The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:17:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are colleges good for bad for the US?
Good (D/lean D)

Good (R/lean R)

Bad (D/lean D)

Bad (R/lean R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows  (Read 8938 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: July 10, 2017, 07:20:00 PM »

It totally depends on the program and degree  in my opinion

Many of the liberal arts degree for example I believe are bad for the country (gender,racial , religious studies for example ).

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 07:51:40 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2017, 07:54:05 PM by Old School Republican »

Many of the liberal arts degree for example I believe are bad for the country (gender,racial , religious studies for example ).

Could more ironic words be said by a Business Major?

Accounting,Finance , Supply Chain Management are better for society than Actvist degrees.

Also I believe buisness is good for society, while having a socirty filled with SJW is  not

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:55:07 PM »

Many of the liberal arts degree for example I believe are bad for the country (gender,racial , religious studies for example).

What matters is that someone 22 years old comes out of college better than he was at age 18 -- with a broader view of reality, more intellectual openness, better at communications, being able to address ethical issues, and having better ways to find happiness. Truth be told, brilliant 18-22-year-olds are bulls in the china shop in business and industry; 18-22-year-old dullards are useful even if not very productive. The University has been the playground for bright young men so that they don't shake up the wrong things when they are most tempted to do so since the Middle Ages. Getting a little older and more intellectually-refined, no matter what the field, they are less likely to shake things up, whether in theology or in politics.

Republicans are now heavily the party of the white dullard, someone with a cr@ppy job and whose behavior off the job doesn't matter so long as he doesn't shake things up  (as with crime or drugs). So what if he vegetates on  an easy chair in front the Idiot Screen watching vapid sitcoms, reality programming, witless movies, or televised sports while getting fat on snacks and either sugary or alcoholic drinks? Maybe he will die of a fatal heart attack at age 46 -- after his children are in the workforce -- so that his Social Security contributions are forfeit. Such implies more funds for the educated elite, even if being elite means that one is 'merely' a schoolteacher or clergy.   

Sure, educated people would consider such a way of life little more attractive than a prison term -- but educated people are the ones making the good money. They will retire with a pension, some savings, and Social Security payments... and go traveling to Berlin, Bora-Bora, Buenos Aires, and Beijing as they always dreamed of doing because they are healthy in their seventies instead of having dropped dead while bigger than the average bear.       

Ask republicans about different programs and see their response

If you asked what's your opinion of computer science,engineering,medical ,Accounting/Finance , management programs I bet the answer is overwhelmingly positive.

But if you asked about liberal arts , activist , law  programs the answer will be overwhelmingly negative.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 11:45:43 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2017, 11:54:13 PM by Old School Republican »

Many of the liberal arts degree for example I believe are bad for the country (gender,racial , religious studies for example).

What matters is that someone 22 years old comes out of college better than he was at age 18 -- with a broader view of reality, more intellectual openness, better at communications, being able to address ethical issues, and having better ways to find happiness. Truth be told, brilliant 18-22-year-olds are bulls in the china shop in business and industry; 18-22-year-old dullards are useful even if not very productive. The University has been the playground for bright young men so that they don't shake up the wrong things when they are most tempted to do so since the Middle Ages. Getting a little older and more intellectually-refined, no matter what the field, they are less likely to shake things up, whether in theology or in politics.

Republicans are now heavily the party of the white dullard, someone with a cr@ppy job and whose behavior off the job doesn't matter so long as he doesn't shake things up  (as with crime or drugs). So what if he vegetates on  an easy chair in front the Idiot Screen watching vapid sitcoms, reality programming, witless movies, or televised sports while getting fat on snacks and either sugary or alcoholic drinks? Maybe he will die of a fatal heart attack at age 46 -- after his children are in the workforce -- so that his Social Security contributions are forfeit. Such implies more funds for the educated elite, even if being elite means that one is 'merely' a schoolteacher or clergy.  

Sure, educated people would consider such a way of life little more attractive than a prison term -- but educated people are the ones making the good money. They will retire with a pension, some savings, and Social Security payments... and go traveling to Berlin, Bora-Bora, Buenos Aires, and Beijing as they always dreamed of doing because they are healthy in their seventies instead of having dropped dead while bigger than the average bear.      

Ask republicans about different programs and see their response

If you asked what's your opinion of computer science,engineering,medical ,Accounting/Finance , management programs I bet the answer is overwhelmingly positive.

But if you asked about liberal arts , activist , law  programs the answer will be overwhelmingly negative.

But the arts are liberal arts, and they are extremely useful in creating prosperity. Much of our prosperity is the creation of intellectual property -- cinema, television, literature, graphic art, and music. If you have adequate dishware, might you go to the theater instead of buying new dishware? $60 spent on tickets to live theater is just as much a contribution of $60 for some dry goods. Such is a personal choice, something easier for some than for others.  

Activism? Maybe if one is a brilliant kid from the Reservation one can do more good returning to the Reservation and changing the emphasis of local education to better fit the culture.  I am reminded of a story in which urban street gangs got a toehold on a depressed Reservation and introduced foreign ways. I do not mean Mozart and Monet.

It was discovered that the kids with the strongest ties to the traditional culture were least likely to join those Los Angeles-based street gangs.  

Law is important. Ask any political scientist how important 'rule of law' is. Where the rule of law prevails, people have a chance. Where the rule is not of law, all Hell is possible.

...We have probably come to the end of the era in which people can simply accumulate more stuff and get happier. Do we need to produce more stuff except as replacement or to meet population growth?

Yes that's true ,but how many people who go into acting actully become a Hollywood actor , and it's true for many of the liberal arts degrees(except English and history ).

And I just listed law not cause it isn't important but because conservatives tend to dislike lawyers
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 02:32:23 AM »

Most republicans don't think getting a degree is bad .

The reason is ,this poll is completely misleading as what do you mean good for the US . If it was talking for an economical purpose, and non political purposes  I bet the case most republicans say it's  good .

Also  I believe  what many thought was is it good  for a political purpose are they good and seeing that Ben Shapiro of all the people was banned from speaking proves that in many cases they are not as that type of action worsenes the political nature in our country not improve it .

Lastly the poll was done by pew research a group that does polls about politics i wouldn't be surprised if most people assumed they were saying good in a political way .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 08:27:30 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2017, 08:32:33 PM by Old School Republican »

Me taking RELS 3755 On the Divine was bad for the country!? Gimme an effing break.

I'm not talking about people who just take a couple classes in those areas ,I'm talking about doing your  major related to that . I clearly said doing  degrees in those subjects are bad for the country not taking a couple classes in that area.

Also being a utilitarian when choosing a major is not a bad thing , as why would you major in something that doenst significantly improve your job prospects.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 08:47:54 PM »

Me taking RELS 3755 On the Divine was bad for the country!? Gimme an effing break.

I'm not talking about people who just take a couple classes in those areas ,I'm talking about doing your  major related to that . I clearly said doing  degrees in those subjects are bad for the country not taking a couple classes in that area.

But... bad for the country?

yes as many of the degree make people SJW and that is terrible for the country.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 09:59:42 PM »

I'm sure they do. Most people find out in college that America is a white supremacist patriarchal society designed to cater to the rich and demonize the poor and the non-white.

America is clearly  less racist than Europe, and this is exactly why I thonk activist and victimhood majors are terrible.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »

Ah, religion, the province of the left. This of course ignores history, literature, philosophy...

History is one of the good liberal arts programs (along with history and philosophy)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 01:19:55 PM »

I'm sure they do. Most people find out in college that America is a white supremacist patriarchal society designed to cater to the rich and demonize the poor and the non-white.

America is clearly  less racist than Europe, and this is exactly why I thonk activist and victimhood majors are terrible.

Um.... America is still racist. Discussing the fact that the prison system is a for profit industry that encourages the criminalization of blacks and Latinos is not victimhood. It's the truth. Sorry discussing the brutal truth about this country hurts white, Conservative snowflakes who think the only victimized group in the country are white Christians and gun owners.

Yah no

I don't think there are any victim groups in this country and anyone who claims to be one is dumb . The justice system is not  racist, it's just that in the 1970s-early 1990s you had a Massive Crime Wave in the country which led to tough on crime laws in the late 80s and in the 1990s.

Every country is racist in someway and America is probably one of the LEAST racist countries right now .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »

Ah, religion, the province of the left. This of course ignores history, literature, philosophy...

History is one of the good liberal arts programs (along with history and philosophy)

History, history, and philosophy, you say?

And English
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2017, 02:24:37 PM by Old School Republican »

America is clearly  less racist than Europe, and this is exactly why I thonk activist and victimhood majors are terrible.

Um.... America is still racist. Discussing the fact that the prison system is a for profit industry that encourages the criminalization of blacks and Latinos is not victimhood. It's the truth. Sorry discussing the brutal truth about this country hurts white, Conservative snowflakes who think the only victimized group in the country are white Christians and gun owners.

Yah no

I don't think there are any victim groups in this country and anyone who claims to be one is dumb . The justice system is not  racist, it's just that in the 1970s-early 1990s you had a Massive Crime Wave in the country which led to tough on crime laws in the late 80s and in the 1990s.

Every country is racist in someway and America is probably one of the LEAST racist countries right now .

Crime has been in secular decline in the last 50 years last 20 years. Its not that America is even particularly that racist but racism causes more problems in a country where the majority is 65% the populatuon rather than 85% the population.

FTFY

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »

Yah no

Sorry. Your post is complete fiction.

This country was founded on white supremacy. (have you never heard of the Manifest Destiny) and that racism has ingrained itself into all of the country's major institutions. The justice system being one of them. Look I further than Jeff Sessions to see what the goal is for many of the right when they discuss "Law and Order".

But I guess my white liberal History professors only taught us this because of "muh white guilt".

thats true buts its not like that anymore.

And anyway Sessions is racist, but Law and Order is not racist
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 02:59:59 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2017, 03:02:40 PM by Old School Republican »

I agree, people getting exposed to ideas other than your own is clearly terrible for the country.

College should be a place to equip students with  the tools you need in the job market (jobs which pay more then 50k a year ) and not have all these useless majors like gender studies and other activist degrees.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »

I agree, people getting exposed to ideas other than your own is clearly terrible for the country.

College should be a place to equip students with  the tools you need in the job market (jobs which pay more then 50k a year ) and not have all these useless majors like gender studies and other activist degrees.

That's not what college is. For thousands of years, universities have engaged in scholarly inquiry within the confines of human knowledge, constantly pushing boundaries for breakthroughs in the hopes of advancing our understanding of our surroundings, innovating, and problem solving unknown phenomena.

This goes far beyond creating work drones over a certain pay threshold. The contribution that all of this programs is not only central to what universities are, but also at the crux of a strong society. Your understanding of scholarly inquiry is woefully impoverished and simplified.

If people are required to go to college to get jobs that pay more then 60k then college first priority should be to teach students skills to succeed in workforce .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »

Looks like you cant refute what I said so your resorting to personal attacks
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2017, 08:03:39 PM »

33% of Republicans support labor unions? That's incredibly surprising, I thought that number would be somewhere around 5%.
White working class. Smiley

Do you?
Of course. I'm not a monster.

So you think thatcher and Walker are monsters
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies