Bye, bye Ernie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:23:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Bye, bye Ernie
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bye, bye Ernie  (Read 4412 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2005, 04:16:30 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Governor-Subpoenaed.html
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 04:17:58 AM »

Reminds me a little of Cologne.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 04:30:57 AM »

Ouch.  Bye, indeed.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 05:38:15 AM »

Whats does this now mean will happen?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 09:58:16 AM »

Depends on who/what gets indicted.  Remember subpoena does not equal indictment.

If anything, it keeps the scandal in the public eye, that's all.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 10:12:57 AM »

Depends on who/what gets indicted.  Remember subpoena does not equal indictment.

Had been think that it'll be best if this drags on Fletcher is left to struggle all the way till 2007 Smiley
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 09:15:48 AM »

Lets see if there is really anything to this.

As you know, there is a persecutor in Texas who believes it is a crime to be a Republican, and has persecuted many on absurd grounds.  When a real court gets involved (as opposed to his pack of moronic grand jurors) it typically gets tossed out as basesless.

Also, there was another persecutor in New York who got a collection of morons there to persecute a Regan Cabinet member on absurd allegations.  Naturally, when a real court got involved, the victim of the slimebag persecutor was exonerated.

Unfortunately, this happens all too often.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 09:40:44 AM »

Lets see if there is really anything to this.

Oh there's something to it all right; the scandel has been dragging on and getting worse for months (one guy in Fletcher's administration has actually said that while he did what he was accused of doing he didn't see anything wrong in it and argued that doing what he did (ie; nepotism and patronage) was a constitutional right).
Even if Fletcher himself doesn't get indicted, the damage done to him personally, his administration and the Kentucky GOP is so severe that he's politically dead.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 10:11:01 AM »

I wonder what bandit has to say.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 10:29:08 AM »

Well, that's good news for us, isn't it?  That, coupled with the fact that Jim Bunning appeared to be mentally unsound in the Senate race last year, means that Democrats could have a chance in Kentucky if they tried.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 11:05:14 AM »

Well, that's good news for us, isn't it?

Certainly. Note that the KY GOP line on this is to scream that it's a conspiracy then launch personal attacks on Attn. General Stumbo and the state's Newspapers. In otherwords, blind panic.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He only won due to high Fundamentalist Catholic turnout in Northern Kentucky... now if the national Dems had given Mongiardo as much support as they wasted on certain other Southern Democratic candidates he'd have won by a small but decent margin.

Definately. Kentucky has an extermely volatile electorate and a fair few competative House seats. The State Senate might be worth a watch as well; the GOP leadership there has been under fire for acting in a somewhat despotic way over a disputed election result; one state senator left the party and became an Independent.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 11:38:18 AM »

Certainly. Note that the KY GOP line on this is to scream that it's a conspiracy then launch personal attacks on Attn. General Stumbo and the state's Newspapers. In otherwords, blind panic.

Such a tried and true method. 
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 03:10:57 PM »

means that Democrats could have a chance in Kentucky if they tried.

Definately. Kentucky has an extermely volatile electorate and a fair few competative House seats. The State Senate might be worth a watch as well; the GOP leadership there has been under fire for acting in a somewhat despotic way over a disputed election result; one state senator left the party and became an Independent.

Is Chandler looking to make another Gubernatorial run or is he pretty much settled in in congress these days?

Apart from Chandler, who else might be the Dem candidate for Governor in 2007, interestingly I seem to remember that Gov. Barbour (R-MS) is also not doing too well and is also up for re-election in 07, any chance that Mike Moore is giving the race some thought, especially if Lott runs for re-election?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 03:25:33 PM »

Is Chandler looking to make another Gubernatorial run or is he pretty much settled in in congress these days?

He'll probably stay in Congress; a lot of other Democrats are interested in running for Governer and I don't think anyone wants a divisive primary.
The KY Dems took a big swing to the right earlier this year, btw.

Possible candidates include Mongiardo, Stumbo, Miller and Luallen

Moore would be the obvious candidate
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 03:32:00 PM »

Where does he fall on the political spectrum?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 03:49:42 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2005, 03:53:58 PM by Justice Ben. »

Blue Dawg Dem, former Attorney General and still very popular in Mississippi.

I just hope he'd be interested... maybe i should look into starting a draft Moore website? anyone interested? 
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 03:58:29 PM »

I just hope he'd be interested... maybe i should look into starting a draft Moore website? anyone interested? 

Great idea!  I'd be interested in helping out.  This guy sounds like just what we need in Mississippi.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 01:22:34 AM »
« Edited: August 17, 2005, 02:53:31 AM by Justice Ben. »

Great idea!  I'd be interested in helping out.  This guy sounds like just what we need in Mississippi.

I'll give it some thought, see what i can russel up... probably give it a while, 2007 is a long way away at the moment Smiley
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 04:54:11 AM »

He only won due to high Fundamentalist Catholic turnout in Northern Kentucky... now if the national Dems had given Mongiardo as much support as they wasted on certain other Southern Democratic candidates he'd have won by a small but decent margin.

If people get fed up with nepotism, corruption, and play-for-olay politics, maybe they'll be tired of old Mitch McConnell as well... could a Dem possibly slay that dragon?

Sumbo isn't going to be hurt by the investigation is he?  It might make him look to partisan...

Personally, I'd like to see Chandler run for the Bunning seat when it opens up/he runs again.  I fear, however, that Northup is in line for that chair as well and I think she'd be unbeatable in a statewide race (provided she makes it through the Republican primary)... but we're getting a litte ahead of ourselves with such idle speculation...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 05:27:35 AM »

If people get fed up with nepotism, corruption, and play-for-olay politics, maybe they'll be tired of old Mitch McConnell as well... could a Dem possibly slay that dragon?

Hard to tell. He's not very popular but he brings money back to the state (enough to keep his approval ratings decent).

Probably not; remember he managed to get elected to Att. General after his messy personal life became well known. If the label "deadbeat dad" didn't hurt him, this certainly won't.

And providing she gets re-elected

Grin
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 07:28:36 AM »

Hard to tell. He's not very popular but he brings money back to the state (enough to keep his approval ratings decent).

Probably not; remember he managed to get elected to Att. General after his messy personal life became well known. If the label "deadbeat dad" didn't hurt him, this certainly won't.

And providing she gets re-elected

Grin

I'm inclined to agree that Sen. McConnell is kept in office by the pork factor.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 09:45:30 AM »

Any idea if Harry'd be interested?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005, 09:08:58 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2005, 09:22:23 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

Al,

Your source, the NY Times hasn't had a lot of credibility for years.

To those nutcases (without any semblance of ethics) everyone to the right of Kerry must be persecuted and they will print anything negative about such persons without total disregard for the truth.

If you want to see a Governor, and yes a supposed Republican who IS probably guilty of malfeasance in office, look to Ohio.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 09:12:10 PM »

Al,

To those nutcases (without any semblance of ethics) everyone to the right of Kerry must be persecuted and they will print anything negative about such persons without total disregard for the truth.

If you want to see a Govenor, and yes a supposed Republican who IS probably guilty of malfeasance in office, look to Ohio.

All curropt pioliticans should go down. You seem to think it's ok as long as they're right-wing.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2005, 09:16:45 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2005, 09:23:06 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

Al,

If you want to see a Govenor, and yes a supposed Republican who IS probably guilty of malfeasance in office, look to Ohio.

All curropt pioliticans should go down. You seem to think it's ok as long as they're right-wing.

You still cann't understand a rather clear post.

To the comrads at the NY Slimes, anyone to the right is 'guilty' of some crime or other and they print baseless charges relying on Sullivan.

There is no credible evidence against the Governor of Kentucky, while there does appear to be credible evidence against the Govenor of Ohio.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies