Favorite recent post by the previous poster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:21:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Favorite recent post by the previous poster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 74
Author Topic: Favorite recent post by the previous poster  (Read 76716 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2017, 09:07:46 PM »

I, RFayette, do solemnly affirm that I will faithfully execute the office of Member of the Fremont House of Commons and will, to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitutions of the Commonwealth of Fremont and of the Republic of Atlasia, so help me God.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2017, 07:53:33 AM »

WI is perfectly still within reach for Dems. It just isn't outright dem leaning anymore.
kyc0705

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2017, 09:51:02 AM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2017, 10:43:40 AM »

Context:

Apparently, he was on the forum around ten years ago and subsequently disappeared. But now he's resurfaced. Can he please go back to wherever he was?
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »

Conservatives are not welcome in the Netherlands.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2017, 02:35:40 PM »

I, Illiniwek, do solemnly affirm that I will faithfully execute the office of the Atlasian House of Representatives and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia, so help me God.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »

I'm on Atlas. By definition, I'm always wasting my time.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2017, 03:22:55 PM »

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2017, 03:41:09 PM »

This is probably generous to Mandel, but I think that we're starting to see the trends from 2016 continuing on in polling - i.e. the more Trump-friendly areas appear more GOP-leaning in congressional races in 2018 than those which were more hostile to Trump yet more traditionally Republican.  Archie Parnell is an exception here, but the special elections in general thus far suggest 2016 Presidential results as our new baseline for relative GOP congressional strength.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2017, 04:50:57 PM »

It was an interesting election that showed some of the more fundamental, nuanced divides in the American electorate.  It wasn't simply a battle of "right" vs "left"

Yes, I understand that Trump won a vast majority of conservatives and Hillary a vast majority of liberals; but its interesting that, like the Brexit vote, the 2016 election has helped establish (at least in popular discourse) a top/bottom, globalist/nationalist, insider/outsider dynamic that has never really been exploited by national politicians before.

Say what you want about the candidate's respective performances in affluent suburbs or rural hinterlands compared to previous elections, but the trends clearly demonstrate that the 2016 election was waged on ideological lines that, prior to last year, weren't the most well-demarcated.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »

This, but Klobuchar makes the ticket more appealing.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »

When I made that, I had misread your post as Casey unenthusiastically. Tongue

-skip-
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2017, 05:08:14 PM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 02:44:43 AM »

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Chief Justice and Party Chairman Windjammer for having the faith and trust in me to appoint me to the Atlasia House of Representatives. For those who do not know me, I am a patent lawyer with an engineering background, and I have dabbled in local electoral politics. Since my registration, I have been a citizen that was proud to take part in the Atlasian democratic experiment as a voter. Now, I am excited to take this big step up into the House of Representatives, where I can bring an outsider's prospective and an innovative approach to promote the vitality of the Constitution of Atlasia and the fundamental values it expresses: individual rights and liberties, genuine equality, access to justice, democracy, and the rule of law.

I would also like to take this opportunity to assure our party members that while I have not always voted 100% along the party line, I am committed to advocating for the progressive principals our Labor Party has fought for since its founding. I look forward to speaking with my fellow legislators, other government and public servants, and the common man about how we can improve the standard of living for every citizen in our great land.

This fellow Illinoisan and Congressman welcomes you to the Atlasian House of Representatives.

Half of the Labor Caucus is from Illinois. Deeply Disturbing! Tongue
And now it's two thirds. Come back, CXS, the Everyone Else Resistance needs you!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »

kyc0705

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2017, 12:28:01 PM »

No context:
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2017, 01:11:18 PM »

If anything, the "media mafia" needs to blackmail even more Redditors and 4channers, so they're too busy coming up with "retaliation" threats to actually do anything about it.

If all you tough guys REALLY believe this... then will you go post these same statements over at 4Chan or cross post this thread over there?

If not, why not?
Or I could use my time in a more productive way on more useful websites, like trying to become MySpace famous in 2017.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2017, 03:10:11 PM »

At the risk of agreeing with EnglishPete, I wouldn't put it past the Putin regime to throw Trump under the bus by leaking a bunch of generally boring correspondences with Trump people and throwing in a few smoking guns of their own. I mean, if I were in the Kremlin, I'd be getting pretty tired of his shenanigans as well.

What doesn't make sense for this narrative, though is why Trump Jr. felt compelled to release the info. Is he really so loyal as to throw himself under the bus regardless of whether it's legit or contrived? Does anyone really think this is all part of some plan where someone will produce a less-damning version of the email and say "See it was doctored!" And somehow exonerate Trump Jr.? Really?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2017, 03:20:14 PM »

I think that a better explanation of Goldwater doing so poorly in the Upper South and Appalachia is that the political and social history of those regions were not defined by slavery and the racial caste system that so obviously played the defining role in the Deep South.

Furthermore, significant parts of the Upper South and Appalachia were not just ancestrally Democratic, but - and this is key - actually had a rich history of organized labor that not only provided the basis for voters in those areas being left-wing economically and politically (if not culturally), but provided a basis for their long-time loyalty to the Democratic Party. This loyalty, of course, was only reinforced by the New Deal and for the most part, continued until very recently. Local political traditions lasted a lot longer there than in the Deep South.

That brings me to a final point: much of the South - especially the Deep Southern states won by Goldwater - was politically, a one-party system that was dominated by reactionary, segregationist Dixiecrat machines for over half a century (1896-1965). Note that 1965 was the year that the Voting Rights Act became law; this was after the 1964 presidential election. The fact that the election came before the VRA but after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is significant because the segregationists who controlled Southern politics until the VRA dismantled the one-party Solid South could not just cast protest votes against LBJ themselves, but still could use their corrupt machines to skew the results in the Deep South for Goldwater. When combined with the growth of the Republican Party in the South (particularly among the white middle classes in the growing cities and suburbs) - and these Republicans were very conspicuously NOT "socially moderate Rockefeller Republican" types, lol - and the fact that black voters were still basically disenfranchised en masse, it's not really a mystery.

The Upper South and Appalachia, in contrast, did not have these factors - certainly not to the extent that the Deep South had. The only real exception was Arkansas, but note that the Democratic Party there - like in Oklahoma and Texas, neither of which are really "Deep South" in the  way that say, Alabama or Mississippi are - lasted a lot longer there as a force, particularly in state and congressional politics, than in Lower Dixie. And working class whites in Appalachia and the Upper South who either belonged to labor unions or lived in communities that had a significant union presence were certainly not about to ditch their longtime Democratic partisanship for noted anti-union, anti-New Deal Republican firebrand Barry Goldwater! Some of them may have been willing to vote for the comparatively moderate on the New Deal Dwight Eisenhower or Richard Nixon (particularly in 1960, before he started to take advantage of the Republican Party's moving to the hard Right as exemplified by Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan) but in 1964, the hard-edged, hard-line, and not very populist Goldwater was anathema to them, especially against the very popular (at the time, and again, outside the Deep South and some wealthy white suburbs in the Sun Belt and some other parts of the country) and very populist Lyndon Johnson.

/long-winded effortpost Tongue
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2017, 03:24:39 PM »

i did a thing

have fun identifying who's who
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2017, 03:28:57 PM »

Internet forums ain't that serious, dude.
Advice that we should all take.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2017, 05:06:07 PM »

kyc0705

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »

No context:
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »

Yes, we should overthrow the government and make way for Prince Ali. Mighty is he, Ali Ababwah. Strong as ten regular men, definitely!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2017, 04:51:26 AM »

I can't wait to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars so that my kid can go to a diploma mill and learn to hate me for being part of the white-male power structure.

So you'd prefer people to be stupid. Got it.

So you assume that a collage degree automatically equals intelligence?

I wish I went to collage.

I think Goldwater needs to take a break today lmao

Ugh, typos don't discredit my point. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies