Ditch Mitch 2020 Megathread!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:50:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ditch Mitch 2020 Megathread!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Ditch Mitch 2020 Megathread!!  (Read 8563 times)
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2017, 09:10:12 PM »

Who are the best people who have the guts to take on the Mitch McConnell political machine of Kentucky in 2020? How will it be done. What will they have to do? Will the success or failure of the Trump administration affect this?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 10:26:41 PM »

An election is not actually held for McConnell's seat. Yes, ballots are cast, but instead of counting them, state officials roll dice to determine his margin of victory - McConnell losing is not an option.

TL;DR: McConnell will never be defeated.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 10:51:29 PM »

An election is not actually held for McConnell's seat. Yes, ballots are cast, but instead of counting them, state officials roll dice to determine his margin of victory - McConnell losing is not an option.

Hahaha! That's richer than his wife!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 10:53:30 PM »

Sorry, won't happened. But, we could make him the minority leader if we play our cards right...
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 11:02:37 PM »

It's funny how she's now qualified for her cabinet position because in the past she was appointed to a position she was unqualified for.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 11:11:31 PM »

Sorry, won't happened. But, we could make him the minority leader if we play our cards right...
The reason he won in 2014 against the blue dog Allison Grimes was because his super PACs funded ads that compared her to Obama who was even more unpopular. It was also a wave year for the GOP while Obama was near his lowest approval rating nationally. Without that "black bogeyman" in the White House, coal country will be open to a new face and party that will actually care about there communities instead of Wall Street and corporate interests.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 11:13:50 PM »

It's funny how she's now qualified for her cabinet position because in the past she was appointed to a position she was unqualified for.
I guess Trump nominated her to gain the loyalty of her husband and let her chose which department she wants to lead.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 11:15:52 PM »

Judd 2020.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 11:20:34 PM »

Isnt there a liberal grand wizard the Democrats could run?

Ghost of Robert Byrd 2020!
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 11:23:30 PM »

How about this dude from California:P
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-14/ku-klux-klan-grand-dragon-will-quigg-endorses-hillary-clinton-for-president
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 11:34:16 PM »

How about this dude from California:P

W. Kamau Bell is a progressive who seems quite comfortable with them!
http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2016/04/14/474215754/comic-w-kamau-bell-on-standing-tall-and-finding-humor-in-americas-racism
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 11:34:38 PM »

The reason he won in 2014 against the blue dog Allison Grimes was because his super PACs funded ads that compared her to Obama who was even more unpopular. It was also a wave year for the GOP while Obama was near his lowest approval rating nationally. Without that "black bogeyman" in the White House, coal country will be open to a new face and party that will actually care about there communities instead of Wall Street and corporate interests.

It's not just 2014, he wins and wins and wins and wins, there are better seats up for grabs than kentucky, let's focus on those instead of wasting money on this one.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 11:34:48 PM »

I can believe this.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 11:51:05 PM »

If I were a Democrat, I'd want Andy Beshear to get in. I imagine many people in Kentucky of all places who Democrats would need to flip to win the seat would NOT vote for her because she's a celebrity. I imagine Hollywood stars are unpopular there, and if Democrats want to make inroads in Middle America again, they should not make Hollywood their face, which they sure did at events like the Womens' March.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 12:40:24 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2017, 12:45:45 AM by LouisvilleThunder »

If I were a Democrat, I'd want Andy Beshear to get in. I imagine many people in Kentucky of all places who Democrats would need to flip to win the seat would NOT vote for her because she's a celebrity. I imagine Hollywood stars are unpopular there, and if Democrats want to make inroads in Middle America again, they should not make Hollywood their face, which they sure did at events like the Womens' March.
I agree with your assessment especially since his father was a popular Democratic governor who survived the Obama years in Kentucky. He could also be interested in running for governor against Bevin in 2019 instead. It is definitely possible for him to do both, but he might be seen as a political opportunist who is part of a dynasty. Although, I think that people's attitudes toward political dynasties might change after a few years of a disastrous Trump administration who is a political outsider who had no experience. Trump was a celebrity whose base centers in Appalachia, the south, and the midwest which all collide in Kentucky.
I think Kentucky will be well served by some intelligent athlete who played for a college team like the University of Louisville (UofL) or the University of Kentucky (UK- based in Lexington). He can be an outsider and can command the respect of all races and classes. A possible problem to this is that the rivalry between UofL and UK seems more intense than the level of polarization in its politics (which is quite low compared to most states which plays to the advantage of the Democrats) as Kentuckians are actually more loyal to their teams than their parties. It might work out. Who knows!?!?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 12:45:50 AM »

It's not just 2014, he wins and wins and wins and wins, there are better seats up for grabs than kentucky, let's focus on those instead of wasting money on this one.

2008 was a really narrow one to be fair.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 12:50:26 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2017, 01:37:20 AM by LouisvilleThunder »

2008 was a really narrow one to be fair.
Mitch only survived because he shared the ballot with Obama, and there were a lot of angry conservative democrats who stayed home on election day. In 2004, Jim Bunning won by less than a percentage point, even though GWB won KY by 20 points and the anti-gay marriage amendment was even more popular. Downballot Democrats always outperform the presidential nominee.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 01:50:07 AM »

I agree with your assessment especially since his father was a popular Democratic governor who survived the Obama years in Kentucky. He could also be interested in running for governor against Bevin in 2019 instead. It is definitely possible for him to do both, but he might be seen as a political opportunist who is part of a dynasty. Although, I think that people's attitudes toward political dynasties might change after a few years of a disastrous Trump administration who is a political outsider who had no experience. Trump was a celebrity whose base centers in Appalachia, the south, and the midwest which all collide in Kentucky.
I think Kentucky will be well served by some intelligent athlete who played for a college team like the University of Louisville (UofL) or the University of Kentucky (UK- based in Lexington). He can be an outsider and can command the respect of all races and classes. A possible problem to this is that the rivalry between UofL and UK seems more intense than the level of polarization in its politics (which is quite low compared to most states which plays to the advantage of the Democrats) as Kentuckians are actually more loyal to their teams than their parties. It might work out. Who knows!?!?
I don't think Beshear runs for Governor, I think the term-limited Alison Lundergan Grimes does She probably won't try again against McConnell, she lost by over 15 against McConnell in what was hyped up as competitive, and in 2020, she has to share the ballot with Trump. Trump was obviously a celebrity (The Apprentice) but also had lots of business experience and just doesn't have the West Coast vibe that much of Hollywood does (I guess it's because he's no social liberal).
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »

At this point, I think it's more likely that McConnell loses in the primary. And that isn't very likely at all.
Andy Hine
Rookie
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 12:28:35 PM »

What if Mcconnell retires?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 12:37:57 PM »

Another Republican will essentially be coronated.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 01:06:17 PM »

I guess Trump nominated her to gain the loyalty of her husband and let her chose which department she wants to lead.
She has a near-unprecedented amount of experience for Transportation. I can't think of a single Secretary of Transportation with as much prior experience in the office as her.

She has never been appointed to a position she was unqualified for, either. Wikipedia:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Chao had experience in a shipping company before becoming a Commissioner of the Federal Maritime Commission and Administrator, then Deputy Secretary of Transportation, then Director of the Peace Corps, then Secretary of Labor, and now Secretary of Transportation.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 01:40:11 PM »

Yes, Mitch McConnell and Joni Ernst are vulnerable
Tillis and Cory Gardner are surely gonna lose in 2020 as their states respectively are trending away and this will give Dems their Senate majority
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 02:08:13 PM »

Tillis and Cory Gardner are surely gonna lose in 2020 as their states respectively are trending away and this will give Dems their Senate majority
Alaska, Montana, and Georgia can also easily flip as well as Maine if Collins retires. Texas, Louisiana, Kansas, South Carolina, West Virginia, and Mississippi can also flip if Trump loses in a landslide and if their senators retire.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2017, 06:48:32 PM »

Alaska, Montana, and Georgia can also easily flip as well as Maine if Collins retires. Texas, Louisiana, Kansas, South Carolina, West Virginia, and Mississippi can also flip if Trump loses in a landslide and if their senators retire.

I love how you people are already writing off Gardner and Tillis like over 3 years in advance, and calling the defeat of Sullivan, Daines, and Perdue easy, and don't even get me started on MS and SC...
really solid crap that yall are selling...
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies