The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:00:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are colleges good for bad for the US?
Good (D/lean D)

Good (R/lean R)

Bad (D/lean D)

Bad (R/lean R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: The Majority Of Republicans Think Colleges Are Bad For The U.S., Poll Shows  (Read 8964 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« on: July 10, 2017, 06:31:52 PM »

Disgusting culture of idiocracy; the ultimate dumbing down of our society signals an imminent collapse.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 03:21:20 PM »

It totally depends on the program and degree  in my opinion

Many of the liberal arts degree for example I believe are bad for the country (gender,racial , religious studies for example ).

Me taking RELS 3755 On the Divine was bad for the country!? Gimme an effing break.

I'm not talking about people who just take a couple classes in those areas ,I'm talking about doing your  major related to that . I clearly said doing  degrees in those subjects are bad for the country not taking a couple classes in that area.

But... bad for the country?

yes as many of the degree make people SJW and that is terrible for the country.
I agree, people getting exposed to ideas other than your own is clearly terrible for the country.

College should be a place to equip students with  the tools you need in the job market (jobs which pay more then 50k a year ) and not have all these useless majors like gender studies and other activist degrees.

That's not what college is. For thousands of years, universities have engaged in scholarly inquiry within the confines of human knowledge, constantly pushing boundaries for breakthroughs in the hopes of advancing our understanding of our surroundings, innovating, and problem solving unknown phenomena.

This goes far beyond creating work drones over a certain pay threshold. The contribution that all of this programs is not only central to what universities are, but also at the crux of a strong society. Your understanding of scholarly inquiry is woefully impoverished and simplified.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:20:39 PM »

We would be better off if all but the top tier of private schools disappeared overnight, at least. Doing without the rest would pose more challenges.

Admittedly, it is difficult to have an overly positive opinion of an institution that has reduced over 40 million adults in this country to peonage.

Moreover, we have people with master's degrees who can barely write coherent paragraphs, let alone manage complex projects. We have people with bachelor's degrees who are functionally illiterate.

These are abysmal results for an education system in which most of us spend close to two decades, that spends one quarter of a million dollars on the typical student who makes it through college, and to which millions of teachers and students dedicate themselves every year. Human sacrifice, it seems, is far from a thing of the past.

I don't know what degree holders you're referring to exactly, but your poor argument is a classic case of picking from the bottom of the barrel to represent the whole--if such people even exist, that is, at least within the context of graduates from reputable American institutions.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies