Is this a silly reason to vote against someone?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:34:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is this a silly reason to vote against someone?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is this a silly reason to vote against someone?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Is this a silly reason to vote against someone?  (Read 653 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:49:22 PM »

There's a city councilwoman whose district I would live in if I lived a mile or so north. She's been in office for 20 years, and is running again, yet is most notable to my crew because of her proposal in 2009 that would've banned 18+ shows in Minneapolis:

http://www.citypages.com/news/proposal-to-ban-18-shows-could-kill-minneapoliss-music-scene-6722618
http://www.thefader.com/2009/07/27/minneapolis-weighs-proposal-to-ban-18-shows

As you can see, venues were very concerned about this, it could have effects even on those not under 21 (as I obviously wasn't even at the time), some could close due to lost revenue, and there were concerns it might discourage from bands from booking here. As it is it did not pass, it did not even go for a vote, there was a massive outry and the City Council quietly booked it. 18+ shows continue in Minneapolis to this day.

However this still has angered a lot of local people and some people on a local forum are talking about getting rid of her. Mind you this happened eight years ago, she was re-elected in November that year and again in 2013 so this is two terms ago. So I guess the question that needs to be asked is, is it silly and petty to vote against someone simply because of one bad idea they had so long ago, or is it fair to consider this an unpardonable sin and always vote against her?

Whatever the case, if I lived in her district, I would vote for Janne Flisrand
Rjjr77
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:01:42 PM »

There's a city councilwoman whose district I would live in if I lived a mile or so north. She's been in office for 20 years, and is running again, yet is most notable to my crew because of her proposal in 2009 that would've banned 18+ shows in Minneapolis:

http://www.citypages.com/news/proposal-to-ban-18-shows-could-kill-minneapoliss-music-scene-6722618
http://www.thefader.com/2009/07/27/minneapolis-weighs-proposal-to-ban-18-shows

As you can see, venues were very concerned about this, it could have effects even on those not under 21 (as I obviously wasn't even at the time), some could close due to lost revenue, and there were concerns it might discourage from bands from booking here. As it is it did not pass, it did not even go for a vote, there was a massive outry and the City Council quietly booked it. 18+ shows continue in Minneapolis to this day.

However this still has angered a lot of local people and some people on a local forum are talking about getting rid of her. Mind you this happened eight years ago, she was re-elected in November that year and again in 2013 so this is two terms ago. So I guess the question that needs to be asked is, is it silly and petty to vote against someone simply because of one bad idea they had so long ago, or is it fair to consider this an unpardonable sin and always vote against her?

Whatever the case, if I lived in her district, I would vote for Janne Flisrand

its a wedge issue for you it appears.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 11:49:22 PM »

Maybe not. Except it's from 2009 and she's apparently not pushing such a bill now?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 06:50:08 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2017, 09:10:34 AM by Torie »

It depends on what the alternatives are, and her performance on other issues. Does she work hard? Is she creative in finding solutions to problems? Does she have a good temperament with which to win friends and influence people? Does she know how to compromise to get things done, in a way that achieves substantial consensus to the extent possible rather than acrimony?  Politics on the national level, and in some states, is seemingly at near total variance with that metric now. But in local government, it is still possible to do that, and it is that way in some places. As I see it, getting involved in local government, as a candidate or otherwise, is so much more rewarding, and one can actual make a real, and positive difference. What can be better than that?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:21:54 AM »

It depends on what the alternatives are, and her performance on other issues. Does she work hard? Is she creative in finding solutions to problems? Does she have a good temperament with which to win friends and influence people? Does she know how to compromise to get things down, in a way that achieves substantial consensus to the extent possible rather than acrimony?  Politics on the national level, and in some states, is seemingly at near total variance with that metric now. But in local government, it is still possible to do that, and is that way in some places. As I see it, getting involved in local government, as a candidate or otherwise, is so much more rewarding, and one can actual make a real, and positive difference. What can be better than that?
It does not matter. Sne supported this 8 years ago and this I will never support her. Ever.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:35:49 AM »

Is she all liberal, all the time?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »

I had a similar thought about sopa (remember that?). Al Franken and Sherrod Brown were sponsors of its senate counterpart, and I often wonder if that might flare up if they move on to higher office.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »

It's quite insignificant and from 8 years ago, so no.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »

It's quite insignificant and from 8 years ago, so no.

It's not insignificant.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »

... yes it is. Trying to make it harder for people from 18-20 to see certain concerts isn't that big of a deal. Especially when it happened 8 years ago.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 02:09:37 PM »

It would've possibly ruined some local venues.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »

I didn't expect to say this because I thought it would be something truly trivial, but no: it's obviously not silly if it matters to you, and I can actually imagine why this would matter to people.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 10:47:31 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2017, 10:49:36 PM by Compassion Fills the Void »

FWIW she was easily re-elected in 2009, although this didn't inspire much outrage after it quietly died and her only opposition was two independents. Simply being the only candidate with "Democratic-Farmer-Labor" under your name is all that's needed to win in Minneapolis. She won with over 2/3. In 2013 she actually ran unopposed.

This year though she's facing challengers both from the left (that Democrat whose site I linked to) and the right (a hapless Republican), but since Minneapolis uses IRV I can vote for more than one person, and honestly if I lived in that district I'd probably preference the Republican over her.

Of course not, since she supported something unliberal 8 years ago. And even ignoring that she's actually a lot more similar to Andrew Cuomo than any progressive Democrat.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 11:55:40 PM »

It depends on what the alternatives are, and her performance on other issues. Does she work hard? Is she creative in finding solutions to problems? Does she have a good temperament with which to win friends and influence people? Does she know how to compromise to get things down, in a way that achieves substantial consensus to the extent possible rather than acrimony?  Politics on the national level, and in some states, is seemingly at near total variance with that metric now. But in local government, it is still possible to do that, and is that way in some places. As I see it, getting involved in local government, as a candidate or otherwise, is so much more rewarding, and one can actual make a real, and positive difference. What can be better than that?
It does not matter. Sne supported this 8 years ago and this I will never support her. Ever.

Okay. Now that is a really really stupid reason to not vote for someone. Even an edgy hipster like you should get a clue about that
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 06:44:29 AM »

Okay. Now that is a really really stupid reason to not vote for someone. Even an edgy hipster like you should get a clue about that

Its not stupid. This could've severely damaged Minneapolis' music scene and might've resulted in some venues closing. That would've both been a severe blow to one of the most notable aspects of Minneapolis' culture in addition to costing many people their jobs, and for no benefit. Drunk people would still cause just as many issues as before. It was a horrible, horrible, potentially damaging idea.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 12:45:44 PM »

I don't think it's silly at all.  Just because something isn't a "big" issue like healthcare or whatever, doesn't mean it can't be important to you.  If a politician does something that makes your life harder or worse, you are always within your right to vote against them, no matter how trivial some other person might think it is.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 11:18:16 AM »

I don't think it's silly at all.  Just because something isn't a "big" issue like healthcare or whatever, doesn't mean it can't be important to you.  If a politician does something that makes your life harder or worse, you are always within your right to vote against them, no matter how trivial some other person might think it is.

This is also a city council election. Big issues like healthcare don't come up here.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 05:30:23 PM »

Not silly at all, but it is silly to vote Republican rather than her, based on this issue alone, especially because that bill is not at risk for passing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 08:19:46 PM »

Not silly at all, but it is silly to vote Republican rather than her, based on this issue alone, especially because that bill is not at risk for passing.

This isn't exactly an election where you have to worry about Republicans...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis_City_Council_election,_2013
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minneapolis_City_Council_election,_2009
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies