When did Fremont become such a Labor bastion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:02:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  When did Fremont become such a Labor bastion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: When did Fremont become such a Labor bastion?  (Read 2058 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2017, 01:54:04 AM »
« edited: July 10, 2017, 06:20:30 AM by MT Treasurer »

When I joined here (February/March 2015), the region used to be quite competitive and Federalists were able to win several Senate races in Fremont, IIRC. Obviously, that has changed during the President Griffin era, no?

What happened? Tongue

(I believe I already asked LLR about this, but I'm still interested in hearing some other answers)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 03:30:31 AM »

It's not and it never was.
AAZ lost by 2 votes, that is hardly a blanching.

That was a strange race to be honest, some leftwingers voted for AAZ and some federalists voted unexpectedly for  Alpha
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 05:58:48 AM »

Well, I don't recall it ever being as Democratic in registration and representation as it is today. Were there any voter registration efforts by Labor?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 06:03:59 AM »

Well, I don't recall it ever being as Democratic in registration and representation as it is today. Were there any voter registration efforts by Labor?
I recruited Kal in the game and Blair moved here.
Except that I didbn't have the time to recruit other people as it's not a long time I decided to be back in the game.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 06:05:38 AM »

When I joined here (February/March 2015), the region used to be quite competitive and Federalists were able to win several Senate races in Fremont, IIRC. Obviously, that has changed during the President Griffin era, no?

What happened? Tongue

(I believe I already asked LLR about this, but I'm still interested in hearing some other answers)

Actually we were more competitive coming out of the "President Griffin" era than we were going into it. The main problem in 2015 was that we lacked a solid base and candidates, but beginning in early 2016, Federalists won both the Midwest and Pacific Senate seats and post reset, won both Fremont Senate seats.

The problem began late last year when Griffin surprised Goldwater with his last minute write-in bid. The Feds have struggled to catch up, but managed a comeback when Ted got elected as Senator.

We also lost Ted and Lumine and both Blair and Kalwejt moved into the region. That would have flipped the result right there.

It has serious consequences, because with only 3 regions, it is very easy for the left to end up dominating the Senate and historically conservatives seem almost be genetics to exert their energies finding a reason to not vote for a fellow conservative for whatever reason.

This is nothing new either. There are similar parallels to the October 2013 Senate race. Therein you had a centrist candidate running against a Laborite, and two centrist voters voted for Labor. The end result was that policies coming out of the Senate were very left-wing that term ($20 minimum wage, several close calls at nationalizing of industry etc etc).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:08:23 AM »

Except that I didbn't have the time to recruit other people as it's not a long time I decided to be back in the game.

I miss the days when strategic registration literally destroyed your reputation and ruined your career in Atlasia. That is a genie that Adam took out the bottle and we have never put back since.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 06:12:05 AM »

I miss the days when strategic registration literally destroyed your reputation and ruined your career in Atlasia. That is a genie that Adam took out the bottle and we have never put back since.
Strategic registration never "destroyed" my political career in fact it helped me to be reelected when I was facing scandals.

Anyway, it's funny after all these years nothing has changed! I'm the only one who assumed of doing that when every others do that too.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 06:14:20 AM »

Strategic registration never "destroyed" my political career in fact it helped me to be reelected when I was facing scandals.

Anyway, it's funny after all these years nothing has changed! I'm the only one who assumed of doing that when every others do that too.

Sorry, I didn't mean "your" as in "your" but "your" as in a generic person doing x.

I am talking about a time way before you came about. And had you done that in 2010, you would have been ruined. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 06:17:34 AM »

Also I most point out that there is an error in the topic. It should read "Labor" bastion.

The Democratic Party has not existed in Atlasia since like 2006.

In terms of RL Democrats registered in Atlasia, such is a hardly a meaningful guide. We have members of our leadership team who are RL Democrats (or at least Democratic Voters), and AZ himself is in that group as well.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 07:46:19 AM »

Labor has always been disproportionately effective at winning senate races
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 08:28:24 AM »

Looking at regisration numbers the fact you have so many Feds in the South and clear Labor pluralities in the other two regions does make it look like the South is a Federalist vote sink, in a broader sense.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 09:27:13 AM »

Looking at regisration numbers the fact you have so many Feds in the South and clear Labor pluralities in the other two regions does make it look like the South is a Federalist vote sink, in a broader sense.

That is only a recent development though. Labor actually led us in the South a few months ago.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 09:43:13 AM »

That is only a recent development though. Labor actually led us in the South a few months ago.
Yeah, agreed.
I guess what the real question is, how long does this last.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2017, 10:05:24 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

That is because it is far easier for Labor to unify a block equaling 51% in a head to head race then it is for us to unify people from 3 different quadrants as well as many moderates behind a single candidate to achieve the same result.

On the flip side, the right generally has won 2/3rds of the At-Large generation elections since December 2013 (10 wins: Dec 2013, April 2014, Aug 2014, Aug 2015, Dec 2015, April 2016, June 2016, Feb 2017, April 2017, and June 2017; and 5 Loses: Dec 2014, April 2015, Aug 2016, Oct 2016, and Dec 2016).

Prior to Dec 2013, The right only won a majority of At-Large seats in December 2011 and April 2012. The JCP was especially dominant in At-Large elections. Yet the RPP was not much better at winning Regional Senate seats. Aside from the occasionally pay dirt in the Midwest and NE, the only regular Senate seats were the IDS and the Mideast, and former only held up because I was especially good at producing landslide victories in my younger days and getting leftwing votes to vote for me against libertarian challengers. The Mideast also would fall whenever HappyWarrior ran there. The JCP owned the Pacific, the loony left as it was called dominated the Midwest, often leading to a JCPer being elected there though not always since this was the epicenter of the "anti-bgwah left", and once Napoleon came on the scene, the JCP came to dominate the NE after years of centrist and then Populares libertarian domination.

After the Parties dissolved, the Liberals inherited JCP strength in the NE and Pacific. Labor was basically born in the Midwest, The Whigs had most of their strength in the Mideast and a coalition of Whig-Imperial Bloc (for all intents and purposes led by Emperor PiT) dominated the South. Labor's attempt at taking over the IDS with Cottonfield and the defeat of the Whigs at the hands of a Centrist+Liberal coalition created the situation that led to the merger that formed the Federalist Party. The Liberals declined and Labor took over the Pacific and Northeast, leading to a 3-2 Split in Regional Senate seats from Oct 2013 onwards.

The Federalists did better at holding the Mideast Senate seat than the RPP did (July 2013-November 2014, though Spiral technically held it for one term as a DR, he was elected as a Fed and voted with us on most things), and from December 2013 onwards did better with At-Large. This produced several 5-5 Senates, which had the consequence of making Duke's last term just bloody awesome for the right (though horribly unappreciated) and making Jambles' time as Vice President a living nightmare. This dynamic broke when Jambles hijacked the Mideast.

Things got a little crazy over the next year because first the Feds, then Labor took a swan dive an then bounced back. But in the lead up to consolidation, the right gained strength in the Pacific and Midwest, regained its position in the south and Labor solidified its hold in the NE and Mideast. This produced the dynamic at consolidation of Lincoln being solid Labor, South solid Fed and Fremont Lean Fed/Tossup.

But to IndyRep's point for someone who was here pre-2015, and especially from 2006-2014, the typical expectation was a JCP landslide in the Pacific, a Liberal landslide in the Pacific and then a Laborite landslide in the Pacific. Only with Windjammer moving to take over the Mideast and the TPP largely abandoning the Pacific for the South, did the Pacific become an opportunity for the right, first with CR and then with the Feds.

With three larger regions, it means the threshold of non-Labor unification is higher and the necessary candidate to win region wide is therefore required to be much more skilled. Just a month ago, Labor controlled all three regional executive branches.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 09:49:27 AM »

Yeah, agreed.
I guess what the real question is, how long does this last.

"Now I have been very nice to Marco, because he hasn't attacked me yet. When he does... you'll see what happens!

You'll See What Happens!

(eyes glowing) YOU'll SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!"
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 10:02:01 AM »

When I moved there my power was so strong the entire region fell in line with me (yeah obviously not true I'm probably the only Laborite to lose a regional election there in recent memory but that's not important)

But we have seen most of the major Laborites in the region be carpetbaggers: Me, Truman, and Griffin all moved to Fremont to try to save it or something
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 10:58:56 AM »

That is because it is far easier for Labor to unify a block equaling 51% in a head to head race then it is for us to unify people from 3 different quadrants as well as many moderates behind a single candidate to achieve the same result.

On the flip side, the right generally has won 2/3rds of the At-Large generation elections since December 2013 (10 wins: Dec 2013, April 2014, Aug 2014, Aug 2015, Dec 2015, April 2016, June 2016, Feb 2017, April 2017, and June 2017; and 5 Loses: Dec 2014, April 2015, Aug 2016, Oct 2016, and Dec 2016).

Prior to Dec 2013, The right only won a majority of At-Large seats in December 2011 and April 2012. The JCP was especially dominant in At-Large elections. Yet the RPP was not much better at winning Regional Senate seats. Aside from the occasionally pay dirt in the Midwest and NE, the only regular Senate seats were the IDS and the Mideast, and former only held up because I was especially good at producing landslide victories in my younger days and getting leftwing votes to vote for me against libertarian challengers. The Mideast also would fall whenever HappyWarrior ran there. The JCP owned the Pacific, the loony left as it was called dominated the Midwest, often leading to a JCPer being elected there though not always since this was the epicenter of the "anti-bgwah left", and once Napoleon came on the scene, the JCP came to dominate the NE after years of centrist and then Populares libertarian domination.

After the Parties dissolved, the Liberals inherited JCP strength in the NE and Pacific. Labor was basically born in the Midwest, The Whigs had most of their strength in the Mideast and a coalition of Whig-Imperial Bloc (for all intents and purposes led by Emperor PiT) dominated the South. Labor's attempt at taking over the IDS with Cottonfield and the defeat of the Whigs at the hands of a Centrist+Liberal coalition created the situation that led to the merger that formed the Federalist Party. The Liberals declined and Labor took over the Pacific and Northeast, leading to a 3-2 Split in Regional Senate seats from Oct 2013 onwards.

The Federalists did better at holding the Mideast Senate seat than the RPP did (July 2013-November 2014, though Spiral technically held it for one term as a DR, he was elected as a Fed and voted with us on most things), and from December 2013 onwards did better with At-Large. This produced several 5-5 Senates, which had the consequence of making Duke's last term just bloody awesome for the right (though horribly unappreciated) and making Jambles' time as Vice President a living nightmare. This dynamic broke when Jambles hijacked the Mideast.

Things got a little crazy over the next year because first the Feds, then Labor took a swan dive an then bounced back. But in the lead up to consolidation, the right gained strength in the Pacific and Midwest, regained its position in the south and Labor solidified its hold in the NE and Mideast. This produced the dynamic at consolidation of Lincoln being solid Labor, South solid Fed and Fremont Lean Fed/Tossup.

But to IndyRep's point for someone who was here pre-2015, and especially from 2006-2014, the typical expectation was a JCP landslide in the Pacific, a Liberal landslide in the Pacific and then a Laborite landslide in the Pacific. Only with Windjammer moving to take over the Mideast and the TPP largely abandoning the Pacific for the South, did the Pacific become an opportunity for the right, first with CR and then with the Feds.

With three larger regions, it means the threshold of non-Labor unification is higher and the necessary candidate to win region wide is therefore required to be much more skilled. Just a month ago, Labor controlled all three regional executive branches.
For the record as I believe I have to say something Tongue,

The goal of Labor during the Griffin-Jambles has always been to control 6/10 seats or 5/10+VP in the senate. 3 or 2 in the at large, 3 in the regions. Considering we lost for ever any hopes of controlling the Pacific, I chose to invade it was seen by me as a bigger opportunity because there were many socially moderate fiscally progressive players (Miles, hifly) and that the right was in crisis following Riley Keaton's term as governor that really destroyed the right. So I smelt blood and I invaded Tongue.

For the record, it Should be noted that I would have won regardless the election even without all these carpetbaggers.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 11:35:13 AM »

So I smelt blood and I invaded Tongue.

For the record, it Should be noted that I would have won regardless the election even without all these carpetbaggers.

The centipede is a predator...

Yes, but you would have got like 45% in the first round and won on second pref Motley defections and exhausted votes. As it was you won 55% - 24% - 21%
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »

Yes, but you would have got like 45% in the first round and won on second pref Motley defections and exhausted votes. As it was you won 55% - 24% - 21%
Of course I don't deny that, but a win in a win Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 11:40:05 AM »

The greatest asset Labor has ever had the benefit of, is stupidity on the part of the right.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »

The greatest asset Labor has ever had the benefit of, is stupidity on the part of the right.
I totally agree. I would have never tried to do that if Riley Keaton didn't  screw up as  he did as governor and if the LRs weren't so hostile against the feds.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 11:48:22 AM »

Considering we lost for ever any hopes of controlling the Pacific

This is what I don't get.

Pacific had never been a Labor bastion until just a year prior when Tyrion won Sbane's open Senate seat. Labor did very well, producing something out of nothing, yet August 2014 meant that "Forever and ever" control of the region had been lost? It always seemed more like a matter of taste.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 11:50:44 AM »

Considering we lost for ever any hopes of controlling the Pacific

This is what I don't get.

Pacific had never been a Labor bastion until just a year prior when Tyrion won Sbane's open Senate seat. Labor did very well, producing something out of nothing, yet August 2014 meant that "Forever and ever" control of the region had been lost? It always seemed more like a matter of taste.

There was so many IRC members in PA---> oakvale controlled---> TPP controlled
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »

I totally agree. I would have never tried to do that if Riley Keaton didn't  screw up as  he did as governor and if the LRs weren't so hostile against the feds.

I was referring more to the lack of cross preferencing, but it can apply in other areas as well.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 06:34:09 PM »

It's a complicated region. I would argue that it's kind of like Florida with the parties reversed -- a Federalist starts out at a deficit, but there are clear paths to victory based upon different parts of the Labor coalition that can be cut into by certain candidates.

IIRC my victory was centered around high Fed turnout, and winning lots of center and center-left independents, but it's been a while Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies