How do British Jews vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:59:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How do British Jews vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do British Jews vote?  (Read 1477 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2017, 03:34:35 PM »

Are they really as Conservative as US Jews are Democratic? 
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 04:26:28 PM »

Under Miliband, it was a lot closer. They leaned Tory, but it was far from unanimous.

Under Corbyn, expect them to vote like US African-Americans. We've been here before. We know an existential threat when we see it.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 05:23:06 PM »

Survation poll of Jewish VI prior to 2017 GE (changes from similar poll prior to 2015 GE):

Con 77% (+8)
Lab 13% (-9)
Lib 7% (+5)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »

31 percent voted Labour in 2010.

http://www.brin.ac.uk/2010/political-leanings-of-britains-jews/
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 07:10:39 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2017, 07:29:20 PM by IceAgeComing »

Under Miliband, it was a lot closer. They leaned Tory, but it was far from unanimous.

Under Corbyn, expect them to vote like US African-Americans. We've been here before. We know an existential threat when we see it.

The thing is; they quite clearly didn't.  You look at the places that have reasonably large Jewish populations (mostly in London) and although they are distinct from London in terms of the swing to Labour being quite a bit less than the London average; there was still a swing to Labour.  If there was some monolithic shift away from Labour amongst the Jewish community: the size of the community in those few seats should have caused a swing to the Tories but that did not happen.

e: Probably the big example is Hendon: 17% Jewish; Labour/Tory marginal seat (since it was recreated in 1997, its been a bellwether).  In 2017; there was a 2.7% swing from the Conservatives to Labour in the seat; which can't possibly have happened if the Jewish vote was as monolithically Conservative in 2017.  I assume that it probably swung towards the Tories; but less than the poll below suggests (from what I recall; it was taken a couple of weeks before polling day, when the overall polls swung quite strongly towards Labour).  The same thing happened in Finchley and Golders Green as well: 21.1% Jewish: bellwether since 1997: 4% swing from the Tories to Labour.  Both seats were below the London average or even what you see in other seats around (Chipping Barnet had a 6.9% swing to Labour and the Tories only just held it; that seat has never been won by Labour) and the Jewish vote most likely saved both for the Tories - but it isn't as monolithic as you suggest.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 08:04:46 PM »

The thing is; they quite clearly didn't.  You look at the places that have reasonably large Jewish populations (mostly in London) and although they are distinct from London in terms of the swing to Labour being quite a bit less than the London average; there was still a swing to Labour.  If there was some monolithic shift away from Labour amongst the Jewish community: the size of the community in those few seats should have caused a swing to the Tories but that did not happen.

e: Probably the big example is Hendon: 17% Jewish; Labour/Tory marginal seat (since it was recreated in 1997, its been a bellwether).  In 2017; there was a 2.7% swing from the Conservatives to Labour in the seat; which can't possibly have happened if the Jewish vote was as monolithically Conservative in 2017. I assume that it probably swung towards the Tories; but less than the poll below suggests (from what I recall; it was taken a couple of weeks before polling day, when the overall polls swung quite strongly towards Labour).  The same thing happened in Finchley and Golders Green as well: 21.1% Jewish: bellwether since 1997: 4% swing from the Tories to Labour.  Both seats were below the London average or even what you see in other seats around (Chipping Barnet had a 6.9% swing to Labour and the Tories only just held it; that seat has never been won by Labour) and the Jewish vote most likely saved both for the Tories - but it isn't as monolithic as you suggest.

FWIW the VI at the time of the poll above (which helpfully was the most accurate pollster) was Con 43%, Lab 37% and Lib 8%.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 08:59:51 PM »

Survation poll of Jewish VI prior to 2017 GE (changes from similar poll prior to 2015 GE):

Con 77% (+8)
Lab 13% (-9)
Lib 7% (+5)

I've got to wonder how representative that poll was - or was it basically just the so-called "Jewishly engaged."

Another to keep in mind is that a rather high percentage of British Jews (of which 2/3 are in or around London) are Orthodox. 

Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 03:39:01 AM »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/07/can-jeremy-corbyns-labour-win-back-jewish-vote

Used to be strongly Labour, since the 90's there was a shift and its now mostly Tory with some  20% I reckon voting Labour. Interestingly, the LibDem never had any sway for Jewish voters (in any formation) and as a fellow Tottenham supporter once told (Jew living in Hertfordshire) they are by far the most antisemitic party
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 07:26:08 AM »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/07/can-jeremy-corbyns-labour-win-back-jewish-vote

Used to be strongly Labour, since the 90's there was a shift and its now mostly Tory with some  20% I reckon voting Labour. Interestingly, the LibDem never had any sway for Jewish voters (in any formation) and as a fellow Tottenham supporter once told (Jew living in Hertfordshire) they are by far the most antisemitic party

The LibDems? How?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 07:39:25 AM »

Well there was David Ward but he was effectively expelled from the party.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 07:51:04 AM »

Well there was David Ward but he was effectively expelled from the party.

Jenny Tonge is another, although she has also, albeit much too late, been expelled from the party.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 08:18:02 AM »

Interestingly, the LibDem never had any sway for Jewish voters (in any formation) and as a fellow Tottenham supporter once told (Jew living in Hertfordshire) they are by far the most antisemitic party

Huh. That's... interesting.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »

The LibDems? How?
They had quite a lot of Pakistani politicians with controversial, so to say, statements. And well it may be false but there is that feeling of the old antisemitism of the British establishment dating back to the Liberal party with their relationship with the community. A lot of rural Liberal strongholds also had few to no Jews at all, those are places where talks of the Rotschilds' influence and such can still be heard.   
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 09:29:58 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2017, 09:32:14 AM by Adam T »

They take their ballot and mark it with an 'X'  Cheesy (Sorry)

Edit to add: and then they put their ballot in the ballot box.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 11:24:02 AM »

Thankfully, they vote Conservative.

And yea, LibDems are by far the worst British party for Jews and for supporters of Israel. Tim Farron was surprisingly Pro-Israel for a LibDem leader, but as we all know, he had many unconventional views for his party and that ultimately led to his exit as leader.

IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 12:21:30 PM »

e: Probably the big example is Hendon: 17% Jewish; Labour/Tory marginal seat (since it was recreated in 1997, its been a bellwether).  In 2017; there was a 2.7% swing from the Conservatives to Labour in the seat; which can't possibly have happened if the Jewish vote was as monolithically Conservative in 2017. I assume that it probably swung towards the Tories; but less than the poll below suggests (from what I recall; it was taken a couple of weeks before polling day, when the overall polls swung quite strongly towards Labour).  The same thing happened in Finchley and Golders Green as well: 21.1% Jewish: bellwether since 1997: 4% swing from the Tories to Labour.  Both seats were below the London average or even what you see in other seats around (Chipping Barnet had a 6.9% swing to Labour and the Tories only just held it; that seat has never been won by Labour) and the Jewish vote most likely saved both for the Tories - but it isn't as monolithic as you suggest.

FWIW the VI at the time of the poll above (which helpfully was the most accurate pollster) was Con 43%, Lab 37% and Lib 8%.

That'll have been about right, considering that's a Survation which was always (correctly) better for Labour and I was thinking of the other polls at the time.

Less swing that I would have thought though.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 05:23:08 AM »

How did Jews vote on Brexit?
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 07:40:56 AM »

Based on some of the London results you'd have to assume that it was a really quite strong Remain vote.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »

If I'm remembering right, the Haredi communities voted quite strongly to remain, as a lot of them get married to Haredim in other European countries (notably Antwerp).

Most non-Haredi jews are middle class Londoners, which was a very strong remain demographic.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »

British isolationist rhetoric doesn't go well with Jewish voters. Labour or Tory I think the Jewish vote went >90% remain
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 01:53:50 PM »

British isolationist rhetoric doesn't go well with Jewish voters. Labour or Tory I think the Jewish vote went >90% remain
I'd be surprised if the figure were that skewed, though I'd buy 75% or so.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 01:54:13 PM »

You'd think the Liberal Democrats given its generally socially liberal and pro-EU position would be more appealing to British Jews.  I didn't realize they were thought to be the most anti-Israel party.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 03:05:12 PM »

Europe was not really a huge issue for most pro-EU people until 2017 - and even then not big enough to lead the average person to vote for the most pro-Europe party - not to mention the Jewish community and a party with a record on anti-semitism like the Liberals have (Labour is criticised for this and it's fair to an extent, but even then it's nothing compared to the Libs).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies