Trump NY state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:27:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump NY state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump NY state  (Read 668 times)
jman123
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2017, 05:32:54 PM »

Why did Trump not do that relatively well in upstate NY while he did well downstate in the April Primaries in NY?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 05:36:20 PM »

Why did Trump not do that relatively well in upstate NY while he did well downstate in the April Primaries in NY?
Perhaps because these areas reflect the demographics for which Trump did well, or did not do well, nationally?

For example, Trump lost Manhattan worse than any Republican probably ever, but he did better in Staten Island than any Republican since 1988.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 11:13:21 PM »

He did quite well in upstate; he's the first Republican to carry Niagara County since 1984. Clinton won Erie County (home of Buffalo, NY) by 51-44, compared to Obama's 57-41 in 2012. Hillary also suffered in Franklin and St. Lawrence Counties (traditionally Democrat counties). Trump won St. Lawrence County 51-42, while Obama won it 57-41 in 2012.

So really, Trump did pretty well upstate.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 11:25:53 PM »

In the primaries he was running against Ted Cruz (who attacked New York values) and a midwesterner in Kasich.

In the GE he was running against a fellow New Yorker in Hillary Clinton.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 11:29:14 PM »

He was the first Republican to win upstate NY since 1988.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 12:20:49 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2017, 12:22:31 AM by TML »

Not quite.

According to the official certified results from NY State, if we were to take NYC out of the equation, Hillary would have won NY state by 66559 votes, or about 1.32%; if we go a step further and take Long Island out of the equation, she would have won NY state by 73049 votes, or about 1.97%.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 12:24:51 AM »

Not quite.

According to the official certified results from NY State, if we were to take NYC out of the equation, Hillary would have won NY state by 66559 votes, or about 1.32%; if we go a step further and take Long Island out of the equation, she would have won NY state by 73049 votes, or about 1.97%.

Huh. I thought upstate New York didn't include the suburbs. My coworker was confused on how to respond to me when I asked if he was from the city or upstate until I clarified with "the suburbs" and then he responded saying yeah.

TIL
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 12:29:29 AM »

My definition of Upstate NY is the entire state minus Rockland, Westchester, Long Island, and the five boroughs. But yeah, no official definition, it varies person to person, I guess.
LCSPopTart
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 07:38:13 AM »

My definition of Upstate NY is the entire state minus Rockland, Westchester, Long Island, and the five boroughs. But yeah, no official definition, it varies person to person, I guess.
Pretty much what i think, even though I'd also include Orange, Putnam, and Duchess counties.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies