Obama's cabinet has been cashing in and selling out so far (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:15:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama's cabinet has been cashing in and selling out so far (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama's cabinet has been cashing in and selling out so far  (Read 2281 times)
The Self
Rookie
« on: June 24, 2017, 04:16:37 PM »

The entire point of a career in government is to cash out and become wealthy at the end of it, for many. It is really hard to blame Obama officials for acting like the officials of any modern Administration.

Why should these people act differently? The entire point of getting in on this game is knowing that at the end of the road, people will offer you oodles of cash to use your influence and connections for their benefit.

Of course, if that's the case (and it certainly is) you must understand the rightful skepticism most have towards the government's ability to accomplish socially egalitarian ends is perfectly justified. And if the structure of the State itself makes egalitarianism impossible, what's the raison d'être for anybody to continue to vote for the Democrats?
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 04:33:29 PM »

The entire point of a career in government is to cash out and become wealthy at the end of it, for many. It is really hard to blame Obama officials for acting like the officials of any modern Administration.

Why should these people act differently? The entire point of getting in on this game is knowing that at the end of the road, people will offer you oodles of cash to use your influence and connections for their benefit.

Of course, if that's the case (and it certainly is) you must understand the rightful skepticism most have towards the government's ability to accomplish socially egalitarian ends is perfectly justified. And if the structure of the State itself makes egalitarianism impossible, what's the raison d'être for anybody to continue to vote for the Democrats?

Maybe because some of us don't view the Democratic Party as an egalitarian party (which it has never really been)?

Then it shouldn't advertise itself as such. And I mean that - it needs to be completely consistent in its messaging and not, in fact, appeal to any egalitarian sentiment whatsoever.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »

Nonsense, Mikado. The Democratic party has always been an egalitarian party since Andrew Jackson handed out his first spoil, and these people are going against that, which is why their actions are so outrageous.

Well, it certainly advertised itself as such. But was Jacksonian 'egalitarianism' motivated for purely unselfish reasons, or was it a cover for material interests - say, agrarian slavery?

Likewise, was the New Deal a completely egalitarian attempt at benefiting the working class, or was it rather a masquerade ball for East Coast financial interests invested in its public works projects?
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »

This happens after every administration, but it's a problem with the true leftist after the black man leaves office.  Very strange.

The implication here being the tired allegation that Bernie Bros are all Secret Trumpsters, right?
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 06:34:41 PM »

This happens after every administration, but it's a problem with the true leftist after the black man leaves office.  Very strange.

The implication here being the tired allegation that Bernie Bros are all Secret Trumpsters, right?
Or that many white leftists seem to have a problem now.  Just strange that many of those who are complaining about it are people who have worked in politics and themselves cashed out after leaving.  But I'm sure it is for a good reason.

Also, I never made a connection to Bernie Bros, wonder why you have to jump to that conclusion?

Many of the people complaining about it now weren't alive the last time a Democratic Administration cashed out.

And I didn't make the connection. You did. I'm simply not in the business of lying to myself about the intentions of others.

Incidentally, I was a Gary Johnson voter in the past two elections.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 06:50:54 PM »

In other words: "Yes to market economy, no to market society."

A pipe dream. All that is solid melts into air, after all.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 07:22:17 PM »

Or that many white leftists seem to have a problem now.  Just strange that many of those who are complaining about it are people who have worked in politics and themselves cashed out after leaving.  But I'm sure it is for a good reason.

Also, I never made a connection to Bernie Bros, wonder why you have to jump to that conclusion?

Many of the people complaining about it now weren't alive the last time a Democratic Administration cashed out.

And I didn't make the connection. You did. I'm simply not in the business of lying to myself about the intentions of others.

Incidentally, I was a Gary Johnson voter in the past two elections.
Point out in the post where I said Bernie Bros.  I'll be waiting.

How dumb do you think we are? Just curious.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Why should I feel ashamed of having voted for the best candidate in the last election?
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 08:07:03 PM »

Reposting this here for a bit of clarity on my posts.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Once more, with feeling:

1. A huge percentage of the people complaining about it now were either unborn or very young under Clinton and Bush.

2. Many more of them simply weren't paying attention at the time, or didn't have access to the Internet, where learning about public corruption is far easier.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies