Opinion of "The Exorcist" (1973)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:52:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of "The Exorcist" (1973)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of "The Exorcist"
FM: One of the scariest movies ever made.

HM: Hokey claptrap that had me laughing the whole time

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Opinion of "The Exorcist" (1973)  (Read 340 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2017, 10:51:01 PM »

To some people, when you say "scariest movie ever", this is the movie they mention first.  To others, its a joke.

When it was first released, people were having heart attacks in the movie theater.

Personally i think its one hell of a great movie... its a classic.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:22:41 PM »

Loved it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 02:41:13 AM »

It's one of those movies that freaked me out so much when I was 12 that it still kind of freaks me out as an adult.  Amityville Horror does the same to me.  Modern horror doesn't have that same creepy feel 70s horror does.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 02:49:41 AM »

As Evil Dead would codify the next decade, comedy and horror needn't be mutually exclusive, nor is it so in this movie.

FM.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 03:47:20 AM »

FM. I remember seeing it when I was young (God knows why my otherwise very strict and protective parents let me watch it) and it freaked me out. When I see it now I'm not really scared by it anymore. It's still scarier than those movies like V/H/S which just are gory.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »

One of the scariest of all time, of course.

By the way, I happen to live about 2 miles from a certain house where  the exorcism that inspired the story took place. Roanoke Dr., in the village of Bel-nor is close by, and I recently drove down that street, stopped and asked a couple of guys who leave near the cul-de-sac which house is it; they pointed it out and said that there is a goth family who live there now.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 09:42:06 PM »

FM. I remember seeing it when I was young (God knows why my otherwise very strict and protective parents let me watch it) and it freaked me out. When I see it now I'm not really scared by it anymore. It's still scarier than those movies like V/H/S which just are gory.

Uh, seeing as how V/H/S is a compilation of shorts I don't see how you can make such a sweeping statement, and I can only think about of three or four shorts in the entire series that would be accurately described as "gory"...
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 09:45:37 PM »

I liked the movie a lot and did a paper on it in film class about the phenomenon around it in 73. Von Sydow put in a great performance. Some freaky insert shots. Mike Oldfeld's score is classic but not as indelible in horror as Carpenter's Halloween. The best scenes are not the bedroom scenes which due to skits Kentucky Fried Movie and all the spoof films there after it had become passé. Naturally it was not at the time.

Exorcist 3 is very good as well. George C Scott in particular. It wisely ignored Exorcist 2.

Exorcist II is bunk but so bad it's good. Linda Blair in hypnosis by Richard Burton. Amazingly they had scenes in Iraq of all places - that part was probably scarier than the rest of the film.

Nowadays I view The Omen as more disturbing and visceral. And closer to Hammer/giallo in its elaborate death sequences. Classic 70's downbeat ending perhaps only Electra Glide in Blue is more cynical in the decade's styling. Plus Goldsmith's score is stunner - Ave Satani

progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 04:19:27 AM »

I liked the movie a lot and did a paper on it in film class about the phenomenon around it in 73. Von Sydow put in a great performance. Some freaky insert shots. Mike Oldfeld's score is classic but not as indelible in horror as Carpenter's Halloween. The best scenes are not the bedroom scenes which due to skits Kentucky Fried Movie and all the spoof films there after it had become passé. Naturally it was not at the time.

Exorcist 3 is very good as well. George C Scott in particular. It wisely ignored Exorcist 2.

Exorcist II is bunk but so bad it's good. Linda Blair in hypnosis by Richard Burton. Amazingly they had scenes in Iraq of all places - that part was probably scarier than the rest of the film.

Nowadays I view The Omen as more disturbing and visceral. And closer to Hammer/giallo in its elaborate death sequences. Classic 70's downbeat ending perhaps only Electra Glide in Blue is more cynical in the decade's styling. Plus Goldsmith's score is stunner - Ave Satani

I heard that Exorcist III has a very scary scene... i agree that the 1970s is scary but why?!  Also there's a French movie called "The Iron Rose" that was very odd but kinda creepy that came out in the 70s.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 12:22:56 PM »

I heard that Exorcist III has a very scary scene... i agree that the 1970s is scary but why?!  Also there's a French movie called "The Iron Rose" that was very odd but kinda creepy that came out in the 70s.

There's the old woman crawling on the ceiling and also a creepy figure in white at the nurse station.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 12:29:22 PM »

indeed

Exorcist III scene
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 02:10:19 PM »

vanguard96
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 04:19:24 PM »

I watched the whole movie of Exorcist III and there is a jump scare just before that scene - and you even know it is coming but somehow I get the chill feeling from that scene.

The main thing is the slow pacing - very deliberate and the original Exorcist also shares it. Thus I get how some would say it is 'boring' especially compared to a fast-paced horror/psychological more modern thriller like Seven.

I can see with the Brad Dourif scenes how it would have gotten Jeffrey Dahmer 'in the mood' as Dahmer admitted. I think in a way Dourif is more intimidating than Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs - even without controlling invalids and so forth like the nurse attacking his daughter at the protagonist's home - he has a menace to him whereas the effete stage actor feel of Hopkins takes away from that aspect in my opinion.

In terms of direction in terms of cinematography with both Exorcist and Exorcist III I do think they go for cleverer transitions and foreshadowing than in the Omen  - apart from the death scenes - I like but has largely very traditional, conventional staging. Both incidentally use the name Damien - for the priest in the Exorcist and the antichrist in The Omen.

The Omen which I also watched about half of the other day seems to be one mistake after another - one Peck odd misstep after another -
1) just taking a kid from the hospital to replace his son who died in delivery without any records
2) taking in the evil nanny without checking with the agency
3) not listening to Troughton's priest till it's too late
4) not firing the nanny on the spot for the dog
5) acting all paranoid at the end when if he had not sped or panicked he could have gotten away with it

Still I like it though for the aforementioned closer style with Italian gialli and Hammer type horror which I have really grown to appreciate over the last 5-6 years.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »

I generally agree with all that, except I don't much care for The Omen.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies