What bad things will happen if we accept non-binary people?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:09:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What bad things will happen if we accept non-binary people?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What bad things will happen if we accept non-binary people?  (Read 3094 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 11:28:49 PM »

Another issue though is the general silliness of this sort of thing just throws red meat to the altright and motivates them.

If you're throwing (a large portion of) trans people under the bus for the sake of not offending neo-Nazis, aren't you stooping to the level of neo-Nazis?

It's not the neo-Nazis, it's that they make a giant fuss out of this crap so they can portray a ridiculous and false image of "LOL STUPID SNOWFLAKE COLLEGE STUDENTS TRIGGERED" which is not only blatantly false (why don't you ever hear about this garbage at public schools?) but this garbage lets them feed on the image to recruit more apathetic people to be right wingers. Think of the people who said they were voting for Trump to "stick to political correctness LOLZ"

For that matter I've never heard of non-binary people at public schools either. Like at the University of Minnesota, a bunch of students protested Milo, not white people with dreadlocks or hoop earrings or eating Chinese food or using only he/she pronouns. What a concept!

Incidentally that's also why I don't believe it's a real thing. Why are there tons of openly gay middle aged working class people that don't fit the stereotype at all, but I never hear about "non-binary" people ANYWHERE except a select small amount of liberal arts colleges? Why did none exist at my liberal public school that had a huge LGB population?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 11:38:25 PM »

But these are actual human beings we are talking about, not political talking points. I'm not sure what the point is of making armchair sociological observations about where non-binary people exist, when it's much easier to just accept them as who they are. The harm done to them by not accepting them is far greater than the harm to society by upsetting Breitbart.

And stop bringing hoop earrings and dreadlocks into this; nobody in this thread mentioned them until you did.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 11:53:00 PM »

The harm done to society is it gets people to vote for people like Trump, and discredits the movements for actual trans people, as well as LGB, many of whom also the find the concept ridiculous and are very offended at being lumped in with them.

I mean look at Libertas, he's about as much of a raging flaming gay as it gets, yet he also complains on AAD about how he finds this to be an incredibly stupid concept and doesn't want gays lumped in with it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 12:28:32 AM »

...No one actually voted for Donald Trump over this thing.  Jesus.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 02:38:42 AM »

The harm done to society is it gets people to vote for people like Trump, and discredits the movements for actual trans people, as well as LGB, many of whom also the find the concept ridiculous and are very offended at being lumped in with them.

I mean look at Libertas, he's about as much of a raging flaming gay as it gets, yet he also complains on AAD about how he finds this to be an incredibly stupid concept and doesn't want gays lumped in with it.

As an actual binary trans woman, fuck you. People who have nonbinary gender identities deserve as much respect as anyone else, no matter how many LGB people (who have no more authority to talk about the TQ+ then straights anyhow) are assholes about it. You fuckers seem to get more angry about nonbinary people feeling safe then people being driven to suicide because society refuses to accept them for who they are.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2017, 02:41:21 AM »

The idea of having to specify your pronouns is really weird and awkward to me. If I ever am somewhere where people do that I'm going to walk out because that is too f[inks]ing awkward.

Also it'll be a victory for those intersectionalist weirdos and will empower them to actually fight and crack down on "cultural appropriation" and that sort of crap. Intersectionalism must be defeated.

Doesn't sound very liberal from Mr. "All Liberal, All the Time" Tongue

It basically means "all center left all the time". If you,haven't noticed I want any ideology and thinking to the left of me (like communism and edgy True Leftism) to be killed with fire just as much as I want that for ideology and thought to the right of me.

Oh yes, everyone who doesn't have your exact views obviously should be killed with fire.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2017, 02:43:58 AM »

They'll poison our water supply, burn our crops and deliver a plague unto our houses.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2017, 08:06:37 AM »

The idea of having to specify your pronouns is really weird and awkward to me. If I ever am somewhere where people do that I'm going to walk out because that is too f[inks]ing awkward.

Also it'll be a victory for those intersectionalist weirdos and will empower them to actually fight and crack down on "cultural appropriation" and that sort of crap. Intersectionalism must be defeated.

Doesn't sound very liberal from Mr. "All Liberal, All the Time" Tongue

It basically means "all center left all the time". If you,haven't noticed I want any ideology and thinking to the left of me (like communism and edgy True Leftism) to be killed with fire just as much as I want that for ideology and thought to the right of me.

Oh yes, everyone who doesn't have your exact views obviously should be killed with fire.

It's a meme dumbass, not a literal statement.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2017, 08:23:48 AM »

As an actual binary trans woman, fuck you. People who have nonbinary gender identities deserve as much respect as anyone else, no matter how many LGB people (who have no more authority to talk about the TQ+ then straights anyhow) are assholes about it. You fuckers seem to get more angry about nonbinary people feeling safe then people being driven to suicide because society refuses to accept them for who they are.

You're talking about acceptance and you once unironically posted THIS here: http://forsetti.tumblr.com/post/153181757500/on-rural-america-understanding-isnt-the-problem

But honestly I think this is what it all boils down to.

I
DON'T
WANT
TO
HAVE
TO
SPECIFY
MY
PRONOUNS.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2017, 08:39:57 AM »

Not specifically it, but the general railing against "identity politics" and all that. Someone here said the "Tumblrization" of the Democratic Party cost Hillary the election.

Do you want the 2020 nominee starting speeches by saying "my pronouns are..." and then talking about gender fluidity?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2017, 10:27:09 AM »

I
DON'T
WANT
TO
HAVE
TO
SPECIFY
MY
PRONOUNS.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2017, 10:38:07 AM »

I'm going to strongly disagree with this statement.

Obviously I support full equality for all orientations and gender identities, but backlash against "liberals gone wild" on college campuses absolutely contributed to Trump flipping WCW voters.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2017, 10:50:28 AM »

The point is that BRTD is, in his usual style, making way too big of a deal over this.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 12:02:10 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2017, 02:38:40 PM by Compassion Fills the Void »

The point is that BRTD is, in his usual style, making way too big of a deal over this.

And those lunatics on Tumblr who constantly rave about pronouns, post all sorts of anti cis ranting and compare people who won't have sex with a trans person to rapists aren't?
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2017, 01:58:05 PM »

You're talking about acceptance and you once unironically posted THIS here: http://forsetti.tumblr.com/post/153181757500/on-rural-america-understanding-isnt-the-problem

I
DON'T
WANT
TO
HAVE
TO
SPECIFY
MY
PRONOUNS.

That was a while ago, and not exactly a thought out posting. Whataboutery much?

Also good to know that you think nonbinary people not feeling like sh*t is less important then not having to specify your pronouns.

And those lunatics on Tumblr who constantly rave about pronouns, post all sorts of anti cud ranting and compare people who won't have sex with a trans person to rapists aren't?

No one is actually saying that. Refusing to have sex with someone because they're trans is kind of transphobic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2017, 02:33:34 PM »

I
DON'T
WANT
TO
HAVE
TO
SPECIFY
MY
PRONOUNS.

Also good to know that you think nonbinary people not feeling like sh*t is less important then not having to specify your pronouns.

Gully claiming that Hispanic is a separate race on the Census was awhile ago. That isn't.

As for the second point i don't believe they actually exist. If they did, they'd be as demographically diverse as LGB people, instead of being almost exclusively students at five figure a year private colleges and angsty teenagers on Tumblr and fanfic sites. I'll admit that some like Crabcake mentioned could be actual trans people afraid to transition or people gender confused like Scott was, who certainly are sympathetic but the ones who aren't are basically just screaming "I WANT TO BE DIFFERENT" and are the same crew as makeup wearing cismales in that garbage that I will never refer to as emo scene. So yes, some are sympathetic, but not what I'll call the "My Chemical Romance crowd".

Also having to specify pronouns would make me uncomfortable, and no doubt many others. So that's a bad thing that would occur.

And those lunatics on Tumblr who constantly rave about pronouns, post all sorts of anti cud ranting and compare people who won't have sex with a trans person to rapists aren't?

No one is actually saying that. Refusing to have sex with someone because they're trans is kind of transphobic.

And yeah, there's where I get really offended. Its so bigoted for a straight male to not want to have sex with someone with a penis. Roll Eyes That's like calling me homophobic for not wanting to have sex with cis males.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2017, 03:36:03 PM »

I have to say, I think I started a trend. I'm LOVING the Spongebob memes in this thread!
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2017, 04:03:01 PM »

Seems like BRTD is a bit triggered. Do you think we should get him to a safe space?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2017, 04:07:01 PM »

Nothing, besides a few more non-binary people talking non stop about their non binary identity.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »

I
DON'T
WANT
TO
HAVE
TO
SPECIFY
MY
PRONOUNS.

Gully claiming that Hispanic is a separate race on the Census was awhile ago. That isn't.

As for the second point i don't believe they actually exist. If they did, they'd be as demographically diverse as LGB people, instead of being almost exclusively students at five figure a year private colleges and angsty teenagers on Tumblr and fanfic sites. I'll admit that some like Crabcake mentioned could be actual trans people afraid to transition or people gender confused like Scott was, who certainly are sympathetic but the ones who aren't are basically just screaming "I WANT TO BE DIFFERENT" and are the same crew as makeup wearing cismales in that garbage that I will never refer to as emo scene. So yes, some are sympathetic, but not what I'll call the "My Chemical Romance crowd".

Also having to specify pronouns would make me uncomfortable, and no doubt many others. So that's a bad thing that would occur.

And yeah, there's where I get really offended. Its so bigoted for a straight male to not want to have sex with someone with a penis. Roll Eyes That's like calling me homophobic for not wanting to have sex with cis males.

How do you know that the only people that are this way are who you described? You're relying on stereotypes. And its pretty disgusting that all of this is basically because you don't want to specify pronouns.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2017, 04:11:17 PM »

Aren't we all non-binary other than beep boop?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2017, 04:18:42 PM »

BRTD, even though you're liberal, you're still a race and gender essentialist. Gender is a social construct, so it doesn't matter if the only non-binary people you know are angsty teenage tumblrinas. Their non-binariness is just as valid.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2017, 04:31:44 PM »

People identifying as "non-binary" is not a result of anything inherent in their physiology or psychology, it's a result of a culture which constantly tells people that being white, straight, and/or cisgendered is uncool and oppressive. People latch on to anything to be part of the other. They used to do it by saying they were part Native American but then that started to be mocked as an stereotypically White thing to do so they stopped. Being "non-binary" is the easiest way to other yourself without actually putting in much effort or changing your lifestyle much at all.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2017, 04:53:37 PM »

Seems like BRTD is a bit triggered. Do you think we should get him to a safe space?

To be honest I kind of am. I HATE anything that reminds me if that carp that I will not refer to as emo so much. I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT THAT F[INKS]ING GARBAGE RUINED THE TERM EMO. This is actually a pretty big deal to me, see the posts I wrote about it while that crap was in its heyday. And this is too similar to it.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2017, 05:20:37 PM »

Conservatives will feel like they can't recognize the "world they grew up in".

I grew up in the 2000s , and Im starting to feel like I cant recognize the world I grew up in culturally .
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies