Will Kennedy retire Monday? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:21:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Kennedy retire Monday? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Monday is the end of the term. If Kennedy is going to retire this year, that's when he'll do it. Will he?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Will Kennedy retire Monday?  (Read 4102 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 23, 2017, 07:52:24 PM »

He probably won't. His retirement breaks this country for a while. It would at least break Atlas. Good luck signing in on Monday afternoon when he pulls this stunt.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 10:00:58 PM »

What? It's the end of the term. That's when they retire. I don't understand what you mean.

Every year, there are rumors that Kennedy is stepping down. No different this year. The rumor is coming out of nefarious alt right sources.

I mean...he could very well be retiring but this isnt the first time the rumors surfaced

All I know is that it would be very disruptive.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 10:23:54 PM »

I suspect he retires 2018, especially with the chance to serve a while with a former law clerk.
Is that precedented? Serving with a former law clerk?

Anyway, Murkowski and Collins won't let Trump push through even a Roberts or Gorsuch if Kennedy retires. The Judiciary Committee alone has Flake, Graham, Lee, Sasse, and Kennedy. Those five alone will be pretty tough on a Kennedy replacement nominated by Trump.

Basically, the question then becomes if that 50th Republican is ready for the consequences of sending the nominee to be rubber stamped by Pence to overturn everything from Roe to West Coast Hotel.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »

If that is true, I would be furious at Trump for delaying the overturning of Roe by another year at least.  Over a million babies lose their lives every year that we delay on banning abortion once and for all!

I don't thonk it will work that way.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 05:53:28 PM »

If that is true, I would be furious at Trump for delaying the overturning of Roe by another year at least.  Over a million babies lose their lives every year that we delay on banning abortion once and for all!

How many unwanted and abandoned children will you take in should Roe v Wade get overturned? Any black babies? Babies born with serious health problems?

Godamn hypocrites

So we should just let them be murdered instead?

Are you more interested in locking people up than giving more potential the ability to begin?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 05:54:47 PM »

How many unwanted and abandoned children will you take in should Roe v Wade get overturned? Any black babies? Babies born with serious health problems?

Godamn hypocrites

It's not murder. They're not people.

The conservative need to expand personhood to non-people - fetuses, corporations, nationalities - strikes me like a relic of animism.

Well, how do you fight human rights? Dilute them.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 05:59:25 PM »

Godamn hypocrites

It's not murder. They're not people.

The conservative need to expand personhood to non-people - fetuses, corporations, nationalities - strikes me like a relic of animism.

Well, how do you fight human rights? Dilute them.

In fairness, I don't believe that 'human rights' exist in any ontological sense. They're mere social conventions.

Well, let's say this- personhood begins when the chemical reactions that lead to birth start..and we are just chemical reactions then we are just chemicals that are commodities to the powers that be abd "the common good".
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 05:42:22 PM »

If he stays, and they all stay for another year or five years, and then they start croaking, I imagine that unless Democrats gice Trump a list and he agrees to a justice, the SCOTUS will go from 9 to 5 seats. Kagan, Sotomayor, Roberts, Alito, Gorsuch.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies