Will Kennedy retire Monday?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:53:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Kennedy retire Monday?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Monday is the end of the term. If Kennedy is going to retire this year, that's when he'll do it. Will he?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Will Kennedy retire Monday?  (Read 4020 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2017, 05:42:22 PM »

If he stays, and they all stay for another year or five years, and then they start croaking, I imagine that unless Democrats gice Trump a list and he agrees to a justice, the SCOTUS will go from 9 to 5 seats. Kagan, Sotomayor, Roberts, Alito, Gorsuch.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2017, 05:49:56 PM »

My money is on Trump nominating Boris Johnson.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2017, 05:54:13 PM »

On Gerrymandering, all the Dems have to do is secure the House in 2018 and win the majority of governorships in 2018, so that any Trump appointment can't start monkeying around with Congressonal redistricting that the Dems put up for 2020.

The Conservative Justices are more likely to put a stay on the Democratic gains in 2020 than if the Dems give them a favorable map for reapportionment in the minority.

Clarence Thomas already ruled on Democratic gerrymandering in NC that affirms this. So, lets get started.

As for the other issues, 20 week Abortions are gonna be the limit with parental notification. As well as Obamacare, because of Justice Roberts.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2017, 06:16:06 PM »

Did someone really link to SarahPalin.com?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »

On Gerrymandering, all the Dems have to do is secure the House in 2018 and win the majority of governorships in 2018, so that any Trump appointment can't start monkeying around with Congressonal redistricting that the Dems put up for 2020.

The Conservative Justices are more likely to put a stay on the Democratic gains in 2020 than if the Dems give them a favorable map for reapportionment in the minority.

Clarence Thomas already ruled on Democratic gerrymandering in NC that affirms this. So, lets get started.

As for the other issues, 20 week Abortions are gonna be the limit with parental notification. As well as Obamacare, because of Justice Roberts.
State legislatures control redistricting, not the House. Independent redistricting commissions can also reduce gerrymandering.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »

"Sarahpalin.com"
Yeah... no.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »

No. Not tomorrow, June 26. Maybe late June 2018.

If Ginsburg or Kennedy retires, the Democratic Party and the left will go insane.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2017, 07:26:35 PM »

No, not insane, because we know that the economy, even with unemployment rate down, isn't all that good with homelessness. And when you have a difficult economy, eventhough Democrats are good for the poor, people don't want their taxes raised. That's why Trump and the GOP won.

Dems will be disillusioned, but will want to win in 2020.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2017, 03:50:47 AM »

^No, he's right about how the left will feel. There's nothing Trump or the Republicans can do that scares me more than creating the most conservative Supreme Court in over 80 years. Chief Justice Roberts as the new swing justice would only mitigate the reinstatement of the Lochner Era and elimination of the progress of the Warren Court and beyond.

If Democrats fought as Republicans do, they'd be threatening to increase the Court's membership, as I think they should if the current paradigm is too much disturbed. If the right gets 5, Democrats should campaign for 11. A fifth right-wing justice represents a threat to a vast number of civil liberties and rights we take for granted now. This country and all it represents would cease to exist. That's not hyperbole. I mean every word of it.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2017, 06:59:46 AM »

Yes, I feel your pain and I lay the blame on Clinton. The NRA along with Koch brothers put this right wing govt we have. But, voters don't want their taxes raised, that's why conservatives govern.

Miranda rights and equal liberties are in the Constitution.

But, voter rights with conservative gerrrymandering can set Dems back in House again. But, if Dems gain the House this year, they can free themselves of that burden.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2017, 07:13:47 AM »

No, but I'm afraid he will retire during this presential term and hand Trump at least one more appointment.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2017, 01:02:30 PM »

Probably not. He probably realizes his seat is worth too much right now for him to retire and give trump another Supreme Court seat.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies