When did Fremont become such a Labor bastion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:42:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  When did Fremont become such a Labor bastion?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: When did Fremont become such a Labor bastion?  (Read 2039 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 08:13:02 AM »

Meh...glancing at the voter rolls, this election appears to have played out exactly as they would suggest. This election was between two candidates who didn't necessarily command authority or possess gravitas within their respective Atlasian hemispheres prior to the election, so there was no inherent advantage either way. It came down to GOTV. Very few can match Dear Sweet Jambles at that.

The Pacific/Fremont has historically had a substantial left-of-center partisan registration advantage (whether that be Labor alone or Labor + other parties) over the Federalists on paper, but that doesn't tell the full story. The region has often also had a rather large cache of "independents" who lean heavily to the right. Imagine a 50-40 split in favor of Laborites over Federalists, with the remaining 10 percent voting 3:1 for conservatives.

But yes, the region has pretty consistently favored Labor/Labor-allied politicians (with the occasional exception) ever since Rimjob liberated the region from the Liberal Party's deflated zombie army back in 2013. When Fremont was created last year by effectively merging the Pacific and the Midwest, nothing really changed because the Midwest basically looked just like the Pacific at the time (though historically the former was a bit more leftist and a bit more Labor). The advantage has been pretty consistent but not usually very large or completely insurmountable under the right conditions.

Referring back to my first paragraph...when the Right runs somebody who has the right relationships/authority status and they're facing off against somebody who doesn't possess that on the Left, then they can potentially win. That's how you can get a Senator Ted or a Senator Lumine (RIP). Otherwise, as long as somebody on the Left is running GOTV, it's theirs to lose. This is why Barnes beat Wulfric by more than would have been expected (plus Wulfric's broader forum persona probably didn't help). Nevertheless, I'd actually argue that Wulfric would be a better candidate in a vacuum than AZ, but AZ was able to perform better than him (i.e. how a "Generic Anti-Labor" candidate would perform) because he was running against somebody who's relatively brand new.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 08:24:36 AM »

OMG

Did Adam just mention Lumine without being negative about him?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »

OMG

I was going to edit it a couple of minutes later to say "(RIP you bald bastards)" but I really hate edit timestamps.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »

OMG

I was going to edit it a couple of minutes later to say "(RIP you bald bastards)" but I really hate edit timestamps.

Sure you were, Griffin, sure you were. Tongue
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 04:28:29 PM »

A lot of old "radicals" have moved to Lincoln recently
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 04:59:50 PM »

IIRC Fremont voted over 70% for Leinad in the June election, but swung to a hefty margin for Blair in October. Just goes to show how much GOTV and recruitment can affect results in this game, I suppose
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2017, 01:31:35 AM »

It's not and it never was.
AAZ lost by 2 votes, that is hardly a blanching.

Well, I don't recall it ever being as Democratic in registration and representation as it is today. Were there any voter registration efforts by Labor?
I recruited Kal in the game and Blair moved here.
Except that I didbn't have the time to recruit other people as it's not a long time I decided to be back in the game.

I miss the days when strategic registration literally destroyed your reputation and ruined your career in Atlasia. That is a genie that Adam took out the bottle and we have never put back since.

Hear, hear. In my day it was a bastion of the Right, whether in The People's Party or the Feds, and I'm sad to see that change...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2017, 03:43:29 AM »

IIRC Fremont voted over 70% for Leinad in the June election, but swung to a hefty margin for Blair in October. Just goes to show how much GOTV and recruitment can affect results in this game, I suppose

I always knew that I needed to win in Fremont, as my dominance in North would at best cancel out the support for Yankee in the South.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2017, 07:32:37 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2017, 07:35:42 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

I always knew that I needed to win in Fremont, as my dominance in North would at best cancel out the support for Yankee in the South.

Southern
NC Yankee 23  68%  Blair/Kingpoleon 11 32%

Fremont
Yankee/Rpryor  19 50%  Blair/Kingpoleon 13  34%  Xahar/Bacon King 6 16%

Lincoln
Blair/Kingpoleon 24 60% NC Yankee/Rpryor 14 35%  Xahar/Bacon King 2 5%

South: Yankee + 12
Fremont: Tied
Lincoln: Blair + 12

Ya don goofed!

For the record my targets were 70%-51%-40% And if any two of them had fallen short I would have still won, provided at least one had been met.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2017, 03:59:57 PM »

It's not and it never was.
AAZ lost by 2 votes, that is hardly a blanching.

Well, I don't recall it ever being as Democratic in registration and representation as it is today. Were there any voter registration efforts by Labor?
I recruited Kal in the game and Blair moved here.
Except that I didbn't have the time to recruit other people as it's not a long time I decided to be back in the game.

I miss the days when strategic registration literally destroyed your reputation and ruined your career in Atlasia. That is a genie that Adam took out the bottle and we have never put back since.

Hear, hear. In my day it was a bastion of the Right, whether in The People's Party or the Feds, and I'm sad to see that change...

You do realize "your day", included the tail end of JCP dominance, the Liberal machine, Labor/NMAMist coalition domination, and that takes you through August 2014. Tongue

Labor collapsed in the Pacific (leading to Windjammer taking over the Mideast) and so forth. The problem was while Labor lost its Pacific Senate seat, it was not a benefit for the right. TheCranberry was just as far left in TPP as he was in Labor and TPP elected him from the region in October 2014 and Feb 2015. Not to mention both TPP Senators elected in December 2014, were on the left of the spectrum. So you had Labor elected from NE, ME and MW, and a leftwing TPPer from the Pacific. In At-Large, you had 2 Laborites and 2 Leftwing TPPers. That left me and Cris facing an 8-2 left v. right Senate.

This meant that virtually every single politician elected to Senate or Governor by TPP post August 2014 was on the left. You were the only exception as Governor of the Pacific, and that was entirely because of who you were close with and not what you were, Simfan.

The Pacific only started to become a bastion for the right in July 2015. Labor stripped mined it to facilitate Jambles invasion eight months prior, two months prior many of the TPPers moved to try and prevent Hagrid from losing to PiT in the south.

Two CRs moved into the region to provide the balance of power against the District proposal in the ratification booth in April. I encouraged Lumine to moved to the region as early as March 2015, but he had a move restriction until like mid July. There was a concerted effort to concentrate the right on the South and Pacific, with CR taking the lead there and Labor even expressed disgust at "our" lack of progress in the Pacific and Adam threatened to reinvade the region if we didn't manage to wrestle it for the right from TPP.

Only once Turkisblau (another left of center TPPer) was elected as Regional Senator and resigned, did the Pacific Senate seat finally go to a CR (Lumine), who I believe you appointed.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2017, 04:02:27 PM »

Oh yes, that was a long time ago but I did all I could to convince the right to invade the PA as I believe it would serve my interests and their interests. How disappointed I was by how slow they were.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies