LA Gov 2019- Will Bel Edwards win a second term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:45:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  LA Gov 2019- Will Bel Edwards win a second term
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LA Gov 2019- Will Bel Edwards win a second term  (Read 2458 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2017, 11:09:42 AM »

discuss
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:20:11 AM »

Yes. He's popular and a Democrat that (I and) many GOPers in the state like
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:23:49 AM »

Trump midterm should also ensure Democrats don't get lazy and stay home.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 06:19:36 PM »

Yes, of course, and his last name is just "Edwards."
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 06:24:36 PM »

My family in Louisiana seems to like him, but none of them have ever voted for a Republican before so that means little to nothing.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 06:34:05 PM »

My family in Louisiana seems to like him, but none of them have ever voted for a Republican before so that means little to nothing.

I find it hard to believe that there are any white people left in Louisiana who have never voted Republican before. Are they like 100 years old?
BlueDogDemocrat
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 07:20:29 PM »

I don't think so. I don't see him loosing unless there is a really good candidate that the GOP can find to run against him. He has a decent approval rating in a conservative state and he will get a bonus with it being during Trumps terms, which all together will probable leave him with a decent election margin.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »

Of course. He's a good fit for his state. He's no Landrieu.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 08:13:07 PM »

He'll almost certainly win (Likely D), but not because it's a "Trump midterm", lol. Hopefully the GOP nominates someone competent, though.

No, but it should help Democratic turnout.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 11:06:37 AM »

I think he will. He's quite popular among Cajun voters, who tend to be swing voters downballot. The LA GOP is also not the most competant of state parties. LA is the only deep south state that doesn't have an R supermajority in the legislature.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 11:17:33 AM »

I'd think he would ... moderate, "opposite party" governors who get elected in states that used to favor that party downballot tend to win re-election, no?
Rjjr77
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 03:03:55 PM »

I actually say no. The further from the Baton Rouge flood he gets the less popular I think he remains. Jeff Landry may be running against him which would make for a very interesting Acadiana vs Floridian parish dynamic.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »

Yes. He's a good fit for the state and even I think Bel Edwards > Bobby Jindal.
To be fair:

A bayour gator>Jindal
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 07:55:24 PM »

I think he will. He's quite popular among Cajun voters, who tend to be swing voters downballot. The LA GOP is also not the most competant of state parties. LA is the only deep south state that doesn't have an R supermajority in the legislature.

It's also one of the least ideologically rigid Republican Parties in the country.
Rjjr77
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 12:44:23 AM »

It's also one of the least ideologically rigid Republican Parties in the country.

Louisiana is very rigid, just a different kind of ideology than anywhere else. Take guns, abortion, and God (now also immigration) out and it's not too far from a New England style of republicanism.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 02:36:34 AM »

Assuming Dardenne or Cao doesn't run, I would call it completely safe for him.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 06:03:34 AM »

Toss up for now depends on who the republican is in the second round?
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 11:06:03 PM »

Trump midterm should also ensure Democrats don't get lazy and stay home.
Don't count on it... you'd have thought they'd come out to keep him from getting elected, but they didn't.
Rjjr77
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 08:49:57 PM »

Louisiana is very rigid, just a different kind of ideology than anywhere else. Take guns, abortion, and God (now also immigration) out and it's not too far from a New England style of republicanism.

Politically, Louisiana seems like the very Catholic New England states prior to 1992 when social conservatism was still salient there.

to a point, baptist Louisiana is more Arkansas south.
Rjjr77
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 10:24:58 PM »

Politically, Louisiana seems like the very Catholic New England states prior to 1992 when social conservatism was still salient there.

True, but that's only one major metro area (Shreveport) and 1.5ish CDs out of 6.  Also, majority white counties in that area have been inflexibly R for much longer than Arkansas.  It's basically East Texas, realigned during and after Carter and never looked back. 

It may have been more R but it ain't Texas, it's Arkansas. There's an unbearable swagger to Texans that Baptist Louisiana doesn't share. Not everything is broken down politically
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2017, 03:26:11 PM »

True, but that's only one major metro area (Shreveport) and 1.5ish CDs out of 6.  Also, majority white counties in that area have been inflexibly R for much longer than Arkansas.  It's basically East Texas, realigned during and after Carter and never looked back. 

It may have been more R but it ain't Texas, it's Arkansas. There's an unbearable swagger to Texans that Baptist Louisiana doesn't share. Not everything is broken down politically

We also had a literal Rockefeller Republican as Lieutenant Governor as late as 2006. If he hadn't died, we might have had one as Governor.
Rjjr77
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 06:50:53 PM »

We also had a literal Rockefeller Republican as Lieutenant Governor as late as 2006. If he hadn't died, we might have had one as Governor.

I forgot about W.P., he might have won if not for leukemia
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies