Is any Senator at all going to retire?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:08:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is any Senator at all going to retire?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is any Senator at all going to retire?  (Read 1509 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2017, 11:25:01 PM »

Menendez might get forcibly pushed not to seek reelection by the New Jersey Democrats (and I don't know if that even necessarily counts as retirement), but other than that it seems that close to everyone has signaled their intent to seek reelection. Cardin, Carper, Barrasso, and Wicker are all considering it, but we haven't seen any evidence behind-the-scenes in any of these states that they're actually likely to pull the trigger and retire, and everyone else has announced their seeking reelection. A few are speculated to be lying (McCaskill or Sanders) but this is doubtful.

So, who's going to end up retiring? Is anyone?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 12:01:36 AM »

Let's just wait and see.

On another note, if Tom Carper seeks reelection, Lisa Blunt Rochester is NOT running for that seat as he is her mentor.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:17:53 AM »

It's certainly possible Sanders could reverse course, especially if he does want to run for President in 2020.

Has Heitkamp actually filed for re-election yet? If she hasn't, it's possible she could step aside if polls show her too far behind possible opponents.

I think Carper will retire.

Wicker won't...remember Mississippi likes to keep their Senators around forever.

I have no clue about Barasso or Cardin.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 01:14:54 AM »

It's certainly possible Sanders could reverse course, especially if he does want to run for President in 2020.

Has Heitkamp actually filed for re-election yet? If she hasn't, it's possible she could step aside if polls show her too far behind possible opponents.

I think Carper will retire.

Wicker won't...remember Mississippi likes to keep their Senators around forever.

I have no clue about Barasso or Cardin.
LOL she's probably up big in her polls.
Barrasso has a nice spot in leadership and is relatively young, so he'll probably run again. If not, Matt Mead (who tried to get this seat by appointment in 2007) probably gets it with relative ease.
Cardin was thought to be on retirement watch, but from what I heard, signs point to him running again.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 01:21:23 AM »

Carper, Cardin, and Barrasso are the only ones I could see pulling the plug. They're all in safe states and they've all had fairly robust careers in terms of length.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 08:26:14 AM »

Cardin might retire, though I kinda doubt it. If he retired, it might have a downballot effect, where a subpar Democratic nominee for senate could give Hogan an easier time running for reelection, or possibly even cause an upset win for Republicans in the senate, though it's unlikely. Maryland is not known for a lot of split-ticketing.

Other than Cardin, I can see Carper possibly retiring. I'm convinced Heitkamp will eventually feel good enough about the national environment to run for reelection.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »

Hatch said he'd retire if Mitt Romney runs. That doesn't seem very likely at this point.
InheritTheWind

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »

Cardin might retire, though I kinda doubt it. If he retired, it might have a downballot effect, where a subpar Democratic nominee for senate could give Hogan an easier time running for reelection, or possibly even cause an upset win for Republicans in the senate, though it's unlikely. Maryland is not known for a lot of split-ticketing.

Other than Cardin, I can see Carper possibly retiring. I'm convinced Heitkamp will eventually feel good enough about the national environment to run for reelection.

There is absolutely zero chance that Maryland sends a Republican to the Senate in a Trump midterm.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 02:50:00 PM »

There is absolutely zero chance that Maryland sends a Republican to the Senate in a Trump midterm.
I know. I just have a hard time seeing Maryland reelecting both Cardin and Hogan at the same time.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 02:51:15 PM »

I know. I just have a hard time seeing Maryland reelecting both Cardin and Hogan at the same time.
It''ll happen.  Baker and Warren are going to cruise to re-election in MA.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 04:05:47 PM »

It''ll happen.  Baker and Warren are going to cruise to re-election in MA.
MA has a much longer history of ticket-splitting though. The last time a senate election and and a gubernatorial election in Maryland went different ways was in 1974, and that was when Charles Mathias, who was a liberal republican, was reelected.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 06:46:03 PM »

I am watching for Bill Nelson! No way he wants to face Rick Scott.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 01:54:40 AM »

Lol
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 03:22:44 AM »

Kinda hoping Cantwell retires tbf.
Andy Hine
Rookie
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »

Troll confirmed
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »

DelBene would be an upgrade and clear frontrunner. Not sure Jayapal could get into the top two after only two years in the House. Kilmer would probably be a downgrade, though I like him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies