The Rise of the Radical Center
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:09:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The Rise of the Radical Center
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Rise of the Radical Center  (Read 901 times)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:09:10 AM »

"In the wake of Emmanuel Macron’s decisive victory over Marine Le Pen in the May 7 runoff election, a growing chorus of voices in the U.S. has called for “a Macron-like figure to restructure [American] politics.”

The 39-year-old former economy minister had never held elected office when he founded the République En Marche (REM) movement, which trounced France’s establishment parties, winning the presidency and seizing over 60 percent of legislative seats.

Now, author Robert Levine argues that “Republicans and Democrats seem incapable of running the country the way it needs to be run” and praises Macron for bringing “a new vigor and energy [to France]” and for sweeping away the old special interests and power brokers that once set the agenda."

In a tweet posted earlier this month, New York Times columnist Ross Douthat compared REM’s electoral victories to “a Bloomberg-Zuckerberg 3rd party winning the [White House] and 75 Senate seats.”"

http://rare.us/rare-politics/the-rise-of-the-radical-center/

I've mentioned this possibility before on other threads on this site.  The next realigning election may very well be one that tips the country in favor of radical centrism, as opposed to FDR Progressivism: The Sequel.  We've had a left/progressive realignment (FDR) and a right/conservative realignment (Reagan), but never a centrist one.

We'll see how the political climate is in the 2020s or 2030s for this to possibly happen.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:27:33 AM »

No major politician is part of the radical center really. EM leans right on economic issues and is more like a moderate Republican in terms of social and economic policy. Bloomberg leans a little more to the left if I'm not mistaken. It would be nice though to see a centrist third party group. I just don't think it will be of the radical center.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:02:39 AM »

No major politician is part of the radical center really. EM leans right on economic issues and is more like a moderate Republican in terms of social and economic policy. Bloomberg leans a little more to the left if I'm not mistaken. It would be nice though to see a centrist third party group. I just don't think it will be of the radical center.
I guess my point is that some kind of centrism could very well be the ideology of the next realignment.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »

I'd love this, but sadly I think we're going the opposite way. The future will be free speech hating SJWs vs. alt right neo Nazis.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 02:49:22 PM »

I guess my point is that some kind of centrism could very well be the ideology of the next realignment.

Then it wont be centrism anymore. Either the left or right would have to be completely supplanted by this centrist ideology for it to have power. FPTP.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 03:23:26 PM »

I would argue that America isn't quite ready for this. The rules of realignment dictate that for a completely different ideology to rise up, it takes forty-sixty years. Lincoln->Populism/Bryan->F. Roosevelt->Perot->2036. The real question here is will our next Presidents be increasingly radical, or moderates who foster the center along until a radical/extremist becomes President.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 09:05:55 PM »

3rd way neoliberals are definitely radical, with their $2 trillion wars that lead to ISIS being created while complaining that some other health system would cost too much when we have the most expensive health system in the world.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies