Will Kennedy retire Monday?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:08:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Kennedy retire Monday?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Monday is the end of the term. If Kennedy is going to retire this year, that's when he'll do it. Will he?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Will Kennedy retire Monday?  (Read 4014 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2017, 04:21:05 PM »

The only thing that will change is concealed weapons and right to bear arms. Gerrymandering will be up to the states, and Democrats will be elected statewide in 2018 and 2020 and Roe v Wade and SSM will be restricted to NY, CA, IL etc
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2017, 04:27:58 PM »

The only thing that will change is concealed weapons and right to bear arms. Gerrymandering will be up to the states, and Democrats will be elected statewide in 2018 and 2020 and Roe v Wade and SSM will be restricted to NY, CA, IL etc

Uhhhh that seems like a pretty big deal IMO.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »

If that is true, I would be furious at Trump for delaying the overturning of Roe by another year at least.  Over a million babies lose their lives every year that we delay on banning abortion once and for all!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »

If that is true, I would be furious at Trump for delaying the overturning of Roe by another year at least.  Over a million babies lose their lives every year that we delay on banning abortion once and for all!

I don't thonk it will work that way.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2017, 05:02:43 PM »

I don't think so, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did in the next year or two.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2017, 05:15:06 PM »

"REPORT: Supreme Court Justice May Retiring THIS YEAR"

http://www.sarahpalin.com/report-supreme-court-justice-may-retiring-year/?ref=Ads

Insiders may confirming TODAY!
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2017, 05:50:31 PM »

How many unwanted and abandoned children will you take in should Roe v Wade get overturned? Any black babies? Babies born with serious health problems?

Godamn hypocrites

So we should just let them be murdered instead?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2017, 05:53:28 PM »

How many unwanted and abandoned children will you take in should Roe v Wade get overturned? Any black babies? Babies born with serious health problems?

Godamn hypocrites

Are you more interested in locking people up than giving more potential the ability to begin?
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017, 05:53:45 PM »

Godamn hypocrites

It's not murder. They're not people.

The conservative need to expand personhood to non-people - fetuses, corporations, nationalities - strikes me like a relic of animism.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2017, 05:54:47 PM »

Godamn hypocrites

The conservative need to expand personhood to non-people - fetuses, corporations, nationalities - strikes me like a relic of animism.

Well, how do you fight human rights? Dilute them.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 05:55:38 PM »

Godamn hypocrites

In fairness, I don't believe that 'human rights' exist in any ontological sense. They're mere social conventions.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2017, 05:59:25 PM »

Godamn hypocrites

In fairness, I don't believe that 'human rights' exist in any ontological sense. They're mere social conventions.

Well, let's say this- personhood begins when the chemical reactions that lead to birth start..and we are just chemical reactions then we are just chemicals that are commodities to the powers that be abd "the common good".
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »

Every year, there are rumors that Kennedy is stepping down. No different this year. The rumor is coming out of nefarious alt right sources.

I mean...he could very well be retiring but this isnt the first time the rumors surfaced
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2017, 07:04:50 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2017, 07:06:39 PM by Da-Jon Cory Booker-4-Prez »

If that is true, I would be furious at Trump for delaying the overturning of Roe by another year at least.  Over a million babies lose their lives every year that we delay on banning abortion once and for all!

TX and many of the Southern states have passed laws restricting a woman's right to abortion to 20 weeks. It will have no effect on CA, IL and NY and the coast.

I am beginning to want him to step down and get it over with.  And see if Roberts or Thomas, who sided with liberals, from time to time, on Obamacare and on gerrymandering will do now.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2017, 07:07:49 PM »

Obviously, this is not the thread for a debate on the morality/legality of abortion.

But let me clear some things up:

Pro-life people generally believe that abortion is murder.
Pro-choice people generally do not.

Nearly everyone agrees that murder should be illegal.

Thus if the traditional pro-life that the fetus is alive is correct, then abortion is murder and should be illegal, end of discussion.  Conversely, if the fetus is just a lifeless clump of cells abortion should remain legal.

If the pro-life position is correct, then the lack of facilities to care for the unwanted children is no excuse for keeping murder legal.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2017, 07:09:11 PM »

Right. And my position is that your position is wrong, predicated on a false morality informed by a false value stemming originating in a false religion.

We know this.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »

Right. And my position is that your position is wrong, predicated on a false morality informed by a false value stemming originating in a false religion.

We know this.

I understand that you think my religion is wrong (though this is also the traditional Islamic/Jewish/Buddhist/Hindu/Sikh position).

I'm just saying that "What are you going to do with all those unwanted children?" is not a legitimate response to "abortion is murder and therefore it should be illegal."
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2017, 07:19:36 PM »

We know this.

I understand that you think my religion is wrong (though this is also the traditional Islamic/Jewish/Buddhist/Hindu/Sikh position).

I'm just saying that "What are you going to do with all those unwanted children?" is not a legitimate response to "abortion is murder and therefore it should be illegal."

My response is "your understanding of the subject is antithetical to freedom; and freedom will win."
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2017, 07:26:14 PM »

Clinton knew that this was an important election and she blew it on her ethics. There may not be another chance where a female will be able to run for president again.  Ferraro, had ethics with her husband and then Palin and then Hillary.  Sorry, Kamela Harris and Amy Klobuchar.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2017, 07:36:57 PM »

Clinton knew that this was an important election and she blew it on her ethics. There may not be another chance where a female will be able to run for president again.  Ferraro, had ethics with her husband and then Palin and then Hillary.  Sorry, Kamela Harris and Amy Klobuchar.

Ever? Why? If anything, post-Trump it seems even more likely, at least within the next generation.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2017, 01:28:37 AM »

Booker will unify the Dems and win WI and VA and Kamela Harris will defer to him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2017, 01:55:36 AM »

Since Kennedy might retire, Thomas may be consequential in gerrymandering, since his North Carolina decision, the only thing that matters up from now into 2030.  And Justice Roberts will be the deciding vote in immigration reform if a secular Congress lead by Booker in 2021 passes it by nuking the filibuster.

Roe and SSM and concealed carry are states rights issue. There is a silver lining.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2017, 03:23:54 AM »

Crucial votes on the Kennedy vacancy will be Heller, Murkowski and Collins.

I hope it's a conservative Latino, not Estrada or woman not Harriet Myers.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2017, 02:44:37 PM »

Eliana Johnson‏ @elianayjohnson
No Kennedy retirement announcement at clerk reunion, I'm told, leading to dimming WH hopes he'll step down this year.

https://twitter.com/elianayjohnson/status/879033923891847169
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2017, 03:02:49 PM »

Not likely.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length