The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:46:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Poll
Question: Are colleges good for bad for the US?
Good (D/lean D)

Good (R/lean R)

Bad (D/lean D)

Bad (R/lean R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows  (Read 8916 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2017, 01:19:55 PM »

I'm sure they do. Most people find out in college that America is a white supremacist patriarchal society designed to cater to the rich and demonize the poor and the non-white.

America is clearly  less racist than Europe, and this is exactly why I thonk activist and victimhood majors are terrible.

Um.... America is still racist. Discussing the fact that the prison system is a for profit industry that encourages the criminalization of blacks and Latinos is not victimhood. It's the truth. Sorry discussing the brutal truth about this country hurts white, Conservative snowflakes who think the only victimized group in the country are white Christians and gun owners.

Yah no

I don't think there are any victim groups in this country and anyone who claims to be one is dumb . The justice system is not  racist, it's just that in the 1970s-early 1990s you had a Massive Crime Wave in the country which led to tough on crime laws in the late 80s and in the 1990s.

Every country is racist in someway and America is probably one of the LEAST racist countries right now .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »

It totally depends on the program and degree  in my opinion

Many of the liberal arts degree for example I believe are bad for the country (gender,racial , religious studies for example ).

Me taking RELS 3755 On the Divine was bad for the country!? Gimme an effing break.

I'm not talking about people who just take a couple classes in those areas ,I'm talking about doing your  major related to that . I clearly said doing  degrees in those subjects are bad for the country not taking a couple classes in that area.

But... bad for the country?

yes as many of the degree make people SJW and that is terrible for the country.

Ah, religion, the province of the left. This of course ignores history, literature, philosophy...

History is one of the good liberal arts programs (along with history and philosophy)

History, history, and philosophy, you say?

And English
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2017, 01:46:26 PM »

I'm sure they do. Most people find out in college that America is a white supremacist patriarchal society designed to cater to the rich and demonize the poor and the non-white.

America is clearly  less racist than Europe, and this is exactly why I thonk activist and victimhood majors are terrible.

Um.... America is still racist. Discussing the fact that the prison system is a for profit industry that encourages the criminalization of blacks and Latinos is not victimhood. It's the truth. Sorry discussing the brutal truth about this country hurts white, Conservative snowflakes who think the only victimized group in the country are white Christians and gun owners.

Yah no

I don't think there are any victim groups in this country and anyone who claims to be one is dumb . The justice system is not  racist, it's just that in the 1970s-early 1990s you had a Massive Crime Wave in the country which led to tough on crime laws in the late 80s and in the 1990s.

Every country is racist in someway and America is probably one of the LEAST racist countries right now .

Crime has been in secular decline in the last 50 years. Its not that America is even particularly that racist but racism causes more problems in a country where the majority is 65% the populatuon rather than 85% the population.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2017, 02:24:37 PM by Old School Republican »

America is clearly  less racist than Europe, and this is exactly why I thonk activist and victimhood majors are terrible.

Yah no

Crime has been in secular decline in the last 50 years last 20 years. Its not that America is even particularly that racist but racism causes more problems in a country where the majority is 65% the populatuon rather than 85% the population.

FTFY

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2017, 02:33:37 PM »

America is clearly  less racist than Europe, and this is exactly why I thonk activist and victimhood majors are terrible.

Yah no

Sorry. Your post is complete fiction.

This country was founded on white supremacy. (have you never heard of the Manifest Destiny) and that racism has ingrained itself into all of the country's major institutions. The justice system being one of them. Look no further than Jeff Sessions to see what the goal is for many of the right when they discuss "Law and Order".

But I guess my white liberal History professors only taught us this because of "muh white guilt".
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »

Yah no

This country was founded on white supremacy. (have you never heard of the Manifest Destiny) and that racism has ingrained itself into all of the country's major institutions. The justice system being one of them. Look I further than Jeff Sessions to see what the goal is for many of the right when they discuss "Law and Order".

But I guess my white liberal History professors only taught us this because of "muh white guilt".

thats true buts its not like that anymore.

And anyway Sessions is racist, but Law and Order is not racist
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: July 12, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »

Yah no

This country was founded on white supremacy. (have you never heard of the Manifest Destiny) and that racism has ingrained itself into all of the country's major institutions. The justice system being one of them. Look I further than Jeff Sessions to see what the goal is for many of the right when they discuss "Law and Order".

thats true buts its not like that anymore.

And anyway Sessions is racist, but Law and Order is not racist
Fair enough. I guess we can Agree to disagree and all that lol
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2017, 02:40:27 PM »

It totally depends on the program and degree  in my opinion

Many of the liberal arts degree for example I believe are bad for the country (gender,racial , religious studies for example ).

Me taking RELS 3755 On the Divine was bad for the country!? Gimme an effing break.

I'm not talking about people who just take a couple classes in those areas ,I'm talking about doing your  major related to that . I clearly said doing  degrees in those subjects are bad for the country not taking a couple classes in that area.

Ah, religion, the province of the left. This of course ignores history, literature, philosophy...

History is one of the good liberal arts programs (along with history and philosophy)

History, history, and philosophy, you say?

And English

Well thank god our authority on what valuable liberal arts degrees are can barely string together a coherent sentence and ideology. We're saved.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »

It totally depends on the program and degree  in my opinion

I'm not talking about people who just take a couple classes in those areas ,I'm talking about doing your  major related to that . I clearly said doing  degrees in those subjects are bad for the country not taking a couple classes in that area.

I agree, people getting exposed to ideas other than your own is clearly terrible for the country.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2017, 02:59:59 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2017, 03:02:40 PM by Old School Republican »

I'm not talking about people who just take a couple classes in those areas ,I'm talking about doing your  major related to that . I clearly said doing  degrees in those subjects are bad for the country not taking a couple classes in that area.

I agree, people getting exposed to ideas other than your own is clearly terrible for the country.

College should be a place to equip students with  the tools you need in the job market (jobs which pay more then 50k a year ) and not have all these useless majors like gender studies and other activist degrees.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2017, 03:21:20 PM »

College should be a place to equip students with  the tools you need in the job market (jobs which pay more then 50k a year ) and not have all these useless majors like gender studies and other activist degrees.

That's not what college is. For thousands of years, universities have engaged in scholarly inquiry within the confines of human knowledge, constantly pushing boundaries for breakthroughs in the hopes of advancing our understanding of our surroundings, innovating, and problem solving unknown phenomena.

This goes far beyond creating work drones over a certain pay threshold. The contribution that all of this programs is not only central to what universities are, but also at the crux of a strong society. Your understanding of scholarly inquiry is woefully impoverished and simplified.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »

That's not what college is. For thousands of years, universities have engaged in scholarly inquiry within the confines of human knowledge, constantly pushing boundaries for breakthroughs in the hopes of advancing our understanding of our surroundings, innovating, and problem solving unknown phenomena.

This goes far beyond creating work drones over a certain pay threshold. The contribution that all of this programs is not only central to what universities are, but also at the crux of a strong society. Your understanding of scholarly inquiry is woefully impoverished and simplified.

If people are required to go to college to get jobs that pay more then 60k then college first priority should be to teach students skills to succeed in workforce .
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2017, 03:38:04 PM »

LOGIC:
Perverts could use the trans-gendered stuff to hurt people's safety in bathrooms.

Nice job using fear of something that pretty much never happens to justify your position.

LOGIC:
Guy points gun at cop, cop blows his head off

EMOTION:
IT WAS RACIST! TERRIBLE POLICE STATE.

You think that is what people are mad about? I guess you should be excused from that, since you have probably never been in a situation to actually understand what minorities go through when dealing with the criminal justice system. You've been sheltered from that. In that respect, your opinion here is worthless. You guys can keep fighting it, but the way things are going make it more likely than not that big changes are made at some point.

Just go away already. Haven't you done enough trolling and mindless ranting for today?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2017, 05:29:06 PM »

Beep F**king Boop.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2017, 06:23:29 PM »

LOGIC:
Perverts could use the trans-gendered stuff to hurt people's safety in bathrooms.

Nice job using fear of something that pretty much never happens to justify your position.

LOGIC:

EMOTION:

You think that is what people are mad about? I guess you should be excused from that, since you have probably never been in a situation to actually understand what minorities go through when dealing with the criminal justice system. You've been sheltered from that. In that respect, your opinion here is worthless. You guys can keep fighting it, but the way things are going make it more likely than not that big changes are made at some point.

Just go away already. Haven't you done enough trolling and mindless ranting for today?

I mean, it is logic. Just logic that is based on undeveloped premises or simply the wrong premises. Its like Walter trying to find a literal connection between the Dude's rug getting pissed on and Vietnam.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2017, 06:26:30 PM »

LOGIC:

LOGIC:
Rapists can apparently be stopped by bathroom signs.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2017, 06:32:18 PM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

For the record, leaving college for a year made me far more radical than going there.

Though that said, exposure to the sort of right/left liberals my college is famous for definitely helped.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »

LOGIC:

LOGIC:
A clear and unambiguous policy would at make the creeps obvious if they were in the wrong bathroom.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2017, 06:33:06 PM »

LOGIC:

LOGIC:
A clear and unambiguous policy would at make the creeps obvious if they were in the wrong bathroom.

Like laws against sexual assault?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2017, 06:35:19 PM »

LOGIC:

LOGIC:

Seeing someone who obviously doesn't belong somewhere should trigger an immediate reaction.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2017, 06:37:59 PM »

LOGIC:

LOGIC:

Seeing someone who obviously doesn't belong somewhere should trigger an immediate reaction.

You know... That justification has been used for a lot of things in history. You might want to consider retiring it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2017, 06:42:24 PM »

LOGIC:

LOGIC:

You know... That justification has been used for a lot of things in history. You might want to consider retiring it.
I'm just saying what most people think.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »

Republicans rely on faith,  Democrats rely on logic.

Who knew?

Oh please, Democrats use emotion over logic.

LOGIC:
Don't let anyone into America from countries with possible terror ties

EMOTION:
LET THEM IN YOU TERRIBLE PEOPLE!

No. Don't let people in with terrorist ties, no matter what the country of their origin. Refugees from terror-infested countries are very different from terrorists. We already have laws against allowing people who have committed crimes against humanity; a man who had been a secret police official in Communist-era Ethiopia (and whose hands were very dirty) was deported for such. Ethiopia is not a terrorist haven.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Put sexual abuser where they belong : prison. Tough luck about reduced life expectancy.

Pull a gun on a cop... and die. That's how it is expected to go.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2017, 07:41:05 PM »

This generalization of the issue just isn't true.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2017, 09:01:19 PM »

Republicans rely on faith,  Democrats rely on logic.

Who knew?

Oh please, Democrats use emotion over logic.

LOGIC:
Don't let anyone into America from countries with possible terror ties

EMOTION:
LET THEM IN YOU TERRIBLE PEOPLE!

LOGIC:

EMOTION:
LET THEM USE THE BATHROOM THEIR FEELINGS BOO HOO

LOGIC:

EMOTION:

Don't you even ing dare try and say that Democrats use "logic". They are over-emotional babies who care more about feelings than logic. They would sacrifice us to corn-gods if it meant they'd feel like they were helping "the greater good".

Ooh ooh, let me try!

LOGIC:
We should help our European and Middle Eastern allies with the refugee crisis. It would make us look like a responsible party in the crisis, while it will bolster our economy as the refugees start businesses and get jobs here while our native population ages. Yes, there's a small chance that terrorists can sneak in, but with proper vetting procedures, we can keep the risk to a minimum.

EMOTION:
KEEP THEM OUT THEY ARE ALL TERRORISTS! EVEN THE CHILDREN!

LOGIC:
Transgendered people want to live their daily lives, and an important part of daily life is using the bathroom. So the government shouldn't interfere with that, especially since sexual harassment by people going to the "wrong" bathroom in disguise practically never happens.

EMOTION:
EWW TRANNIES ARE WEIRD LET'S TELL THEM WHERE TO PEE!

LOGIC:
Studies have shown that black people, particularly black males, generally have worse relations with police than other races on a number of measures, whether it's how often they get ticketed for speeding or how likely it is for them to get shot and killed by police. We should implement proper reforms, including improving police training, to lessen this problem and improve relations between police and their communities.

EMOTION:
COPS ARE GODS! BLUE LIVES MATTER! BLM ARE TERRORISTS! EVEN THE CHILDREN!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies