if not more, conservative than him. But more importantly, the successor would probably be about 30 years younger.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 01:48:06 PM »

Kennedy isn't going to retire while the sitting president is under investigation for obstruction of justice.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2017, 01:56:56 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies