3 Overrated Dems (re: any potential on a future Pres ticket)...and 3 Questions..
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:34:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  3 Overrated Dems (re: any potential on a future Pres ticket)...and 3 Questions..
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 3 Overrated Dems (re: any potential on a future Pres ticket)...and 3 Questions..  (Read 3829 times)
DevinM626
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 04:02:38 PM »

Overrated: Biden, Harris, and Klobuchar

Underrated: Sherrod Brown, Gillibrand, and Merkley
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 08:37:26 PM »

I’m mind blown at all the people saying Biden.

Are we watching the same guy?

As for who is really overrated ... Warren.

She stands up for the little guy and what is right but she would get destroyed in a GE.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 11:06:53 PM »

She stands up for the little guy and what is right but she would get destroyed in a GE.

That's exactly why she will win. She is a populist and I never understood why Atlas thinks she is elitist or condescending.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 11:21:58 PM »

Overrated: Biden, Harris, and Klobuchar

Underrated: Sherrod Brown, Gillibrand, and Merkley

If we're talking about Atlas, switch Brown and Merkley with Harris and Klobuchar.
MechaBambi
Rookie
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 02:35:56 AM »

Overrated:

1. Gillibrand Gillibrand Gillibrand. I like the positions she's been taking recently but she has no natural constituency other than young, professional, mostly white women and even then it's not like they'll be voting in a bloc for her. Not that good of a speaker. Every other question she gets will be about Franken or Bill Clinton because people are dumb. She'll be unfairly tarred as a Hillary clone while getting no love from the #StillWithHer crowd because of her supposed betrayal. And her Blue Dog past is easily referenced and can't be dismissed as an "artful smear." I'm glad she is running, though, if only so Bernie can say he isn't the only one on the debate stage who represented a rural district and later "evolved" on guns.
2. Klobuchar. Too moderate, but more importantly, too mild. Of the four top female candidates, she's the least associated with the Resistance, the least interested in attacking Trump, and seemingly the least interested in becoming President. Similar to Kasich, she's more identified by what she isn't than what she is.
3. Bullock. Immediately irrelevant if Hickenlooper runs, and probably even if he doesn't.

Underrated:

1. Booker. Been moving steadily left since 2016, more popular with black voters than Harris (though that could change once the ads start running), and don't underestimate the power of name recognition.
2. Garcetti. Every article about cities being the "laboratories of resistance" or whatever seems designed to justify his candidacy. Can run against a "dysfunctional Congress" without sounding like either a hypocrite or Trump.
3. Gutiérrez. Virtually ever Spanish-speaking Democrat in the country knows who he is. He won't win, but he will succeed in pushing the immigration debate to the left.
ViaActiva

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 02:38:40 AM »

Overrated: Jason Kander, Sherrod Brown, Joe Kennedy

Warren is an interesting one, I think she has big flaws as a politician but nonetheless if Bernie doesn't run she'll be the automatic frontrunner for the nomination (perhaps tied with Biden if he runs).
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 10:47:31 AM »

Watch your mouth
ViaActiva

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 01:20:29 PM »

I'm not drooling!
SCNCmod

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2018, 03:58:32 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2018, 05:00:41 AM by SCNCmod »

Overrated: Jason Kander, Sherrod Brown, Joe Kennedy

Warren is an interesting one, I think she has big flaws as a politician but nonetheless if Bernie doesn't run she'll be the automatic frontrunner for the nomination (perhaps tied with Biden if he runs).

Sherrod Brown is far from over-rated imo. ... And I think 1 thing that makes him a potentially much stronger candidate than many think- is not even his progressive stances- but rather its his likability (the x-factor for winning Presidential elections).  

A bit of anecdotal evidence... my mom (who I don't understand politically of late) voted for Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Obama, and ... Trump? When Hillary was picking a running mate I remember several convo's I had with mom (who was a Trump supporter by this time), trying to figure out who would be the strongest pick...

The 2 names that she had a positive view on were: Sherrod Brown & Julian Castro. Her views are generally guided imo by who she finds more likable vs indepth policy views.  

A bit of a detour side story- that I will share here since the audience is anonymous, regarding  Facebook, Fake News, and the election: From what I could tell & know based on our conversations, Mom's opinions were somewhat shallowly formed by what she saw of the various politicians on Morning Joe (which she use to watch religiously... before the mental breakdown I call Trump- so now her political news of course only comes from FOX & fake articles on Facebook (she doesn't realize they are fake.. other than when she occasionally ask me about something she read on Facebook- that I then point out is a fake story & ask her if she has ever her of the "news outlet" putting out the story).  ... Take it from me- Fake news on Facebook definitely swayed...or at the very least had an impact...on many swing voters- Mom has voted for every winning President since she was able to vote & has pretty sharp political intuition in a general since (she argued with me that Obama will be our next President immediately after his Speech at Kerry's DNC Convention- inherently she was also assuming Bush would win...both of which I was skeptical of- even though I was voting for Kerry & then voted for Obama).   At the beginning of this past election- when she assumed it would be Jeb vs Hillary... was planning on probably voting for Hillary (though not crazy about either).  FF to the months leading up to the election- she seemed to weekly bring up an article on FB from a no-name news source... that was almost 99% completely inaccurate bashing Clinton. (I eventually gave up trying to point this out).  BTW- just to illustrated how taken many Baby Boomers can be with these type stories (and continue to be on a daily basis- She called me around Valentine's Day (2018) to warn me about not eating Cadburry (Sp?) Egg products.... Almost all I could do was laugh, before trying to educate her how easy it was to photo edit a fake new story (and she is a college educated retired- Kindergarten teacher... but obviously not all that familiar with many aspects of technology). To illustrated where she falls on the technologically integrated spectrum... she is on Talbots' website weekly or more- but still calls their 1-800 number to place orders.  Mom isn't someone who ever re-post or comments politically on Facebook... nor are the majority of her FB Friends... but the FB Bots certainly know how to target her with pinpoint accuracy.

But Back on topic: She did not like Kaine at all (although I think if she were just looking at Kaine's political positions on paper, he would be a pretty good match for her)....But he didn't come across as very likable to her... or many others (which although is a misjudgement imo- its a misjudgement I knew many people would make- and at the time I remember thinking was the first major (and potentially fatal) mistake by the Clinton campaign (I thought she should have chosen Castro, Booker, or maybe Sherrod Brown if she went with an older white male). BTW- she dislikes Warren as much as she now (after a couple of years of FOX) does Hillary ... and she's always thought Bernie was crazy and full of idea's that are completely untenable (even before the FOX & FB brainwashing began).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2018, 06:03:05 AM »

Biden,  Sanders and Warren.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2018, 06:17:53 AM »

Kirsten Gillibrand, Joe Biden, and Julian Castro (couldn't win at all).
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2018, 06:31:50 AM »

That's exactly why she will win. She is a populist and I never understood why Atlas thinks she is elitist or condescending.

She'll never bring Mary Elizabeth Lease to mind:

https://www.kshs.org/kansapedia/mary-elizabeth-lease/12128
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2018, 07:55:08 PM »

Overrated:

1. Booker
2. Gillibrand
3. Biden

Underrated:

1. Bullock
2. Merkley (so long as his Senate Seat being up in 2020 doesn't cause problems)
3. Warren (at least by Atlas)
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 08:06:42 PM »

Overrated: Harris, Gillibrand, Sanders
Underrated: Bullock, Gabbard, Warren
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2018, 10:19:30 PM »

Overrated: Cory Booker. He's a liberal version of Marco Rubio. Unlike Obama, he has zero crossover appeal and will be much more likely than 44 to ruin his primary standing with a dumb gaffe in a debate. Remember that when a candidate spends all his time in the primary criticizing the other party, he's trying to draw his own party's attention away from his own flaws.
Andrew Cuomo, if people think he has any shot at all. He'll get lumped in with the reasons the party thinks Hillary lost about as fast as he announces his candidacy.
Bernie Sanders. He's not really that good of a campaigner, and I doubt he will run again as he'll be 75+ years old.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies