Atlanta "Civil Rights" Demonstration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:40:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Atlanta "Civil Rights" Demonstration
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlanta "Civil Rights" Demonstration  (Read 1688 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2005, 01:15:21 AM »

Did anybody hear about the "civil rights" march in Atlanta this past weekend?  It was the usual to be expected from the "civil rights" movement -- dedicated to a problem that existed forty years ago and no longer does, full of false overheated rhetoric, and silent on today's pressing issues.  Absolutely pathetic, especially that people like Nancy Pelosi attended.  These people need to get a life. ______________________________________________

Hatefest in Atlanta

It was billed as a civil rights march to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the signing of the Voting Rights Act, but there was nothing civil about it.

The march in Atlanta was, as my fellow talk show host Mychal Massie described it, "a pep rally for hatred." He blasted the participants, who included U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., the Rev. Jesse Jackson, U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif., "judge" Greg Mathis and singer Harry Belafonte, all of whom charged that economically disadvantaged blacks were being held down by the Bush administration in a racist America.

"Combined, these people have a greater aggregate income than some Third World countries," Massie said. "How has America hurt them? How have they been injured by what's taking place in America? And where are their ideas and solutions?"
The answer is that they have none. What they do have is a tendency to promote racist hatred. Just listen to what some of them said:

Harry Belafonte: Commenting on the impact prominent blacks such as former Secretary of State Colin Powell and current Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice had on the Bush administration's relations with minorities, he raised the specter of Nazism.

"Hitler had a lot of Jews high up in the hierarchy of the Third Reich. Color does not necessarily denote quality, content or value. [If] a black is a tyrant, he is first and foremost a tyrant, then he incidentally is black. Bush is a tyrant and if he gathers around him black tyrants, they all have to be treated as they are being treated."

Although Belafonte is now retracting some of his assertions about the number of Jews in the Third Reich, he continues to draw parallels between Nazi Germany and the Bush administration.

Speaking of conservative blacks to Cybercast News Service, civil rights activist Dick Gregory said: "They have a right to exist, but why would I want to walk around with a swastika on my shirt after the way Hitler done messed it [the swastika symbol] up? So why would I want to call myself a conservative after the way them white racists thugs have used that word to hide behind? They call themselves new Republicans."

TV Judge Greg Mathis, star of the syndicated television program "The Judge Mathis Show," said the Bush administration and Republican Party leaders are "thieves" who "need to be locked up" for stealing the past two presidential elections and presiding over federal budget deficits and the war in Iraq.

This guy plays a judge?

A lot of the rhetoric was aimed at the extension of two provisions of the Voting Rights Act, which some warned might be prevented, while others called for changes when it comes up for extension in 2007 or hinted that the whole thing will be junked.

Here we once again have alleged leaders of the black community who go down there and rile up their followers about an issue that is truly bogus. The Voting Rights Act is not going to disappear in 2007. The two provisions up for renewal will be renewed, and they know it.

For Harry Belafonte to call Condoleezza Rice, Colin Powell and others "tyrants" around George Bush and equate them to Jews being around Hitler is just plain outrageous.

If this so-called black leadership in the country truly wanted to help their fellow blacks, they would be talking about problems that are decimating the black community. They could start with the idea of putting fathers back in the homes and putting education first. If you really want to come out of poverty, if you want to better yourself, you have to be educated and you have to have families with both mothers and fathers in the home.

It's unconscionable that every time someone in the black community reaches a position of power such as a Colin Powell or a Condi Rice or a Judge Thomas, they are called Uncle Toms or tyrants and slandered and attacked by the so-called black leadership, whose only remedy for the problems in the black community is to spew hatred.

And when a prominent black such as Bill Cosby calls upon black fathers to shoulder their responsibilities and take their place as heads of families, and tells black youth to stay in school and work hard and study and make something of themselves, he is viciously attacked by the demagogues who masquerade as black leaders.

What is wrong with this picture?

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 01:23:29 AM »

My conclusion is that Harry Belafonte is a fücktard.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:38:51 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2005, 01:40:22 AM by dazzleman »

My conclusion is that Harry Belafonte is a fücktard.

He's made these types of comments before.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to take the concerns of blacks in general seriously as long as the black community is represented by this motley crew.  They need to get some new leadership -- fast.

Why are they even talking about voting rights at this point?  Their voting rights are not threatened, and they know it.  These leaders just find it easier to talk about past problems that are already gone, because they're not intelligent enough to address today's problems.

And the Democratic party is only too happy to sign onto this garbage, it seems.  It guess it guarantees they'll continue to get 90+% of the black vote.  Pretty pathetic.  That should all the vote they get, if they back up this type of garbage.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 01:42:37 AM »

The list of things right with it is shorter.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 01:43:58 AM »

The list of things right with it is shorter.

....a lot shorter, as in non-existent.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 08:00:47 AM »

Just another reason to replace Nancy Pelosi as House Minority Leader.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 08:06:20 AM »

Why are they even talking about voting rights at this point?  Their voting rights are not threatened, and they know it. 

Florida 2000? Ohio 2004?

Republicans try to suppress the black vote all the time.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 08:09:16 AM »

Why are they even talking about voting rights at this point?  Their voting rights are not threatened, and they know it. 

Florida 2000? Ohio 2004?

Republicans try to suppress the black vote all the time.

And then, you know what's funny?  They claim to be diversifying by putting Clarence Thomas on the Supreme Court on Condi Rice in the Cabinet.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 08:17:52 AM »

Those Atlanta conferencees should consider the fact that black Americans have a greater per capita income than Scandinavians, and that, if they formed a nation, it would be something like the 10th-15th richest.

So much prosperity for so degraded a species . . .

But that doesn't matter to those poverty pimps, race baiters, and guilty white leftoids -- seriously, how many blacks does Nancy Pelosi represent in congress anyway, ten thousand or so in a city with a population of three-quarters of a million -- all that matters to them is that their supply of taxpayer-funded loot has been shut off by the Bush administration.

I do feel *a little* sorry for the ten thousand San Francisco blacks, though. With representatives like Pelosi, Boxer, Burton, Feinstein, etc., their lot in life will never improve. Same goes for the Mississippi Delta blacks Jesse Jackson routinely hustles whenever bad press from his affairs gets too overwhelming.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 08:21:53 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2005, 08:23:39 AM by MODU »

Yeah, so much for "growing up" and leaving the sins of our fathers behind.  All this does is reinforce racism, which is what Jesse Jackassson does well. 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 08:29:49 AM »

Correct. However, you have to understand how these people think. These are mostly Scoonie/jfern types, who think that cracking down on voter fraud amounts to suppressing the black vote.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 08:42:11 AM »

Harry Belafonte's heart is in the right place, which does count for something, even if his public statements don't have much savvy. As I've already said, Bill Cosby's affluence and isolation from ordinary people gives him less knowledge about the conditions black people face nowadays than I, or perhaps most people on this board, certainly less than Maxine Waters or John Conyers, who work with such people within their constituencies on a daily basis. It does seem to me that the kind of "compassion" for poor minorities we see in this thread consists of expecting them to overcome obstacles that are insurmountable for nearly anyone on their own. Perhaps, like the "outrageous" Harry Belafonte, they have the best of intentions, too.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 08:46:23 AM »

Bill Cosby at least understands that there is something very wrong with the heart of Black America.  It's really sad when the vast majority of kids are born out of wedlock and grow up without a father.  He made some comments last year that the rap/hip-hop culture is helping destroy blacks because it gives them a poor stereotype to whites and others, and it glorifies the lives of pimps and thugs, which are terrible examples to children.  He caught some crap for saying things like that, but he IS right in recognizing that many black families do have some SERIOUS problems.
migrendel
Italy

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2005, 08:51:25 AM »

There are concomitant problems of that lifestyle, but I daresay the traditional nuclear has its own share of problems. These aren't often discussed, but many of these families, intent on erecting their personal Potemkin Village of bliss, live in a quiet desperation of unrealized desires, unspoken truths, and materialistic alienation. For all the problems they face, I think the families Bill Cosby denounced have a natural way of communicating within themselves, something that doesn't often happen within more conventional families.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 09:05:34 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2005, 09:19:59 AM by Storebought »

There are concomitant problems of that lifestyle, but I daresay the traditional nuclear has its own share of problems. These aren't often discussed, but many of these families, intent on erecting their personal Potemkin Village of bliss, live in a quiet desperation of unrealized desires, unspoken truths, and materialistic alienation. For all the problems they face, I think the families Bill Cosby denounced have a natural way of communicating within themselves, something that doesn't often happen within more conventional families.

Some people will gladly lead "lives of quiet desperation" if it keeps their kids from getting shot in the head by the neighborhood banger
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 09:13:55 AM »

i hope im not being a 'guilty white leftoid', but i strongly beleive the voting rights avct of 65 should be renewed.

if anything, it should be made stronger.

i agree that most of the talk from that atanta demonstration was nonsense.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 10:27:34 AM »

Does migrendel have a "sociology" degree by any chance? Roll Eyes
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2005, 11:33:28 AM »

Just another reason to replace Nancy Pelosi as House Minority Leader.

Ditto. She's worse than useless

Dave
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2005, 06:22:00 PM »

i hope im not being a 'guilty white leftoid', but i strongly beleive the voting rights avct of 65 should be renewed.

if anything, it should be made stronger.

i agree that most of the talk from that atanta demonstration was nonsense.

It's going to be renewed, and everybody knows it.  I don't really think it's needed at this point, but it doesn't  hurt to have it either.

I don't see why you think it needs to be strengthened.  Unless people are being kept from the polls illegally, which they are not, regardless of what left-wing wackos say, I'd say the law has done its job.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2005, 06:22:55 PM »

Some people will gladly lead "lives of quiet desperation" if it keeps their kids from getting shot in the head by the neighborhood banger

That's right.  I love people who grew up in comfortable upper middle class suburbs and idealize ghetto life.  Anybody who does that ought to try living there.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2005, 06:24:04 PM »

That's right.  I love people who grew up in comfortable upper middle class suburbs and idealize ghetto life.  Anybody who does that ought to try living there.

Those are pretty much the same people who preach a doctirine of "money doesn't buy happiness" - it fundamentally cannot, but not having it certainly is a huge obstruction to happiness.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2005, 06:48:57 PM »

Only some portions of the act are up for renewal. Section 5 is unconstitutional, and should not be renewed.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2005, 06:56:23 PM »

Those are pretty much the same people who preach a doctirine of "money doesn't buy happiness" - it fundamentally cannot, but not having it certainly is a huge obstruction to happiness.

Exactly right.  And did you ever notice that most people who belittle the value of money almost always have a lot of it?  And that they usually didn't earn it themselves?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies