Ditch Mitch 2020 Megathread!! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:28:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ditch Mitch 2020 Megathread!! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ditch Mitch 2020 Megathread!!  (Read 8679 times)
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« on: June 23, 2017, 11:51:05 PM »

If I were a Democrat, I'd want Andy Beshear to get in. I imagine many people in Kentucky of all places who Democrats would need to flip to win the seat would NOT vote for her because she's a celebrity. I imagine Hollywood stars are unpopular there, and if Democrats want to make inroads in Middle America again, they should not make Hollywood their face, which they sure did at events like the Womens' March.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:50:07 AM »

If I were a Democrat, I'd want Andy Beshear to get in. I imagine many people in Kentucky of all places who Democrats would need to flip to win the seat would NOT vote for her because she's a celebrity. I imagine Hollywood stars are unpopular there, and if Democrats want to make inroads in Middle America again, they should not make Hollywood their face, which they sure did at events like the Womens' March.
I agree with your assessment especially since his father was a popular Democratic governor who survived the Obama years in Kentucky. He could also be interested in running for governor against Bevin in 2019 instead. It is definitely possible for him to do both, but he might be seen as a political opportunist who is part of a dynasty. Although, I think that people's attitudes toward political dynasties might change after a few years of a disastrous Trump administration who is a political outsider who had no experience. Trump was a celebrity whose base centers in Appalachia, the south, and the midwest which all collide in Kentucky.
I think Kentucky will be well served by some intelligent athlete who played for a college team like the University of Louisville (UofL) or the University of Kentucky (UK- based in Lexington). He can be an outsider and can command the respect of all races and classes. A possible problem to this is that the rivalry between UofL and UK seems more intense than the level of polarization in its politics (which is quite low compared to most states which plays to the advantage of the Democrats) as Kentuckians are actually more loyal to their teams than their parties. It might work out. Who knows!?!?
I don't think Beshear runs for Governor, I think the term-limited Alison Lundergan Grimes does She probably won't try again against McConnell, she lost by over 15 against McConnell in what was hyped up as competitive, and in 2020, she has to share the ballot with Trump. Trump was obviously a celebrity (The Apprentice) but also had lots of business experience and just doesn't have the West Coast vibe that much of Hollywood does (I guess it's because he's no social liberal).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies