Study: cities rely more on fines for revenue if they have more black residents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:30:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Study: cities rely more on fines for revenue if they have more black residents
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Study: cities rely more on fines for revenue if they have more black residents  (Read 1312 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2017, 01:05:28 PM »

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/7/7/15929196/police-fines-study-racism

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 01:12:58 PM »

Interesting.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »

Why am I not surprised?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 07:47:20 PM »

Obviously, I haven't read the article, but the concluding paragraph you quote sounds spurious.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 07:56:49 PM »

Obviously, I haven't read the article, but the concluding paragraph you quote sounds spurious.

fake news!
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 09:09:14 PM »

But people told me racism was gone once Obama was elected.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 10:46:34 PM »

Yet another issue (cops using poor citizens as funding source) Dems finally figured out was important decades after libertarians started bitching about it.  Next thing ya know you guys are going to figure it out that rent control is horrible for poor people.  Maybe in another 15 years.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 10:50:50 PM »

Oh, I shouldn't post right when I wake up.  The Dems haven't figured sh**t out have they?  This is just a study some of you here are "not surprised by".  Nothing is going to change.  Cops are good dues paying union members, don't want to rock that boat.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 10:55:11 PM »

fake news!

Eh.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »

Yet another issue (cops using poor citizens as funding source) Dems finally figured out was important decades after libertarians started bitching about it.  Next thing ya know you guys are going to figure it out that rent control is horrible for poor people.  Maybe in another 15 years.

Uh, what? Only four states (California, New York, New Jersey and Maryland) and DC allow and have any form of rent control.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 11:20:02 PM »

Yep, and?  Do only give a sh**t about things that directly affect you?   Do you ....<remembers who he's talking to>

ahhh, nevermind.  You wouldn't understand.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 11:22:35 PM »

fake news!

Eh.

That's my way of saying ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The last paragraph actually directly followed the last one from the quote above it. I didn't know what you were referring to in it as incorrect. It seems accurate, although I would note that police plundering the populace for revenue is not always relegated to racial minorities. For instance, civil asset forfeiture and highway speed trap towns are equal opportunity ventures.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2017, 01:34:18 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2017, 01:45:50 PM by Cath »

fake news!

Eh.

The last paragraph actually directly followed the last one from the quote above it. I didn't know what you were referring to in it as incorrect. It seems accurate, although I would note that police plundering the populace for revenue is not always relegated to racial minorities. For instance, civil asset forfeiture and highway speed trap towns are equal opportunity ventures.

"The study does not prove causation," in the third paragraph, followed later in the final paragraph with the assertion "Time and time again, we’ve seen that when cash-strapped cities need revenue, they use their police departments to ticket vulnerable populations, particularly racial minorities." While, no doubt, people can be all kinds of heels, this seems to take a statistical finding to infer the motivations of administrative decisions, conjuring up the image of some slimed looking councilman muttering in the midst of a deficit discussion, "Well, we have the Blacks..." Far less sinister would be the idea that (1) for reasons that cannot be controlled at the city level, high minority municipalities may be more poor or, in friendlier language, have a smaller tax base; (2) that "cash-strapped" cities resort to short-sighted attempts to make up for revenue losses. Bringing in Michael Brown who, as far as I can remember, was involved in a robbery, further dilutes this article's point.

EDIT: Havimg skimmed the article you linked to (though not the study itself), I can't say any of my impressions have changed. Interesting findings, for sure. That said, an issue that was only touched on in about one sentence was the pressure on officers to perform [tasks that came to constitute, in one form or another] revenue intake, which I think we can both agree is ineffective and unjust toward multiple parties. The article mentioned variables that were controlled for, but did not mention economic factors (perhaps more a fault of the author than those undertaking the study; such remains to be seen). A more descriptive research methodology that demonstrated the circumstances and mechanics by which a municipality might see a loss of revenue, institute more and greater fines, and so on might clarify this. Of course, racism is in many instances non-rational, and findings showing increased targeting of minorities for fines in cities that clearly did not need the revenue would be just as compelling.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 01:50:07 PM »

Yep, and?  Do only give a sh**t about things that directly affect you?   Do you ....<remembers who he's talking to>

ahhh, nevermind.  You wouldn't understand.

aka the vast majority of Democrats live in places with no rent control. Your point is invalid.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 04:55:45 PM »

Oh, I shouldn't post right when I wake up.  The Dems haven't figured sh**t out have they?  This is just a study some of you here are "not surprised by".  Nothing is going to change.  Cops are good dues paying union members, don't want to rock that boat.

Go back to bed.
You are making no sense. Just a bunch of babbling.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »

Blue lives matter.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »

Troll lives matter.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »

fake news!

Eh.

"The study does not prove causation," in the third paragraph, followed later in the final paragraph with the assertion "Time and time again, we’ve seen that when cash-strapped cities need revenue, they use their police departments to ticket vulnerable populations, particularly racial minorities." While, no doubt, people can be all kinds of heels, this seems to take a statistical finding to infer the motivations of administrative decisions, conjuring up the image of some slimed looking councilman muttering in the midst of a deficit discussion, "Well, we have the Blacks..." Far less sinister would be the idea that (1) for reasons that cannot be controlled at the city level, high minority municipalities may be more poor or, in friendlier language, have a smaller tax base; (2) that "cash-strapped" cities resort to short-sighted attempts to make up for revenue losses. Bringing in Michael Brown who, as far as I can remember, was involved in a robbery, further dilutes this article's point.

EDIT: Havimg skimmed the article you linked to (though not the study itself), I can't say any of my impressions have changed. Interesting findings, for sure. That said, an issue that was only touched on in about one sentence was the pressure on officers to perform [tasks that came to constitute, in one form or another] revenue intake, which I think we can both agree is ineffective and unjust toward multiple parties. The article mentioned variables that were controlled for, but did not mention economic factors (perhaps more a fault of the author than those undertaking the study; such remains to be seen). A more descriptive research methodology that demonstrated the circumstances and mechanics by which a municipality might see a loss of revenue, institute more and greater fines, and so on might clarify this. Of course, racism is in many instances non-rational, and findings showing increased targeting of minorities for fines in cities that clearly did not need the revenue would be just as compelling.

Vox articles aren't known for their logically rigorous writing. What's more, I can't promise that this extends to the social sciences (though I would be surprised if it were fully inoculated from this effect), but journalistic popularizations of work in the natural sciences range from embarrassingly poor at worst to merely misleading at best. This applies to even leading publications that should have the means to enlist actual expertise to assist them in understanding these papers.

I haven't really had the chance to read through the study either, but that's where the good content would be.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 05:15:18 PM »

Blue incomes matter, you mean.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States