Is there any evidence of Tim Scott losing/gaining votes because of his race?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:46:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is there any evidence of Tim Scott losing/gaining votes because of his race?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is there any evidence of Tim Scott losing/gaining votes because of his race?  (Read 1567 times)
Jesus save us
NJR
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2017, 01:38:23 AM »

Per the OP. Tim Scott is(obviously) black, and runs for election in SC of all ing places. Is there any evidence of White Republicans or Black Democrats defecting because of his race?
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 06:22:17 AM »

Scott's Democratic opponent and Clinton performed about the same in majority black counties, the difference was that Scott did a lot better than Trump in big counties like Charleston and Richland, meaning that quite a few white suburbanites likely voted for Clinton for president and Scott for the Senate.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »

Not that I've ever seen. My understanfing is the black community in SC liked and respects him, even if most of them don't vote for him
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 10:33:08 AM »

His Democratic opponents have both been black, FWIW.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »

He knocked off one of Strom Thurmond's relatives in the Republican Congressional primary for the Fort Sumter district, so any effect seems insignificant.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 11:34:06 PM »

No. He might have done a point or two better if the Democratic candidate had been White, but that's about it. Look at the exit polls, what Bosse said is basically true.

Also, FWIW, Isakson apparently did better among Black voters than Scott.

Barksdale vs. Dixon was probably the bigger factor there.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 08:48:34 PM »

In 3 out of his 4 elections (2010 for House and 2014/16 for Senate), his Democratic opponents have been black. He received 65% in 2010 and 62% in 2012, the only race where he has had a white opponent. However, I doubt the 3 point dropoff was because of race, but rather because the 2010 nominee was a perennial candidate who had ran for Congress 15 times. If he were to run against a white Democrat for Senate, I would say he wouldn't really lose or gain any votes, because whatever percent of the black vote he gains would be cancelled out by the percent of the racist vote he loses.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 11:02:26 PM »

Not that I've ever seen. My understanfing is the black community in SC liked and respects him, even if most of them don't vote for him

He still gets some flak from some people in the black community because they see him as a traitor for being Republican.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »

Scott's Democratic opponent and Clinton performed about the same in majority black counties, the difference was that Scott did a lot better than Trump in big counties like Charleston and Richland, meaning that quite a few white suburbanites likely voted for Clinton for president and Scott for the Senate.

I will note that white suburbanite ticket splitting was not exclusive to SC. It also happened in GA-6 with people voting Clinton/Price, the Philly suburbs with people voting Clinton/Toomey, Clinton/Dold voters in IL-10, Clinton/Comstock voters in VA-10, and I imagine other places as well.
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 06:19:36 PM »

I will note that white suburbanite ticket splitting was not exclusive to SC. It also happened in GA-6 with people voting Clinton/Price, the Philly suburbs with people voting Clinton/Toomey, Clinton/Dold voters in IL-10, Clinton/Comstock voters in VA-10, and I imagine other places as well.
in my home county of bucks toomey won the county but trump got more votes and lost by 1 point.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies