Which "red" state gubernatorial races do Democrats have a chance of flipping?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:53:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which "red" state gubernatorial races do Democrats have a chance of flipping?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Alabama

Arizona

Arkansas

Florida

Georgia

Idaho

Iowa

Kansas

Michigan

Nebraska

Ohio

Oklahoma

South Carolina

South Dakota

Tennessee

Texas

Wisconsin

Wyoming

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which "red" state gubernatorial races do Democrats have a chance of flipping?  (Read 1561 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2017, 04:37:09 PM »

The only ones that I'd say are completely out of reach are AL, AR, ID, SD, TN, TX, and WY.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »

WI, GA, AZ, MI, and KS.

Can't trust FL Dems not to blow it. Wisconsin and Georgia are the steepest, but not entirely out of play.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 06:14:50 PM »

Michigan
Florida
Kansas
Arizona
Georgia
Wisconsin
Iowa
Ohio
Alabama
Nebraska
Texas
Oklahoma
South Carolina
Tennessee
South Dakota

Arkansas/Idaho/Wyoming
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 11:11:15 PM »

FL, AZ, GA, WI, OH, IA, MI, and KS.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 04:36:16 PM »

From most to least likely:

Michigan
Florida
Iowa (Branstad fatigue?)
Ohio
Kansas (Brownback fatigue!)
Wisconsin (Walker Fatigue?)
Georgia
Arizona
Oklahoma (Fallin fatigue)
Tennessee
South Carolina
Alabama (if Roy Moore is the R nominee, while Cobb is the D, R victory isn't guaranteed)
Idaho
South Dakota
Wyoming
Texas
Arkansas
Nebraska
JMT

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 06:08:52 PM »

Dems could conceivably flip Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas (only because Brownback is so unpopular), Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin. The rest of the options in the poll would be a waste of resources for Democrats.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »

Dems could conceivably flip Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas (only because Brownback is so unpopular), Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin. The rest of the options in the poll would be a waste of resources for Democrats.

Gubernatorial flips often come in unlikely places
John Cox for CA governor?HuhHuh
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »

No, but it wouldn't surprise me if California elected a Republican Governor at spme point in the next two decades if the legislature runs too wild
That would be quite interesting to see.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 08:30:59 PM »

No, but it wouldn't surprise me if California elected a Republican Governor at spme point in the next two decades if the legislature runs too wild

If CA Gov flips R any time in the next 30 years I'll be shocked.  I view CA as gone for Rs for at least the next 3 decades.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 11:58:37 PM »

If CA Gov flips R any time in the next 30 years I'll be shocked.  I view CA as gone for Rs for at least the next 3 decades.

I think it's inevitable that eventually California will end up in an R V R runoff because of its electoral system backfiring.
Rjjr77
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 10:04:31 AM »

I dont think Ohio is flippable, not with the democrats current field. Unless a big upset happens in the primary (Taylor or more laughably renacci)
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »

I think you underestimate the tolerance that wealthy "liberals" have for moderate republicans.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 01:49:21 PM »

I think it's inevitable that eventually California will end up in an R V R runoff because of its electoral system backfiring.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »

I dont think Ohio is flippable, not with the democrats current field. Unless a big upset happens in the primary (Taylor or more laughably renacci)

I think Ohio (on the STATE level) is a uniquely Republican advantage in that the GOP has swayed a lot of formerly Democratic-leaning independents while still keeping its traditional coalition in tact (Trump dominated Whites with a degree, the upper income brackets and the suburban vote in OH).
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 04:19:17 AM »

Technically, I suppose the Democrats have a chance in Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin. But I think bar an absolute Democratic landslide in the midterms, out of these states I suspect the only ones where flipping the state would be all that likely would be Florida, Iowa, Kansas (due to Brownback's unpopularity) and Michigan. I'd be fairly surprised if any of the others flipped from R to D in 2018.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »

Honestly, I think Florida and Michigan are the only two that Democrats have realistic chances of winning. 

Even at that, I'd give the GOP a slight edge in FL and the Dems a very slight edge in MI.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 06:52:08 PM »

Arizona
 Florida
 Georgia
 Iowa
 Kansas
 Michigan
 Ohio
 Oklahoma
 Wisconsin

Note: chance, not guarantee.  I'd classify Arizona, Georgia, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oklahoma in the lean GOP bucket. I'd classify Florida, Ohio, Michigan as tossups. I'd classify the rest as lean D. Florida is most interesting because they haven't elected a Democrat in 20 years but have come very close to in the last two cycles. Michigan usually rotates governors and the Flint crisis may flip it.

Kansas is the most obvious gimme surprisingly, given Brownback's ratings. Illinois is a red state gubernatorially that has a lean D feel to it.

I think the Democrats are far more on favorable ground in the gubernatorial seats than Senate seats.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 06:32:53 PM »

Michigan, Florida, and Arizona are very plausible, maybe likely. Kansas, Ohio, Iowa, and Georgia seem like long-shots but are far from impossible.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 06:45:08 PM »

I have a good feeling for AZ.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 11:28:20 AM »

The last time these seats were up, Republicans picked up three blue states (Maryland, Massachusetts, and Illinois) during an Obama mid-term. I think people are underestimating how bad this mid-term could get for Republicans, even in reddish states like Ohio and Iowa.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies