Oklahoma Governor 2018 Smorgasbord (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:08:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Oklahoma Governor 2018 Smorgasbord (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oklahoma Governor 2018 Smorgasbord  (Read 4431 times)
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« on: July 08, 2017, 06:22:19 PM »

Hoping Edmondson wins the primary, I think he'd have the best shot of winning aside from Boren, who isn't running.

Any of these are better than Fallin though.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 02:14:17 AM »

Ideological positions? I understand that all Republican candidates must be conservatives for example, but there are different stripes of conservatism. And Democrats are, probably, not that far from the center (liberal will not win Oklahoma in foreseable future)?

Connie Johnson is definitely a liberal. She's pro-choice, supports LGBT rights, wants to expand on Obamacare, supports legislation legalizing marijuana, promotes green energy, and supports a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants. She also supported Sanders over Clinton in the Dem. primaries.

I'd definitely vote for her in the general and would vote her in the primary but Oklahoma isn't going to elect a liberal black woman as their governor.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 02:49:04 AM »

Ideological positions? I understand that all Republican candidates must be conservatives for example, but there are different stripes of conservatism. And Democrats are, probably, not that far from the center (liberal will not win Oklahoma in foreseable future)?

I'd definitely vote for her in the general and would vote her in the primary but Oklahoma isn't going to elect a liberal black woman as their governor.

Exactly. And i have no interest in candidates, who can't win. What about other candidates?

Both remain pretty quiet on controversial social issues. Both (afaik) are pro-life with either A ratings or endorsements from the NRA (which I mean otherwise would practically be a death sentence here politics wise) though. Expect them to talk more about education and job creation. I don't know if there's anything major where they'd disagree on and the only reason I'd support Edmondson over Inman is that Edmondson's actually won state-wide elections before.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 04:31:25 AM »

Exactly. And i have no interest in candidates, who can't win. What about other candidates?

Both remain pretty quiet on controversial social issues. Both (afaik) are pro-life with either A ratings or endorsements from the NRA (which I mean otherwise would practically be a death sentence here politics wise) though. Expect them to talk more about education and job creation. I don't know if there's anything major where they'd disagree on and the only reason I'd support Edmondson over Inman is that Edmondson's actually won state-wide elections before.

Thanks! And - i understand that you are a Democrat, but you surely know something about Republican candidates. Who is more "sane"?

Mick Cornett's probably the best on the GOP side of things. Like Bushie mentioned, he has overseen growth in OKC and helped advance it. I don't personally live there but I've heard good things about him. Todd Lamb's obviously going to have a hard time trying to distance himself from Fallin and hasn't really made any efforts yet in that regard. Richardson and Jones are both probably gonna be more "populist" than Lamb and Cornett, with Richardson focusing a lot on getting rid of our turnpike system and being a political outsider. Jones is most noted for getting mad at the state legislature (mostly them docking his pay, lol) but honestly hasn't really done much.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »

Scott Inman just came to our house. Seemed like a nice guy.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 04:59:57 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2017, 05:06:57 PM by Skunk »

Edmondson is the most likely Dem by far to win. He is a proven candidate who can, and hopefully will, win.

61.2%
60.1%
 52.2%
1994, 2002 and 2006, from bottom to top, he ran unnopposed in 1998.

Have those three panhandle counties ever voted Democratic?

Carter carried Cimarron (far left) in '76. As for statewide, Cimarron also voted David Walters for governor in 1990.

Edit: Cimarron also voted Dem in the 1994 State Auditor race. Tongue
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 03:57:51 PM »

BREAKING: Inman out, resigning as State Rep.

Not a good sign. There's still Drew Edmondson who's our best bet, but it isn't guaranteed he'll win the primary. Connie Johnson is the only Democrat besides him left in the race but she'd be near certain to lose.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 06:37:40 AM »

Just cautious after him losing the 2010 one in an upset is all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies