Haley: Trump told Putin 'we know you did it, and cut it out'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:09:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Haley: Trump told Putin 'we know you did it, and cut it out'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Haley: Trump told Putin 'we know you did it, and cut it out'  (Read 889 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:51:36 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/09/haley-trump-told-putin-we-know-you-did-it-and-cut-it-out-240329

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Only posting this because after years of hearing people make fun of Obama and Clinton for asking people to "cut it out," now the shoe is finally on the other foot. Or should I say, the glove is on the other tiny, tiny hand.

Also, what is with Haley having a growing record of contradicting Trump (maybe not in this instance, but others)? Is that even sustainable?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:55:30 PM »

If true why doesn't Trump say that?
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 11:59:56 PM »

Wow so he told them to cut it out...what a strong leader...
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 12:03:26 AM »

what would you suggest we do? Go to war? We're already in a cyberwar against this country and the sanctions remain debilitating. What more can we do?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 12:10:50 AM »

what would you suggest we do? Go to war? We're already in a cyberwar against this country and the sanctions remain debilitating. What more can we do?

Have a President who stands up against Russia's aggression? Y'know, actively working with Europe to address Russian aggression? Work wtih our state and local officials to protect 2018 and 2020 elections?

You fully well know there is a ton of things to do.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 12:13:40 AM »

Good take ModerateVAVoter!

Have a President who stands up against Russia's aggression? Y'know, actively working with Europe to address Russian aggression? Work wtih our state and local officials to protect 2018 and 2020 elections?

You fully well know there is a ton of things to do.

At the very least, not come out of a meeting with the leader of the country that attacked our elections and start praising him, taking his word over our intelligence agencies and say you want to start a "cybersecurity unit" with the people that hacked us.

I mean my god, I still can't get over how embarrassing that is. What are we, a Soviet Satellite State? How can Republican officials stomach this man?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 12:18:17 AM »

Haley can't be fired. She's a popular establishment GOPer who Trump needs more than she needs him. She's his validator as far as keeping some neocons on board. Therefore, she has a free microphone. It's why she keeps going off message and Trump does nothing.

Basically, Trump's enduring weakness as President (no pop vote mandate, horrific approval ratings, no natural DC constituency) puts him in a position to rely on the establishment far more than a normal President. So people like Haley basically use him and say whatever they want. It's hilarious, Trump has to endure regular statements of denunciations and open dissent from GOP Senators and Congresscritters and members of his own administration so he can maintain the semblance of power he has.

Oh, I hear you say, "BUT THE PRESIDENT IS SO POWERFUL!"  Only if people go along with him and only if he hasn't alienated the intelligence community (whoops 1x), the foreign policy community and party hands (whoops 2x), and has a strong wellspring of support from Congress (whoops 3x). If he's isolated and is regularly distanced from and told x and y, and has no experience, guess what the outcome is?

It is, in a word, glorious. In his own words, it is a "crippled presidency."

So, in any other administration, Haley would be fired. But she knows that she won't be fired and she will use Trump to advance her own Presidential or Vice Presidential ambitions. It's why she took the job. She had no intentions of being loyal to the President and every intention of using him to advance her goals. Which, not coincidentally, is the exact same thing the rest of the GOP Congress and administration is doing.

I approve wholeheartedly of Haley. Also I'm hoisting a Haley for President 2024 sign.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 01:14:15 AM »

Assist states with creating reliable paper voting systems that don't directly use electronics. Have intel and law enforcement (and the government in general) more concerned with security than surveillance, even if it's inconvenient for them. Educate the public in critical thinking skills. (Which would doom the GOP and not do the Dem establishment any favors either.) Have Pence and Trump admit their election was compromised and both resign in favor of President Ryan.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 01:17:16 AM »

Also, what is with Haley having a growing record of contradicting Trump (maybe not in this instance, but others)? Is that even sustainable?

She's done this a number of times. At points, it seems like she's basically freelancing at the UN.

My guess is she took this position to gain some foreign policy experience to set herself up for a future presidential run. She probably has her own doubts about the Trump experiment, so by doing this, she can have it both ways: she stays in the position (I doubt Trump would fire her), yet continues to separate herself from the administration. It doesn't hurt when she gets bipartisan cover like this.

If Trump does fire her? If he does end up going down in flames, she becomes a martyr of sorts.

Personally, I've assumed that Haley going off-message was more the result of the WH being too incompetent to coordinate things with her, or that they just don't care, rather than any deliberate flouting of the offical line on her part.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 01:59:09 AM »

Literally exactly what Hillary said to Wall Street. How'd that work out for her?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 04:08:12 AM »

Great, alternative facts from Nikki Haley.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 06:58:09 PM »

Just like when Nixon met Mao.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 07:46:32 AM »

If Trump actually did say that, then kudos to him.

It contradicts what Trump himself has revealed about their meeting; but I've learned you can't believe anything he says, so....maybe Haley's version is the right one.

Trump standing up to Putin is exactly what I want, so if this really happened then I am pleased with the president.  I think that's the first time I've said that about anything so far during his administration.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies