Liberals...do you realize Trump is "winning"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:51:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Liberals...do you realize Trump is "winning"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Liberals...do you realize Trump is "winning"?  (Read 3335 times)
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »

Call me back in 8 years and we'll see if he's "won." I doubt very much in eight years you'll think he's a winner. Maybe in your deluded stupidity. But take a good look at the last 4 popular vote losers and see how their presidencies went. Hint: All of them wound up poorly rated by history. Further hint - there's a big reason for that.

He's also under FBI investigation, he can't pass a healthcare law in his first six months (well, maybe he will "barely" adjust) ObamaCare,and there's so many other things I could go on. His legacy is not going to be what you think it will be.

In other words, you don't grasp the working political definition of "victory." Why do you have to basically epitomize the Trumpian working class whites who don't really get politics but insist on regaling us with this drek?

I didn't realize you were a "liberal" TD Tongue

Deluded never-Trumper actually. In some respects, these kind are worse than far-left liberals.

You've done nothing to refute TD's point except insult him, which implies that you have nothing substantive to add to this conversation (not that you've ever added anything to any discussion on this site besides your bizarre hero-worship of Trump)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 02:44:10 PM »

I guess it's the new definition of "winning."

Soon when we look up the definition in the dictionary, it will simply say: Donald Trump.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 02:49:40 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2017, 02:53:28 PM by TD »

Oh, to add credence to my acerbic snark, just look at the Bush and Reagan presidencies and their approval ratings. And then take a long look at Trump's Presidency to date and I will continue laughing and pointing fingers at the clown show and the attendant morons.

Bush and Reagan were above water at this point in time. They also passed major initiatives through Congress at this point in time (with narrower majorities in Bush's case; Reagan's Southern Democratic - GOP coalition was fairly large).

The unity in the GOP in 1981 and 2001 is vastly different. The Presidents were riding public waves of support for their agenda (Bush to a lesser degree but still). Now look at Trumpy.

Yes #winning. Totally.

Do you people even think about sustaining the Trump legacy - hahahahahaha. Of course you people don't even think about that and how a president's first two years matter to his legacy. Or how important it is to build public support for that agenda. Or the popular vote. Or - well, actually, much of anything of political relevance, maybe.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 02:52:28 PM »

Maybe if instead of being so obsessed with "winning," Trump actually acted like a leader, I might have a few shreds of respect for him.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 02:55:07 PM »

Whether it's Gorsuch and likely more SC appointments in the future, loading the Federal courts, leaving TPP and Paris, the travel ban, the nothing-burger of "Russia-gate"....do you all realize he's winning?

As someone who politically opposed Obama, once I admitted to myself Obama had in essence "won", it was easier to move on and focus on the future.

I can't "realize" something that isn't happening. That's logically impossible.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2017, 03:01:07 PM »

Whether it's Gorsuch and likely more SC appointments in the future, loading the Federal courts, leaving TPP and Paris...

There is absolutely nothing the Democrats nor the public can possibly do to prevent this from happening.   It's fully in control of the Republicans in the Senate and Trump.   

What the heck did you expect to happen?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »

40% approval rating, under FBI investigation, pushing unpopular legislation and on pace to lead his party to a mid-term wipeout.

If this is winning, I would hate to see what losing looks like.

Did you take a look at the 2010 election?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »

40% approval rating, under FBI investigation, pushing unpopular legislation and on pace to lead his party to a mid-term wipeout.

Oh, I remember.

Which is why it is hilarious how Trump lackeys are making the same mistake we did in 2010.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »

Whether it's Gorsuch and likely more SC appointments in the future, loading the Federal courts, leaving TPP and Paris, the travel ban, the nothing-burger of "Russia-gate"....do you all realize he's winning?

As someone who politically opposed Obama, once I admitted to myself Obama had in essence "won", it was easier to move on and focus on the future.

Leaving TPP was at least as big of a defeat for conservatism as the passage of Obamacare in the first place, and probably more of one since it was completely self-inflicted.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2017, 04:23:54 PM »

Whether or not Trump is "winning" depends on what you mean.

If you mean lining his pockets (with amounts that should be irrelevant pocket change to a real multi-billionaire), constantly angering ther Left and geitting his ego even more inflated, while not being impeached (yet) then sure, he's "winning".

If you mean how's he doing as a President, there is no way being on a trajectory that can be described as an average of Hoover, Carter, and Buchanan is winning.

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2017, 04:24:38 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2017, 04:27:05 PM by TD »

I've been meaning to find an opening. But yes, I enjoyed your recent RRH prediction, with all the attendant qualifications, that you thought the House would go Democratic in 2018. That was enjoyable to read.

Yes, indeed, #winning, when a President in his first term loses the House that was thought to be ironclad, eh?

Do keep up the good work, on advocating for Trump, nonstop, sweet summer child. When the burning it all down comes, I do want you to keep in mind that your support of the President, ideology be damned, because you hated the left more than you cared about principles led to that point.

I'll be doing this while that happens:

P.S. Krazen. Do read my signature. That St. Thomas More quote might be handy while you contemplate the wreckage.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2017, 04:31:28 PM »

Let's just all chill for a minute.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2017, 05:31:47 PM »

I've been meaning to find an opening. But yes, I enjoyed your recent RRH prediction, with all the attendant qualifications, that you thought the House would go Democratic in 2018. That was enjoyable to read.

Yes, indeed, #winning, when a President in his first term loses the House that was thought to be ironclad, eh?

Do keep up the good work, on advocating for Trump, nonstop, sweet summer child. When the burning it all down comes, I do want you to keep in mind that your support of the President, ideology be damned, because you hated the left more than you cared about principles led to that point.

I'll be doing this while that happens:

P.S. Krazen. Do read my signature. That St. Thomas More quote might be handy while you contemplate the wreckage.

For the record, the libs said that the Dem House Majority was ironclad back in 2009. So I think you are confusing elections, confusing Presidents, and confusing who exactly is losing.

Link

“This is going to be a tough and competitive election,” said Representative Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. “But anyone talking about a Republican takeover of the House is in la-la land.”

This same Van Hollen fellow got so bored of losing that he jumped ship to the Senate!

Weren't you planning on going to the beach after Ossoff won, after you somehow concluded that my posts on this forum meant Handel would lose? How is that working out for you? It wasn't that long ago, pal.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2017, 05:35:33 PM »

Call me back in 8 years and we'll see if he's "won." I doubt very much in eight years you'll think he's a winner. Maybe in your deluded stupidity. But take a good look at the last 4 popular vote losers and see how their presidencies went. Hint: All of them wound up poorly rated by history. Further hint - there's a big reason for that.

He's also under FBI investigation, he can't pass a healthcare law in his first six months (well, maybe he will "barely" adjust) ObamaCare,and there's so many other things I could go on. His legacy is not going to be what you think it will be.

In other words, you don't grasp the working political definition of "victory." Why do you have to basically epitomize the Trumpian working class whites who don't really get politics but insist on regaling us with this drek?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2017, 05:44:54 PM »

Oh, I remember.

Which is why it is hilarious how Trump lackeys are making the same mistake we did in 2010.

No no, dude. This is where you libs are getting it wrong. Trust me. The Trump train is much stronger than people think.

On election night on MSNBC, Rachel Maddow didn't believe that America was electing the "outsider" if they were simulatanious casting votes for "insiders" like Toomey and Burr and Portman.

I understood exactly what they were doing...they were voting for whoever didn't have a "D" next to their name. It really was that simple.

You should have seen the salivating going on with Jon Ossoff which turned into...nothing.

You guys just seem off your game. OMG TRUMP'S APPROVAL IS THE SAME AS IT WAS....the day he won over 300 electoral votes. You guys look like morons. You should cool it a bit.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 05:49:19 PM »

Twice the pride, double the fall
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2017, 05:51:44 PM »

winning does nit entitle him to destroy the foundation of the us democracy but thank you anyway for your kind words of empathy.

So you agree he's winning, you just hate what you perceive is the cost of winning or whatever?

sure.

he got a total majority on....all possible levels and he adapts to whatever his party wants him to celebrate at this moment, while in turn his voters adapt to whatever position trumps swears allegiance to right now, as long as he is "grumpy" and disses the fake news media.

seems like a good time for mister trump, imho.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2017, 06:26:01 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

Trump is trailing every single D candidate they're polling for 2020. So no, I would not say he is "winning" at the moment.

With a minimum of savvy Trump could have put away Twitter and imploded the Democratic coalition with a bipartisan push on infrastructure and healthcare, sailing to re-election. Instead he's now permanently toxic with half the electorate and the GOP is fighting to keep the house in 2018. Whatever happens, his Presidency has been already been a massive missed opportunity for the Republican party to have reshaped American politics.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2017, 06:14:21 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2017, 07:06:17 PM by TD »

For the record, the libs said that the Dem House Majority was ironclad back in 2009. So I think you are confusing elections, confusing Presidents, and confusing who exactly is losing.

Nope, let's not confuse the issue.

You're on record saying that you think the Democrats will be the House majority in 2019. Aside from all your caveats, that's your RRH prediction. Which is enormously telling and that's directly related to your belief the Trump Administration isn't as successful as you know it should be. The House shouldn't, straight up, be up in the air in 2018.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, of course, I was wrong there (and no, I was trolling you over assuming Handel would lose based on your posts but your RRH prediction is quite different on that level since you're quite sincere in saying it), but really, the evidence here backs me up in spades. (One special election doesn't of course mean I'm entirely wrong. And I should point out I nailed the GA round 1 and MT special. I did point out that same night, SC 05 went Republican by only 3 points too, something you're constantly overlooking).

So, let's review more data points: the President is sitting at the high 30s, you admit the House is going Democratic in 18 months (I don't agree but I do think that it will go Democratic in the next 4-5 years because of Republican mistakes, so it works out to the same point), and the governing coalition of the Republican Party is in extreme straits with considerable dissent (bigger than 1981 and 2001). The first six months of this Administration has been a train wreck and no amount of you trying to talk yourself into believing otherwise is going to alter that reality, bud. There is no significant achievement, not true for Reagan or W Bush or Clinton or Obama.

You like to pretend that everything is dandy but it's not really. I'm fairly confident that in 4-8 years, when you review this data, we're going to be looking at a strong liberal government because of our own mistakes.  Number one - not tossing Trump when we had the chance and standing by him no matter what.

The bottom line = Trump will be a failed President, and the GOP will be on the hook for that. You can be as partisan as you want, but this is not the Administration you envisioned in December.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2017, 06:52:59 AM »

All you've managed to do is lower the bar. Things like the Supreme Court and "loading the federal courts" is a given for any president (except maybe a lame duck with an opposition Senate... cough cough). TPP was already dead before Trump was sworn in, and again the Paris Accord was a given if a Republican won.

This. The departure of the Paris Agreement is also far from certain. It would only happen if Trump gets reelected. If a Democrat beats him in 2020, the new president could and would rescind this executive action with the stroke of a pen in early 2021.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2017, 07:01:32 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2017, 07:03:50 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

All you've managed to do is lower the bar. Things like the Supreme Court and "loading the federal courts" is a given for any president (except maybe a lame duck with an opposition Senate... cough cough). TPP was already dead before Trump was sworn in, and again the Paris Accord was a given if a Republican won.

TPP wasn't dead at all. Fast track had been signed into law. Passing it before the election would have hurt Hillary and then Trump won.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2017, 07:30:00 AM »

At this point, Obama support was beginning to erode as the Tea Party groups started deriding him. The perception by a significant majority that the President is untrustworthy is not good for 'winning.'

I do not trust the Trump Administration or the Republican Party with my civil liberties and political rights. I do not trust liars. I can easily imagine Donald Trump losing some of the Clinton-to-Dubya  voters, let alone most Obama-to-Trump voters.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2017, 08:29:24 AM »

At this point, Obama support was beginning to erode as the Tea Party groups started deriding him. The perception by a significant majority that the President is untrustworthy is not good for 'winning.'

I do not trust the Trump Administration or the Republican Party with my civil liberties and political rights. I do not trust liars. I can easily imagine Donald Trump losing some of the Clinton-to-Dubya  voters, let alone most Obama-to-Trump voters.
If it weren't for conservatives on the court, Heller v. US would have been decided in favor of "f*** the 2nd amendment."
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 09:54:34 AM »

There is no "winning" in politics, outside of actual elections. So, yes, Trump won the election. Now, however, it's about appearance, production (passing legislation, making policy that sticks around, etc), approval, and maintaining political power.

While I will argue that Trump is making headway on production, he's not doing so great on the other metrics. Which, honestly, is to be expected from a political outsider. Most of those things take practice. He is good at appearance for what he used to be -- a reality TV show star and con-man. But politics, unlike reality TV, does not run on drama. There is drama, which the media enjoys, but it's not conducive to actually running the country. He's also way out of his depth in regards to trying to con people. It's working on some still, but with each speech he reveals a little more how absolutely clueless he is, and more and more people become aware of just how thin the ice he's skating on is.

And in regards to political power? It's laughable just how far behind he is. Anyone with any real political power would be making sweeping changes with the whole of the party behind them. He has the perfect set-up for that. But it's not going to happen because he has none.

So by the metrics of normal politics, he's not doing well, and that's about the closest we can judge whether someone is "winning" in politics.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies