Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:10:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?
Yes

No

Sometimes

Much worse if you support Trump

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 101

Author Topic: Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas?  (Read 7864 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 12:19:45 PM »

It's not the blue avatar in itself. Being a fiscally conservative socially liberal RINO isn't hard -- but being a social conservative can be, being a nationalist can be, and being a Trump supporter can be. That said, there are still so many more viewpoints represented and (in particular) accepted here than on AAD. Though I stick around at both places so ultimately I don't care much.

I don't feel like copying this into the irony thread, but did you just call a "fiscally conservative socially liberal" Republican a "RINO" while you're just rocking the equally "unRepublican," inverse of that political orientation?  You're no less of a RINO than I am.
I'm not even talking about myself, as I am not a Republican (not an American), not necessarily a Trump supporter and not particularly socially conservative in the American sense of the word; I simply recognize that it isn't always easy for people like RFayette and TJ. I do wonder, however, why you feel offended by the idea of "fiscal conservatives, social liberals" being RINOs... while calling yourself a RINO.

If someone calls you something enough, sometimes you jokingly and sarcastically go along with it ... hence, my username. Smiley  I personally don't think the words "RINO" and "DINO" can be intellectually used 99% of the time.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »

It's not hard to be a conservative here if you simply don't care about whether or not leftists like you.

If you have principles, you won't be afraid to express your more controversial beliefs.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »

If someone calls you something enough, sometimes you jokingly and sarcastically go along with it ... hence, my username. Smiley  I personally don't think the words "RINO" and "DINO" can be intellectually used 99% of the time.
Or maybe they have a point...
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 12:29:19 PM »

What would the point be?  The term "RINO" is so inexplicably stupid their point is bound to be, also.  "Republican In Name Only" can be reasonably inferred to mean someone who calls themselves a Republican or might be reigstered that way but doesn't vote for Republican politicians or support views that are in the Republican platform.  I do both of those things more often than not, and about as equally as you, judging by your past comments, Mr. Kentucky DIMUHCRAT.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2017, 01:23:50 PM by Cath »

If someone calls you something enough, sometimes you jokingly and sarcastically go along with it ... hence, my username. Smiley  I personally don't think the words "RINO" and "DINO" can be intellectually used 99% of the time.

What would the point be?  The term "RINO" is so inexplicably stupid their point is bound to be, also.  "Republican In Name Only" can be reasonably inferred to mean someone who calls themselves a Republican or might be reigstered that way but doesn't vote for Republican politicians or support views that are in the Republican platform.  I do both of those things more often than not, and about as equally as you, judging by your past comments, Mr. Kentucky DIMUHCRAT.

Guys, guys, guys, c'mon. I think it would help if we take a page from Our Dear President and accept that the GOP can be nationalist and globalist.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 01:04:08 PM »

I think an even better question to ask here is whether this forum should work to make itself more welcoming to Republicans, Trump supporters, and social conservatives. That doesn't mean abandon any of your beliefs, but rather work on eliminating the vitriol. Should Atlas try to have that kind of diversity of views or not?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 01:42:37 PM »

I think an even better question to ask here is whether this forum should work to make itself more welcoming to Republicans, Trump supporters, and social conservatives. That doesn't mean abandon any of your beliefs, but rather work on eliminating the vitriol. Should Atlas try to have that kind of diversity of views or not?

Um, let's face the ugly truth here... attracting more Trump supporters would objectively lower the overall standard of this forum and make it a more annoying (/less pleasant) place. Because Trump supporters are on average less objective, less intellectually curious, and more obnoxious compared to the overall population.

I'm not saying that you wouldn't have exactly the same effect if you were to invite 25 Jill Stein hacks to Atlas. But unfortunately, Trump supporters are much more frequent than Stein supporters, even if they can be equally dumb.

Which leaves the Trumpers who are already here: Well, since they are already here, they should be at least tolerated. Most of them, anyway. Thomas Jackson and EnglishPete should have been banned a long time ago IMO. On the other hand, TheSaint250 isn't that bad and should be treated with respect. The rest falls somewhere in-between these extremes.

As far as NeverTrumpers and Republicans who are more or less critical of Trump are concerned... fine, bring more of them in.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 02:10:53 PM »

Um, let's face the ugly truth here... attracting more Trump supporters would objectively lower the overall standard of this forum and make it a more annoying (/less pleasant) place. Because Trump supporters are on average less objective, less intellectually curious, and more obnoxious compared to the overall population.

Your opinion of the general population must be higher than mine...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 04:33:06 PM »

Your opinion of the general population must be higher than mine...

It really isn't, but there's always someone who's worse!!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 05:21:45 PM »

Being a Republican on Atlas isn't hard; members like Badger and TD are pretty well liked and respected. For example, TD and I disagree on a lot of issues, but I respect him and appreciate his contributions here; same with Badger. However, being a Trump supporter or a social/cultural conservative does seem considerably more challenging. The forum is disproportionately secular and liberal, which results in a rather widespread hostility towards Trump's brand of politics and socially conservative viewpoints. It doesn't help that most (but not all) of those contributors here are walking stereotypes.
Honestly, I'm always surprised by our number of religious people.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 05:47:45 PM »

I should point out I'm probably socially conservative, opposing Obergefell v. Hodges (2015) on the grounds the states should have decided it, staunchly pro-life, pro-gun rights, and have expressed support for the Catholic Church, along with free trade. If you read my viewpoints in individual politics, they are Reaganite. I also have expressed discomfort with Social Security, which is probably more far right than anyone here on the point. People like to overlook that I voted for Santorum, for instance.

I've never had problems with the left here because of my emphasis. If I went out of my way to needle Jacobin and the like, I imagine he would find it uncomfortable. Trump supporters would - as I've said - find it easier to exist here if they argued on a intellectually honest framework. You believe in cultural conservatism? OK, then, tell us why x and y is great for America.  

I think the real bias is (and I'm afraid I share it) is against the cultural conservatives who make it their calling card to agitate against essentially, liberal democracy and to argue for a culturally nationalist viewpoint.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2017, 06:17:25 PM »

Trump supporters are some mix of stupidity and evil and as a result of his ascendance Republicans who are not evil or dumb have tended to disassociate themselves from the party. The ones that are left aren't very popular for obvious reasons.

The forum attracts relatively young, tolerant and educated people compared to the general population so that doesn't help either.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2017, 06:26:03 PM »

Yes.  For some of them it's deserved.  For many though, like Saint, it's pure HATE.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »

Actually Trump has made it easier to be a social conservative on here, because now the angst is mainly directed against someone else. I will admit, reading the Atlas Forum makes me start to root for Trump, as do a lot of NeverTrump Republicans. I guess we've entered the era where locking me in a room with passionate supporters of either side of the 2016 election might have been able to convince me to vote for the opposite one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2017, 09:20:29 PM »

Being a Republican on Atlas isn't hard; members like Badger and TD are pretty well liked and respected. For example, TD and I disagree on a lot of issues, but I respect him and appreciate his contributions here; same with Badger. However, being a Trump supporter or a social/cultural conservative does seem considerably more challenging. The forum is disproportionately secular and liberal, which results in a rather widespread hostility towards Trump's brand of politics and socially conservative viewpoints. It doesn't help that most (but not all) of those contributors here are walking stereotypes.

what about me , you guys seem to dislike me and I am a Never Trump Republican.

I can only speak for myself, but I don't have any issue with you. Most members here seem to debate you, rather than treat you with disdain like they do Sanchez and others. We just disagree with you a lot, which is fine and healthy, since you represent an opposing ideological viewpoint.

There are some T***p supporters I have far more respect for than I do for Beep Boop.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2017, 09:42:40 PM »

If you believe in your convictions and believe you are being sincere in your beliefs than you have nothing to worry about and should continue contributing your views to the discourse.

This goes for anyone of any ideology.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2017, 10:47:39 PM »

Although certainly I can't speak to the experience of being a Republican on Atlas, and hence did not vote on the poll, I know how easy it is for an individual on Atlas to experience Internet bullying and negative comments simply because of one's political avatar....

I have actually had many more negative experiences from Democratic avatars, simply because of my opinions during the 2016 Democratic Primary, than from most Republican Avatars on Atlas.

When it comes to politics, sometimes passions run high during election season (And beyond), and I hope that in my words and actions have helped make Atlas a more welcoming place, and the key point is to separate one own's individual political opinions and recognize that although one might disagree with the opinions of posters from different perspectives, that really 95% of the posters on the site are actually pretty decent people, and actually have a much better grasp on all of the stuff we love to debate and discuss than just about anywhere else.....

I sincerely hope that many of the fine Republican posters on this Forum don't feel that it is simply an "Echo Chamber" of the Democratic Party.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2017, 10:13:06 AM »

Actually Trump has made it easier to be a social conservative on here, because now the angst is mainly directed against someone else. I will admit, reading the Atlas Forum makes me start to root for Trump, as do a lot of NeverTrump Republicans. I guess we've entered the era where locking me in a room with passionate supporters of either side of the 2016 election might have been able to convince me to vote for the opposite one.
Seeing how angry Trump made the oppressors turned a lot of people into Trump supporters.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2017, 10:53:48 AM »

The barrage of negative threads and half truths/lies are annoying. Not so much the posters putting them up though. Atlas is my online home so it can't be too bad obviously.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2017, 12:08:22 PM »

If the last few hours tells us anything, with reality striking people across the head like a concrete slab with little effect then yes, I can see why it must be hard for them.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2017, 03:47:18 PM »

I think it depends on how comfortable people are with their opinion being in the minority. Also, I imagine being a hardcore conservative who likes Trump is harder than being a #NeverTrump moderate Republican around here.

Yeah, some users might not take disagreements as well as they should, but I'd hardly call this forum hostile to conservatives. During the Democratic primary, I was definitely in the minority as a Sanders supporter, but I didn't really feel like it was "hard" to express my opinion, as most users didn't give me too much of a hard time, though a couple of users in particular weren't exactly friendly.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2017, 03:59:12 PM »

It's hard to be on Atlas, for anyone.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2017, 05:07:59 PM »

No, I don't care if people don't like my politics. No one is obligated to like my politics. I feel that I get along with most posters here despite some of my unpopular policy views.

I've never felt victimized or demonized for being a Republican by any serious poster.

This has been my general experience as well
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »

Judging by the responses to Reaganfan's opinion, yes

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=268503.msg5736604#msg5736604
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2017, 08:31:36 PM »

That's because Reaganfan is a troll who goes out of his way to agitate the other side. His ways are the complete opposite of people like TD who put in much time, effort, and respect to communicate and debate. Also, he has made extremely bigoted and racist statements in the past.

Is it hard to be a Republican on Atlas? I don't know. But is it hard to be a racist troll on Atlas? It should be.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies