Oregon Set to Pass Free Funding of Abortions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:31:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Oregon Set to Pass Free Funding of Abortions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Oregon Set to Pass Free Funding of Abortions  (Read 2964 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2017, 11:33:49 PM »

Apologies if this topic has been posted elsewhere....

Oregon is set to codify reproduction rights that thus far no other state in the US has done.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/oregon-approves-measure-requiring-insurers-cover-abortion-48462214

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/07/06/oregon_passes_sweeping_law_enshrining_abortion_rights_and_funding_for_all.html

Needless to say, the Governor will most likely sign the bill into law, and it will have no impact whatsoever in terms of partisan electoral politics within the State, where Female reproductive rights have the highest level support of just about any other state in the Union.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:51:43 PM »

This is terrible
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:53:07 PM »

Right now, somewhere in the United States, ExtremeRepublican's head is literally exploding.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 11:56:24 PM »

Right now, somewhere in the United States, ExtremeRepublican's head is literally exploding.

This is a waste of tax payer money

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 11:56:51 PM »

Dems sure do love them some abortions.  It's very important to them that they be available free of charge for any reason, as opposed to chronic health conditions, where they leave coverage and co-pays up to the insurance companies.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 11:58:06 PM »

Dems sure do love them some abortions.  It's very important to them that they be available free of charge for any reason, as opposed to chronic health conditions, where they leave coverage and co-pays up to the insurance companies.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 11:59:14 PM »

Because......?

"I'll never need an abortion?"
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 11:59:28 PM »

Personally, I think abortions should be covered if medically necessary or if they are underage (and maybe a couple other specific circumstances I can't think of right now). I do not think elective abortions should be covered for free like this. I mean don't get me wrong, I think they should easily accessible and cheap, but I don't really see why it has to be this particular way. I think they are just pandering, more or less.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 11:59:42 PM »

If one is medically necessary, of course your health insurance should pay for it - just like they would any other medically necessary procedure.

But while I support people's right to choose to have an abortion, the very fact that it is a choice 99% of the time - that is, not necessary - is why it's ridiculous to mandate insurers pay for all abortions.

We might as well mandate coverage for nose jobs and breast implants.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 12:05:29 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2017, 12:07:41 AM by Badger »

If one is medically necessary, of course your health insurance should pay for it - just like they would any other medically necessary procedure.

But while I support people's right to choose to have an abortion, the very fact that it is a choice 99% of the time - that is, not necessary - is why it's ridiculous to mandate insurers pay for all abortions.

Read these two sentences you typed in the same post very slowly back to back.

Do you really not think there's maybe even a teensy difference in medical necessity between most abortions and rhinoplasty/boob jobs?

More to the point, isn't there just the slightest difference in the effect on one's life between having an unwanted child to raise vs. not being able to upgrade to a D cup?

The government being involved in family planning is hardly an abstract act of frippery.
GGover
BBovine
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: 2.09

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 12:19:29 AM »

Agreed.

I really do think of myself as a pretty liberal person, but I'm personally not a fan of abortion. It's pretty upsetting that my tax dollars are being used to fund this. If a woman was raped or just can't have the child for health reasons, sure, but letting anyone just have an abortion at anytime is an absurd waste of money.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 12:20:04 AM »

Read these two sentences you typed in the same post very slowly back to back.

Do you really not think there's maybe even a teensy difference in medical necessity between most abortions and rhinoplasty/boob jobs?

More to the point, isn't there just the slightest difference in the effect on one's life between having an unwanted child to raise vs. not being able to upgrade to a D cup?

The government being involved in family planning is hardly an abstract act of frippery.

Having a child you don't want is a terrible thing, but it isn't a medical problem. That isn't what medical insurance is for.

If the government wants to be involved in family planning, then the government should set aside money to fund abortions for indigent women who can't pay for it themselves. Don't shove it onto private insurance companies.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 12:52:41 AM »

I agree with the ladies and the righties, this seems a bit too far.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 12:59:18 AM »

birth control > insulin
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 01:17:53 AM »

This law is also a disgrace , abortion shouldn't be encouraged
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 01:20:02 AM »

I think part of the motivation for this bill is that it is a muddle finger to the establishment the same way that the Bible Belt and Big Oil states were to Obama.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 01:48:37 AM »

I 100% support this bill. Why place roadblocks in the way of someone getting an abortion? If they want an abortion, it's better for them, that fetus, and society that they do not keep it. The fewer unwanted children or ones that cannot be adequately provided for, the better off everyone will be. Only a tiny number of women would ever elect to have an abortion unless they felt it was necessary, so making it harder, particularly for low-income women and those underage, is helping what, exactly?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 02:15:19 AM »

I 100% support this bill. Why place roadblocks in the way of someone getting an abortion? If they want an abortion, it's better for them, that fetus, and society that they do not keep it. The fewer unwanted children or ones that cannot be adequately provided for, the better off everyone will be. Only a tiny number of women would ever elect to have an abortion unless they felt it was necessary, so making it harder, particularly for low-income women and those underage, is helping what, exactly?

Cause the government shouldn't be funding morally questionable things(and I'm not talking legislating it just funding them )
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 02:19:18 AM »

Excellent news.

The fact that no Democratic-controlled State has done that before is a truly shameful testament to the implicitly classist, elite-driven nature of the American pro-choice movement.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 02:20:22 AM »

Both the far left and far right have lost their minds and those are the people running this country
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 02:37:32 AM »

Cause the government shouldn't be funding morally questionable things(and I'm not talking legislating it just funding them )

There's nothing morally questionable about abortion. That's largely a weird Christian obsession.

Excellent news.

The fact that no Democratic-controlled State has done that before is a truly shameful testament to the implicitly classist, elite-driven nature of the American pro-choice movement.

Unfortunately, you're right. The pro-choice movement seems to be more preoccupied with ensuring the rights of middle and upper middle-class White women, rather than access for all women - particularly those most vulnerable, like lower, working class, and minority women. If anything, the state should directly subsidize or cover the expenses of abortion for low-income women.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 02:42:14 AM »

There's nothing morally questionable about abortion. That's largely a weird Christian obsession.

Excellent news.

Unfortunately, you're right. The pro-choice movement seems to be more preoccupied with ensuring the rights of middle and upper middle-class White women, rather than access for all women - particularly those most vulnerable, like lower, working class, and minority women. If anything, the state should directly subsidize or cover the expenses of abortion for low-income women.

Im not a christian and most of the people I know(who are also not christian) agree with me.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 02:55:32 AM »

Excellent news.

Im not a christian and most of the people I know(who are also not christian) agree with me.

Values inevitably derived from a Christian culture (unless they are from a non-Christian culture, which may have its own taboos concerning abortion, life, and reproduction).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 03:07:30 AM »

Excellent news.

Values inevitably derived from a Christian culture (unless they are from a non-Christian culture, which may have its own taboos concerning abortion, life, and reproduction).

I am a hindu
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 03:15:55 AM »

Excellent news.

I am a hindu

And that negates what I said, how?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies