Wyoming
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:36:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Wyoming
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wyoming  (Read 1685 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2017, 05:57:13 AM »

Hi, I just wanted to know how Wyoming could be Trump's best state (68.2%).
It was his worst caucus state by far (6.8%), even behind "uncommitted".
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 06:41:44 AM »

WY has been one of the most Republican states in the US, going back at least to 1980.

The low minority population and high firearm ownership rate spell disaster for any Dem in a GE (the best since 1976 was Dukakis in 1988, with 38%).

Perhaps in the primaries, WY voters were looking for someone more "ideologically pure".

IRL, WY was Hillary Clinton's worst state; she won only 21.9% of the PV there.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 08:46:06 AM »

So the Wyomingites would even vote for a broomstick as long it is Republican - even if they have broken it during their caucus?
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 06:57:04 PM »

So the Wyomingites would even vote for a broomstick as long it is Republican - even if they have broken it during their caucus?
Not necessarily. Wyoming had a two-term Democratic governor from 2003-2011, and a Democrat came very close to winning its congressional seat in 2006.
mencken
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:29:57 PM »

Trump's performances were about ~10% lower than he received in similarly-timed primaries (owing to restricted participation to non-party regulars); especially in Wyoming and Colorado where only the state convention results were reported.

Second, Cruz supporters (who overwhelmingly won Wyoming) were very loyal to Trump in the general election, unlike Kasich (and to a lesser extent, Rubio) supporters.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 12:35:10 AM »

Wyoming is an extremely conservative state. Bernie Sanders couldn't even manage a delegate win there, despite it being a Mountain/Plains caucus state, which he usually dominated.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 02:32:01 AM »

Just out of curiosity, how many people here have visited Wyoming?
Nichlemn

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 04:35:23 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's not *just* that it's a historically Republican state.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 05:44:50 AM »

Wyoming is an extremely conservative state. Bernie Sanders couldn't even manage a delegate win there, despite it being a Mountain/Plains caucus state, which he usually dominated.

Hillary had a huge number of surrogate votes in Wyoming despite them only being officially allowed for very limited situations.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 08:25:01 AM »

I never have, though I briefly dated someone from Wyoming. She said almost every household has a firearm, which probably did not help Hillary there either.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »

*raises hand*

It's kinda like Montana. But with even less population centers. Guns, hunting, fishing. I didn't notice many churches there, so maybe they're more libertarian-minded.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 12:42:53 PM »

It's also important to note that Wyoming is one of the most Mormon States in the US, with an estimated 9% of the population being LDS members.

Needless to say, in Wyoming LDS members tend to skew heavily Republican and participate actively in the political process, likely more so than some other Republican core constituencies.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2017, 12:49:03 PM »

Yup--- driven through the I-80 belt more times than I can remember (20?), basically where almost all of the population centers of the State are from Evanston, to Rock Springs, Laramie, & Cheyenne, and spent the Night in all of those towns more than once.

My Step-Mother grew up in Wyoming and has regaled me with many stories about Wyoming over the decades, and in many ways its more of a "Big L" type Libertarian State than your stereotypical Western Republican State.

Democrats can win statewide elections here, as others have noted, although I don't know how likely that will be anytime soon with a much more hyper-partisan political environment.
history nerd
Rauren Lyan
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 03:00:15 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2017, 03:02:16 PM by history nerd »

Both my parents were born in Wyoming and the majority of my family lives in the state... Great place!

A pro-gun, pro-energy democrats can win in the state... Of course that is a rare breed indeed.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »

My mom is from Wyoming and practically her whole family lives there. So I'm there every few years visiting them/just road tripping, and I get to talk politics with them a lot. Some would say too much.

I think the two main things to understand Wyoming's politics are the high amounts of irreligiosity and the extremely high levels of small business ownership + self employment. The largest non-government employer in the state (Rio Tinto Energy America) has just 1,795 employees. If you ask people the top issues that they vote on, I'm guessing the top three are guns, cutting red tape, and hostility to coal and oil. Obviously, the Republicans are going to have the edge on those issues.

At the same time, religious conservatism and race-baiting aren't going to get you as far in Wyoming as they might in other strongly Republican states. I think Ted Cruz did well in the caucus because he probably had the best-organized campaign at the time, which is needed to win in a very rural caucus state. But I really don't think he would be the top choice of most Wyomingites. I think most would fall somewhere in a spectrum between Rick Perry and Ron Paul.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 09:31:35 PM »

Remember that Trump came in third in Minnesota in the caucus and came closer to winning the state in the GE than any Republican since Reagan. He also lost the Iowa caucus and then won it handsomely in the GE, he lost the Maine caucus but managed to win one electoral vote from it, and so on. On the flip side NY and MA were two of his best primary states but he did badly in both in the GE, even for a Republican.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies