Matt Yglesias: Bernie Sanders is the real 2020 Democratic frontrunner
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:25:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Matt Yglesias: Bernie Sanders is the real 2020 Democratic frontrunner
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Matt Yglesias: Bernie Sanders is the real 2020 Democratic frontrunner  (Read 2442 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:15:50 AM »

There's a relatively lengthy piece in Vox about how Bernie Sanders is doing everything someone who came close to a presidential nomination would do in order to get it the next time.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/7/5/15802616/bernie-sanders-2020

Is Sanders being underestimated due to his age? Or would he pretty likely to get rushed when people other than Hillary Clinton is running for the nomination?
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:17:55 AM »

Who the hell is Matt Yglesias?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »

Noooo idea *munches on bread casually*
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 08:32:11 AM »

Well duh
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 09:47:39 AM »

yay
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »

The only issue will be if he would attract enough African-Americans votes in states like MI, WI, PA, NC, SC, GA, MO, MD, FL and TX
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 10:54:33 AM »

That article makes a fair point that there doesn't seem to be any evidence that being older hurts someone in the primaries. That's obviously true for Republicans who in the last 40 years have nominated Reagan at almost 70 (then the oldest new president) Dole and McCain at over 70 and Trump (the new oldest new president). Democrats have almost always nominated candidates in their 40s or 50s but that seems to be opening up a bit. Kerry was north of 60, Clinton was the frontrunner in 2007 when she turned 60 and last time, everyone ignored O'Malley in favor of Clinton at almost 70 and Sanders at 75 is the most popular politician among young voters in the country. (He even got booed for trying to play the young card.) Biden and Sanders would if elected turn 80 in their first term. But as long as you can hold your own on a debate stage, no one seems to care, which is good.

The only issue will be if he would attract enough African-Americans votes in states like MI, WI, PA, NC, SC, GA, MO, MD, FL and TX

I think many have mistaken Hillary's popularity with black voters for Sanders's unpopularity.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 11:13:47 AM »

You chose some weird states to claim he needs the black vote. Aside from that I don't think Sanders is necessarily unpopular with black people. Clinton had real popularity with them last time around. And while I think Corey Booker might steal a good chunk of the black I think the fact that there will still probably be a crowded-ish primary on Super Tuesday erases some of that fact. Also don't think Booker will be nearly as popular with black voters as Obama was.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 11:33:29 AM »

I'm sure he is.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 11:37:16 AM »

With an FBI investigation against his wife and allegations that she threw disabled persons into the street, I don't think that's a sound prediction.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 11:39:17 AM »

With an FBI investigation against his wife and allegations that she threw disabled persons into the street, I don't think that's a sound prediction.
The only people who know or care about that investigation either love him or hate him, and we all know which one of those two camps is larger.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »

Sure.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »

There was an FBI investigation against Hillary and allegations that her husband was a rapist, and she still got the nomination.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 01:20:58 PM »

The only people who know or care about that investigation either love him or hate him, and we all know which one of those two camps is larger.

That depends on the outcome of the investigation. If she really put disabled people out on the street and committed loan fraud, that's a big problem.

There was an FBI investigation against Hillary and allegations that her husband was a rapist, and she still got the nomination.

Considering that outcome of the general election, it's unlikely that anyone under any sort of investigation would be nominated.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »

The lies. This demagogue is never going to happen.
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »

I assume the African-American vote will be split among Harris, Booker, and Biden. I don't think he needs their support to win this time, but he should definitely still target them.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 04:11:42 PM »

Please no, I don't see people's desire to have a bunch of geriatrics running the party.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 04:17:20 PM »

Please no, I don't see people's desire to have a bunch of geriatrics running the party.

Rather have a 80 year with new ideas than a 49 year old running on the same ol' s**t.
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 04:19:46 PM »

Rather have a 80 year with new ideas than a 49 year old running on the same ol' s**t.

I gotta agree with this.

Anyway, I doubt Sanders or Biden could run for a second term.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 04:21:03 PM »

There are PLENTY of progressives who share Bernie's ideas who can be viable candidates; Merkely, Gabbard, Brown, Warren etc. Being 87 at the end of a two year term is just ridiculous.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »

What is demagogic about saying that we need to take better care of each other as a society, and that the rich should start paying their fair share in taxes?  If he's a demagogue, then so is pretty much every European social democrat.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 04:39:40 PM »

The demagoguery is in the rhetoric about revolution. Aside from that, he has no new ideas and pretty much is all about giving speeches saying the same thing.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »

What is demagogic about saying that we need to take better care of each other as a society, and that the rich should start paying their fair share in taxes?  If he's a demagogue, then so is pretty much every European social democrat.

"Scary times we're living in folks, I attended a Bernie rally the other day and saw that people were EXCITED about politics! You'd never see that kind of derangement a #Resistance rally"
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 04:44:43 PM »

Making promises of breaking up big banks and giving away degrees for free when you know damn well that stuff won't get passed is demagoguery.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »

Why would this be shocking to the point of a sarcastic response like this?  He's as likely as anyone else this far out.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies