Chris Murphy - Russia Distraction hurting Dems, focus should be on the economy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:40:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Chris Murphy - Russia Distraction hurting Dems, focus should be on the economy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chris Murphy - Russia Distraction hurting Dems, focus should be on the economy  (Read 761 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2017, 08:49:00 PM »

Dem Sen. Chris Murphy: Russia Issue Is Becoming A "Distraction" That Is Hurting Democrats

The Democrats have to be hyper-focused on an economic message that tells people that the Republican Party is all about economic growth for millionaires and billionaires. And the Democratic Party is about economic growth for everybody. And I think Robert Costa is right. The fact that we had spent so much time talking about Russia has you know, has been a distraction from what should be the clear contrast between Democrats and the Trump agenda which is on economics.

You know, when I'm back in Connecticut, I often get on a commuter bus and ride it for just an hour to talk to folks that, you know, frankly don't normally call my office or write my office. And I'll just say they are never talking about issues like Russia. They are not talking frankly about what's on cable news at night. They are talking about the same things -- wages, they're talking about education, they're talking about public safety. And so I think Democrats have to be hyper-focused on an economic contrast.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/06/21/dem_sen_chris_murphy_russia_issue_is_a_distraction_that_is_hurting_democrats.html
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 09:13:59 PM »

It's good that they have started lining up the excuses for the next series of election losses this early.  It will give them to time to ferret out the good ones.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:20:23 PM »

Ok.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 01:01:53 AM »

The interference of a an enemy power in an American election is not a distraction, i's the chief national security concern of the United States.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 01:23:08 AM »

I'm glad some Democratic official has been willing to say it. Yes, we absolutely should be conductive an intensive investigation to get to the bottom of any potential collusion or obstruction of justice. However, Democrats have been trying to make that the focus of their message. We see how well focusing on Trump's insanity, rather than bread and butter issues helped the Democrats to sweep to victory in 2016... oh wait. So, yeah, keeping beating a dead horse while you squander more election opportunities if you want, but Sen. Murphy is right.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 01:32:20 AM »

Good lord, Dems are such easy marks.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 03:07:35 AM »

Well it's about damn time someone said something about this.

The interference of a an enemy power in an American election is not a distraction, i's the chief national security concern of the United States.

The US and Russia are not at war. Maybe you'd like them to be, but regardless, Russia is not an "enemy power" despite your jingoism.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 05:32:01 AM »

That's probably why they're better off focusing on Russia.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 08:33:55 AM »

It's good that they have started lining up the excuses for the next series of election losses this early.  It will give them to time to ferret out the good ones.

It's so funny, but also so true.

I don't think the Dems should abandon the very real issue of Russian interference in the election, nor should they cease supporting investigations into past and present unconstitutional and criminal actions by Trump and individuals in his campaign and administrattion. Honestly, I think they should be doing more to drive home the point that Trump is a bresident with no credibility, until the understanding that Trump is an insane, pathological liar and incompetent idiot who is unfit for the office he hold becomes accepted across the entire spectrum of American politics.

At the same time, that will never be accomplished solely by investigating his ties to Russian criminals and/or government. Nor will it be achieved by an endless series of over-hyped outrages of the week over Trump's personal failures. They need to recognize that when it comes to future political wins, his political and executive failings are far more important than his personal failings, no matter how deplorable a human being he may be. To that end, yes, there does need to be an energetic, ongoing, targeted effort on the economy.

If and when Trump is going down hard, it's not going to be dbecause he's a jackass who cancels a White House dinner during Ramadan. He's going to be defeated because he's a stupid tool who is bad for America.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 09:45:45 AM »

I think we all know the average american cares more about pee pee tapes than boring old jobs.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 09:52:52 AM »

Dem Sen. Chris Murphy: Russia Issue Is Becoming A "Distraction" That Is Hurting Democrats

The Democrats have to be hyper-focused on an economic message that tells people that the Republican Party is all about economic growth for millionaires and billionaires. And the Democratic Party is about economic growth for everybody. And I think Robert Costa is right. The fact that we had spent so much time talking about Russia has you know, has been a distraction from what should be the clear contrast between Democrats and the Trump agenda which is on economics.

You know, when I'm back in Connecticut, I often get on a commuter bus and ride it for just an hour to talk to folks that, you know, frankly don't normally call my office or write my office. And I'll just say they are never talking about issues like Russia. They are not talking frankly about what's on cable news at night. They are talking about the same things -- wages, they're talking about education, they're talking about public safety. And so I think Democrats have to be hyper-focused on an economic contrast.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/06/21/dem_sen_chris_murphy_russia_issue_is_a_distraction_that_is_hurting_democrats.html

As with most progressives he sees the symptoms and we agree there are problems but will like modern doctors will address them on the surface rather than find the root causes of the issue.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 10:11:21 AM »

If we don't have free and fair elections, then we will be at the complete mercy of tycoons, executives, landlords, and political bosses. Pursuit of happiness will be reduced to deciding what we must sell off for survival. Liberty will be something purely in the realm of nostalgia or an abstraction that might be a  transitory experience only on a trip using a passport. Life will be conditional, dependent on how useful and obedient one is to elites.

If the stories of interference by Russian secret-police and intelligence agencies are true, then those are more important than the economy, partisan politics, or how one's sports team is doing.  The nastiest slum in Calcutta is better than a torture chamber in San Francisco.

TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 10:13:04 AM »

The thing I hate is how much Dems say this but then fail to act.  We've heard this for months on end from them, and it's getting quite redundant.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 10:25:22 AM »

this topic always shows in a perfect way who cares about democratic institutions and who only about votes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies