Elizabeth Warren (D) "It’s time for Democrats to run on single-payer health care
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:58:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren (D) "It’s time for Democrats to run on single-payer health care
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren (D) "It’s time for Democrats to run on single-payer health care  (Read 4902 times)
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2018, 07:39:47 PM »

A public option keeps the private insurance scam intact. Like it'd be better than Obamacare but isn't the ideal option. Either true medicare for all or something that creates various non for profit healthcare options that are tightly regulated.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2018, 07:49:44 PM »

She is completely right. Democrats need to have a good message.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2018, 01:07:50 AM »

Yes, run on something you still don't have a way to pay for... At least a public option largely pays for itself and makes sense in the current scheme of things. M4A nobody really knows how big the tax increases would need to be to support it.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2018, 09:23:37 AM »

I dont want my taxes raised so some poor person, don't have to work for their healthcare.
BundouYMB

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2018, 09:29:49 AM »

I dont want my taxes raised so some poor person, don't have to work for their healthcare.

Almost every first world country has some version of single payer healthcare, and in every case the taxes going towards healthcare are far less than what Americans pay for healthcare. Keep in mind that in a single payer system in exchange for paying more in taxes you would not need to pay for healthcare directly, so it's a beneficial trade off. You would be saving money, likely a lot of money, in a switch to a single payer system -- as would everyone else, except for a handful of execs in the healthcare industry.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2018, 09:32:00 AM »

Almost every first world country has some version of single payer healthcare, and in every case the taxes going towards healthcare are far less than what Americans pay for healthcare. Keep in mind that in a single payer system in exchange for paying more in taxes you would not need to pay for healthcare directly, so it's a beneficial trade off. You would be saving money, likely a lot of money, in a switch to a single payer system -- as would everyone else, except for a handful of execs in the healthcare industry.
That's not true. Germany has a multi-player system...France does...
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »

If you’re being technical Germany and France don’t have single payer, but given the context of the sentence, I think he’s using that term more loosely as to mean every 1st world country doesn’t have a for profit price gouging middle man profiting of one’s illness anywhere to the degree it does here.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2018, 09:48:40 AM »

If you’re being technical Germany and France don’t have single payer, but given the context of the sentence, I think he’s using that term more loosely as to mean every 1st world country doesn’t have a for profit price gouging middle man profiting of one’s illness anywhere to the degree it does here.
The problem is that the term single-payer is being bast*r*ized and contorted. I favor improved Obamacare. I don't want a single-payer system at all. I don't think the NHS is a workable model in the United States - I'd rather we emulate Germany. I don't think it's right to ban private insurance either - just offer public insurance that will give the private insurance companies some real competition for their money.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2018, 01:49:50 PM »

Good. About time they actually stand for something and make the Republicans compromise for once. Now that Obama is gone and the ACA is actually popular because there's no one to smear it down, the ball is in their court.

The Wall isn't gonna happen, Federal Gay Marriage Bans didn't happen after 2004, and yet the GOP still pushed those, and look at the results.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2018, 01:50:45 PM »

The vast majority of countries that have single payer systems (and the UK which isn’t single payer; since the NHS isn’t an insurance company) don’t make private insurance illegal; it’s just that no one buys it since there is no real need for it in most cases.  I don’t get why people believe that it’s illegal; it’s a weird talking point that needs to go away.

In order to adopt the German system you would need to move away from for-profit insurance which would be an upheaval as big as moving towards a single payer system.  What’s what people ignore who argue for the German or Dutch systems of whatever; none have the mammoth for profit insurance giants that the US has; they are much smaller, not profits and generally no matter what company you are insured with you can go to whatever doctor you want rather than the American system which limits choice and often restricts people to a small number of providers.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2018, 02:14:12 PM »

The problem is that the term single-payer is being bast*r*ized and contorted. I favor improved Obamacare. I don't want a single-payer system at all. I don't think the NHS is a workable model in the United States - I'd rather we emulate Germany. I don't think it's right to ban private insurance either - just offer public insurance that will give the private insurance companies some real competition for their money.

Germany doesn't have competitive private insurance market & no country does. There is no workable private insurance model anywhere in the world in health insurance.

In Germany, 90% of the people are under a Single Payer system, the top 10% have Private Insurance (which is super heavily regulated). They are separately by income slabs which is unconstitutional in the case of America. There is no real noticeable benefit of having an Insurance Mandate or Multi payer system in general & all of them would be unconstitutional in America if they have to be universal (It can't be Universal & constitutional).
Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2018, 01:16:55 AM »

Have those of you who support single payer decided how you will,pay for it.  If so, please set it out.

I heard Senator Kaine say he would not support single payer.  What will you do with folks like him.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2018, 11:33:23 AM »

I'm a pre-med student right now and were single payer to pass my career would be over before it starts. Liberals have to realize that healthcare is somebody's labor and you are never entitled to somebody else's labor (slavery) doctors and nurses are overworked as it is and healthcare is 16% of the economy.
TIL that judges, policemen, and anyone else who works for the government is a slave.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2018, 12:10:32 PM »

Yeet

Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2018, 01:52:40 PM »

Oh yes, I totally want to pay for some strangers healthcare!
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2018, 02:23:34 PM »

Oh yes, I totally want to pay for some strangers healthcare!
This type of individualist thought is not only selfish but irrational.

You never know when you will need healthcare. A healthy person one day can be a sick person the next day. Also, what we would pay in taxes would be SIGNIFICANTLY lower than what we currently pay out of pocket.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »

I think all Dems will eventually come around to a multi payer system it makes better sense fiscally and politically.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2018, 08:28:56 PM »

I think all Dems will eventually come around to a multi payer system it makes better sense fiscally and politically.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2018, 08:50:22 PM »

Obamacare for all would be a very good idea. One dillema I see, however, is how to appropriately balanve punishing people who choose to increase their health risk--by smoking/being fat--with general compassion. Furthermore, any expansion of government supported healthcare must be accompanied by bringing down America's absurd healthcare costs

Regardless, I don't think this should be the primary objective of the next Democratic administration. The past two Days presidents squandered their majorities on healthcare. Obamacare is an acceptable system, and it's time to prioritize more pressing issues like tax reform, immigration reform, criminal justice reform, and infrastructure.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies