"The Last Lost Continent" vs. "Stairway to Heaven"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:20:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  "The Last Lost Continent" vs. "Stairway to Heaven"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which "epic" song is better?
The Last Lost Continent

Stairway to Heaven

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: "The Last Lost Continent" vs. "Stairway to Heaven"  (Read 1169 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:59:04 PM »
« edited: March 20, 2021, 12:25:35 AM by emotional hardcore »

Stairway to Heaven is overrated. The Last Lost Continent is a pure masterpiece.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 11:00:30 PM »

write-in: Stairway to Gilligan's Island
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 09:33:38 AM »

Have to kind of agree with BRTD here, though Led Zeppelin is still great.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:35:53 AM »

Last Lost Continent hands down
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 03:12:48 PM »

Option #1 doesn't have a Wikipedia page, so that kinda answers the question...
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 03:13:34 PM »

Not an argument
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »

My issue is that I wouldn't categorize them both as songs. A song has lyrics with words sung at distinct pitches. "Stairway to Heaven" is a rock song that starts as a folk song then evolves into driving rock. It's fair to say that "The Last Lost Continent" is a musical work, but not a song. The accompaniment is quite nice with flowing guitar and added percussion. But the lyrics are spoken as they are in hip-hop music, not sung. Just because there's a vocalist and musical instruments doesn't make it a song.

As for me I like melodic singing, with bonus points for different vocal song styles in a number. So that influences my vote in favor of Led Zeppelin.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 08:09:24 PM »

My issue is that I wouldn't categorize them both as songs. A song has lyrics with words sung at distinct pitches. "Stairway to Heaven" is a rock song that starts as a folk song then evolves into driving rock. It's fair to say that "The Last Lost Continent" is a musical work, but not a song. The accompaniment is quite nice with flowing guitar and added percussion. But the lyrics are spoken as they are in hip-hop music, not sung. Just because there's a vocalist and musical instruments doesn't make it a song.

As for me I like melodic singing, with bonus points for different vocal song styles in a number. So that influences my vote in favor of Led Zeppelin.

Uh, what about instrumental music?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 08:15:42 PM »

Not an argument

Obviously not all songs with Wikipedia pages are automatically superior to all songs without them, but if you're going to try to dethrone what's generally considered to be the greatest rock song of all time, it needs to at least be a song that's notable enough to have its own article.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 08:17:24 PM »

Uh, what about instrumental music?

An orchestral piece is not a song. An instrumental jazz number is not a song. They are music, but not songs. The piece by La Dispute is a musical art form, but not a song. Dreyer is a vocalist, but not a singer.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 09:15:07 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2017, 09:17:25 PM by Murica! »

Not an argument

Obviously not all songs with Wikipedia pages are automatically superior to all songs without them, but if you're going to try to dethrone what's generally considered to be the greatest rock song of all time, it needs to at least be a song that's notable enough to have its own article.
That still makes no sense, why does a song(or muscial piece for that matter) have to be notable to be better than another? Or for that matter why should one's opinion depend on which is more notable?

For example, on the album Nevermind by Nirvana, the easily most famous song is Smells Like Teen Spirit, but in my opinion the song Drain You is the best on the album, it obviously is not a wrong opinion simply because one song is the more famous of the two.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 11:19:08 PM »

Not an argument

That still makes no sense, why does a song(or muscial piece for that matter) have to be notable to be better than another? Or for that matter why should one's opinion depend on which is more notable?

For example, on the album Nevermind by Nirvana, the easily most famous song is Smells Like Teen Spirit, but in my opinion the song Drain You is the best on the album, it obviously is not a wrong opinion simply because one song is the more famous of the two.

You're in luck: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drain_You
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 01:08:09 PM »

Let Down doesn't have a wikipedia page; yet it will always be the best Radiohead song of all time (unless they make something better in the future: bits of A Moon Shaped Pool get close to being there).  To argue that good songs are somehow the ones that most people like or buy is silly and suggests that you follow the crowd rather than think independently.

To answer the question in the OP: I don't like Stairway to Heaven for... some reason (incredibly overrated) and I haven't heard the other one, so I can't really answer.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 08:36:52 PM »

Let Down doesn't have a wikipedia page; yet it will always be the best Radiohead song of all time (unless they make something better in the future: bits of A Moon Shaped Pool get close to being there).  To argue that good songs are somehow the ones that most people like or buy is silly and suggests that you follow the crowd rather than think independently.

Nah, this is the best Radiohead song:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anyone_Can_Play_Guitar
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 08:37:46 PM »

To answer the question in the OP: I don't like Stairway to Heaven for... some reason (incredibly overrated) and I haven't heard the other one, so I can't really answer.

Link in OP.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 08:42:19 AM »

Not an argument

You're in luck: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drain_You
The point flew so far over your head that it is now a permanent satellite of Earth.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 08:43:29 AM »

Nah, this is the best Radiohead song:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anyone_Can_Play_Guitar

No this is the best Radiohead song:
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 09:29:32 AM »

Get out
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 12:10:26 PM »

this just in.....Music, like all art, is subjective....what some people like might not be your cup of tea, what you like might make other people want to leave the room.

"me think Og method of tapping on enemies skulls is smoothest way to give thanks to god of war"

"no, Chucka make great sound banging on river with bones"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2021, 12:26:22 AM »

So "The Last Lost Continent" would likely be in my top 50 emo songs but it's not really emo.

But still...masterpiece. This same question came up in a Facebook group today and basically everyone said yes, lol.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 01:25:45 AM »

So "The Last Lost Continent" would likely be in my top 50 emo songs but it's not really emo.

But still...masterpiece. This same question came up in a Facebook group today and basically everyone said yes, lol.
I agree. Great song + perfect album closer.

Stairway to Heaven is a masterpiece of classic rock and I don't really think you can compare them. Both are good in their own way and for their own era.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2021, 10:21:57 PM »

I guess Stairway to Heaven but to be honest for Led Zeppelin, I prefer All of My Love and D'yer Mak'r (probably doing that wrong but whatever).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2021, 11:56:51 AM »

This is the best "epic" song, in my opinion:

Mechavada
The News

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2021, 12:40:11 PM »

Stairway to Heaven is overrated. The Last Lost Continent is a pure masterpiece.

tl;dl.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2021, 02:48:12 PM »

The one that features a melody, discernible lyrics, and actual talent.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies