What bad things will happen if we accept non-binary people?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:46:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What bad things will happen if we accept non-binary people?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What bad things will happen if we accept non-binary people?  (Read 3095 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2017, 07:18:58 PM »

No one is actually saying that. Refusing to have sex with someone because they're trans is kind of transphobic.

WTF?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2017, 07:21:30 PM »

Another bad thing is that gender becomes way too complicated and impossible to understand, case in point:

This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2017, 07:23:45 PM »

This is one of the best BRTD meltdowns yet tbh
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »

I need a drink after seeing that graphic.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »

Nothing, besides a few more non-binary people talking non stop about their non binary identity.

Actually, if society completely stops discriminating against non-binary people, it's very likely less non-binary people will be talking nonstop about their non-binary identity, just like someone who's a racial minority would think less about their race if they move to a place where they're a majority.

Meanwhile, In This Thread:

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2017, 08:17:46 PM »

Actually I can just flip this question around. What bad things will happen if we accept white people wearing dreadlocks or hoop earrings?

You can believe that no bad things will happen in either scenario; I do.

^
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2017, 08:28:42 PM »

This will happen:

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2017, 07:30:36 AM »

No one is actually saying that. Refusing to have sex with someone because they're trans is kind of transphobic.

Refusing to have sex with anyone for any reason is never anything bad.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2017, 07:45:56 AM »

Cross posting from the other place:

on the genderqueer issue I veer towards scepticism. It's not that I think these people are trendy snowflakes or whatever, I just think a lot of the time it's people who want to transition but (understandably) lack the courage, like when some gay people come out as bi as a halfway house so they can jump backwards if they get scared. Then again one of my favourite YouTubers apparently identifies as such, so eh.

This is definitely verging on one of the Great Issues Of Our Time (If You Live On Tumblr): the fierce debate between truscum (perjorative label for a trans person who considers gender dysphoria to be essential for considering one transgender) and tucutes (also perjorative term for those people who are perceived as inventing endless genders on a whim and don't feel dysphoric). My personal instinct is towards the former, because I think I think dysphoria is a problem that needs medical intervention that shouldn't get lost in a shuffle of people who only consider themselves a male on mondays to Thursdays, a female at weekends, neither on Fridays and both at full moon or whatever; which in some circles would make me a massive bigot.

But I don't see the phenomena as a huge problem or whatever. I think most people are able to live and let live.

As for the great debate about not sleeping with people if they're trans, well it's not transphobic if they're pre-op - people are allowed to have genital preferences, folks. If they're post-op, and you would have slept them not knowing about they're past, I guess you've got some transphobia knocking round your noggin, but it's hardly an urgent priority. As I've said before, perfectly passing transwomen post-ops getting slightly less action than they'd like is not the greatest issue in the world.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2017, 04:19:18 AM »

Nothing, besides a few more non-binary people talking non stop about their non binary identity.

Actually, if society completely stops discriminating against non-binary people, it's very likely less non-binary people will be talking nonstop about their non-binary identity, just like someone who's a racial minority would think less about their race if they move to a place where they're a majority.

There's some logic to this but I don't think it's necessarily true.

With the broader transgender movement, it started with a demand to recognize sex as different from gender. In the last couple years, pretty much all of liberal society including academia and the mainstream media moved to accept this.

The transgender movement didn't celebrate this victory though, instead, after the position they claimed to have wanted was embraced by the public, many of them started becoming even more radical. They demanded that  it be recognized that not only are sex and gender different, sex doesn't even exist. Many are now calling the acknowledgement of the biological categories of male and female bigoted.

and no, this is not just "a few people on Tumblr". Pretty much half the people I know in real life no subscribe to this position (or pretend to out of fear of being socially ostracized). It's being taught in school and it's been discussed in mainstream media (remember when Bill Nye said "sex is a spectrum"?)

That leads me to believe at least some of people who claim to be transgender (not all but at least some) and probably most of the people who claim to be "genderqueer" aren't actually interested in having society respect their innate nature.  Rather they just want to rebel against society. If society adopts their views, they will just adopt even more radical ones in reaction.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2017, 09:06:47 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2017, 12:01:46 PM by Compassion Fills the Void »

The hilarious thing is that if you accept that way of thinking then there is no such thing as trans people.

Or LGB people, for that matter.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies