Oklahoma Governor 2018 Smorgasbord
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:47:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Oklahoma Governor 2018 Smorgasbord
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Oklahoma Governor 2018 Smorgasbord  (Read 4371 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »

Republican Governor Mary Fallin is term-limited (Hallelujah!) in 2018, and there is a litany of candidates already lining up to take her place in both parties.

Here are the candidates in both parties who have either formally declared or are considered potential contenders:

Republicans:

Declared
Mick Cornett - Mayor of Oklahoma City
Gary Jones - Oklahoma State Auditor & Inspector
Todd Lamb - Lieutenant Governor
Gary Richardson - former US Attorney for the Eastern District of Oklahoma and Independent Gov Candidate in 2002

Potential
Jim Bridenstine - US House Representative - District 1
Ken Miller - Oklahoma State Treasurer
Bob Mills - Businessman

Democrats:

Declared:
Drew Edmondson - Former Attorney General
Scott Inman - State Senate Minority Leader
Connie Johnson - Former State Senator

Potential:
Kenneth Corn - Former State Senator
Mike Turpen - member of the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education and former Attorney General

Declined:
Dan Boren - Former US House Representative - District 2
Joe Dorman - Former State Representative

Libertarian:

Declared:
Rex Lawhorn - telecommunications technician
Joe Moldonado (aka Joe Exotic), zookeeper
Chris Powell - candidate for Oklahoma County Clerk in 2016
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »

Hoping Edmondson wins the primary, I think he'd have the best shot of winning aside from Boren, who isn't running.

Any of these are better than Fallin though.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »

Why does Joe Dorman not want to run again?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 06:27:07 PM »

So how do you guys feel about Joe Exotic? Tongue

Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 06:33:27 PM »

So how do you guys feel about Joe Exotic? Tongue

He reminds me a bit of Big Gay Al. Tongue

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 07:11:05 PM »

Inman v Cornett seems like best case scenario
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 08:43:35 PM »

It almost seems like Connie Johnson controls the Oklahoma Dems .
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 09:03:15 PM »

So, she controls herself?  Cheesy
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 09:37:30 PM »

Hoping Edmondson wins the primary, I think he'd have the best shot of winning aside from Boren, who isn't running.

Any of these are better than Fallin though.

I'm personally hoping for Scott Inman.  You're right, though, any of these are better than Fallin.  I am proud to say I did not vote for Fallin in either 2010 or 2014.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 09:39:18 PM »

Rooting for Mick Cornett
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 09:53:07 PM »

He would not be a bad governor.  He's done well by the people of Oklahoma City.  He is our longest-serving mayor, having been in office since 2004.  He has helped grow this city tremendously and, really, exponentially, and played a key role in bringing the Seattle Supersonics to town 9 years ago.  He took us from an oil town only to a bustling tourist city with lots of stuff to do.  He has been instrumental in bringing businesses and jobs to this city.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 10:15:16 PM »

So, she controls herself?  Cheesy

Except in cases regarding abortion, of course. Then the powerful hand of "small government" does .
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 10:16:02 PM »

Oh hey welcome back. This is and probably will be Likely R at best for Democrats for the majority of the race, but Inman at least keeps it somewhat alive.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 11:04:23 PM »

Cornett v. Edmondson is probably the best case scenario here. I don't want to get my hopes up for a more insane candidate on the Republican side, because most likely they'd still win.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 01:26:00 AM »

Ideological positions? I understand that all Republican candidates must be conservatives for example, but there are different stripes of conservatism. And Democrats are, probably, not that far from the center (liberal will not win Oklahoma in foreseable future)?
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2017, 02:14:17 AM »

Ideological positions? I understand that all Republican candidates must be conservatives for example, but there are different stripes of conservatism. And Democrats are, probably, not that far from the center (liberal will not win Oklahoma in foreseable future)?

Connie Johnson is definitely a liberal. She's pro-choice, supports LGBT rights, wants to expand on Obamacare, supports legislation legalizing marijuana, promotes green energy, and supports a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants. She also supported Sanders over Clinton in the Dem. primaries.

I'd definitely vote for her in the general and would vote her in the primary but Oklahoma isn't going to elect a liberal black woman as their governor.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2017, 02:28:35 AM »

I'd definitely vote for her in the general and would vote her in the primary but Oklahoma isn't going to elect a liberal black woman as their governor.

Exactly. And i have no interest in candidates, who can't win. What about other candidates?
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 02:49:04 AM »

Exactly. And i have no interest in candidates, who can't win. What about other candidates?

Both remain pretty quiet on controversial social issues. Both (afaik) are pro-life with either A ratings or endorsements from the NRA (which I mean otherwise would practically be a death sentence here politics wise) though. Expect them to talk more about education and job creation. I don't know if there's anything major where they'd disagree on and the only reason I'd support Edmondson over Inman is that Edmondson's actually won state-wide elections before.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 04:01:56 AM »

Both remain pretty quiet on controversial social issues. Both (afaik) are pro-life with either A ratings or endorsements from the NRA (which I mean otherwise would practically be a death sentence here politics wise) though. Expect them to talk more about education and job creation. I don't know if there's anything major where they'd disagree on and the only reason I'd support Edmondson over Inman is that Edmondson's actually won state-wide elections before.

Thanks! And - i understand that you are a Democrat, but you surely know something about Republican candidates. Who is more "sane"?
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 04:31:25 AM »

Thanks! And - i understand that you are a Democrat, but you surely know something about Republican candidates. Who is more "sane"?

Mick Cornett's probably the best on the GOP side of things. Like Bushie mentioned, he has overseen growth in OKC and helped advance it. I don't personally live there but I've heard good things about him. Todd Lamb's obviously going to have a hard time trying to distance himself from Fallin and hasn't really made any efforts yet in that regard. Richardson and Jones are both probably gonna be more "populist" than Lamb and Cornett, with Richardson focusing a lot on getting rid of our turnpike system and being a political outsider. Jones is most noted for getting mad at the state legislature (mostly them docking his pay, lol) but honestly hasn't really done much.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 04:45:22 AM »

^ More thanks! Now it's more or less clear)))))
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 02:35:34 PM »

Oh hey welcome back. This is and probably will be Likely R at best for Democrats for the majority of the race, but Inman at least keeps it somewhat alive.

In most cases, including this one, you're probably right with the Likely R prediction, but with the vastly unpopular administration of Gov. Fallin, especially in her second term and the sad state of education in our state and the inability/lack of want of the state legislature to raise teacher pay (an issue very personal to me as I am currently in school to become an elementary teacher), this is the best chance for a Democrat to win.  Also, keep in mind who Mary Fallin's predecessor was - Democrat Brad Henry.  Before him was Republican Frank Keating, but before him was Democrat David Walters.  So, we have actually been alternating between Republican and Democratic governors.  Personally, I would put the race as Lean R for the time being just because of our voting bloc.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »

Scott Inman just came to our house. Seemed like a nice guy.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 06:00:13 PM »

for what its worth I really hope Edmundson doesn't win. I'm imaging he'll tank badly ala Evan Bayh or Ted Strickland.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 06:40:45 PM »

Jari Askins will win.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies