Kamala Harris Meets With Clinton Donors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:29:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris Meets With Clinton Donors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kamala Harris Meets With Clinton Donors  (Read 3904 times)
Coraxion
Ethiopia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:40:37 PM »
« edited: July 18, 2017, 05:38:43 AM by Coraxion »

http://pagesix.com/2017/07/15/kamala-harris-meets-with-democratic-elite-in-hamptons/?_ga=2.4757619.1753836245.1500251117-553928419.1500251117

I'm not sure about whether she'll be the nominee, but I think she's definitely gonna run.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 10:43:23 PM »

So she's not even going to make a show at being Senator? I'm really starting to hate her.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 10:58:56 PM »

I'd settle for "progressive" California having one non terrible Senator. But nooooooo..
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 11:03:23 PM »

...Oh FFS.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 11:54:52 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2017, 12:04:46 AM by Possiblymaybe »

It's the NY post ... I am seeing all these think pieces about how she's definetly been chosen by Clinton backers- based on this story- and I wonder when did political commentators start taking page six seriously?

Well apparently she had never met them before this weekend and they are doing events for several other democrats. It doesn't seem to as be as big a deal as the post made it seem.. As usual

“Senator Harris has made a strong impression in her first months as senator,” Kempner, who runs MWW, told InsiderNJ. “So, I’m excited to host her and see firsthand why so many people I respect are fans of hers. I also look forward to hosting many other prominent Democrats over the coming months.

“As for me, I believe it is way too early to be speculating about 2020,” added Kempner. “I am staying focused on the 2018 House and Senate races, key Governors races in 2017 and 2018 and critical legislative races across the country where we can defend or flip legislatures. Right now, there are few things more important than stopping the rampant voter suppression and gerrymandering being orchestrated by Republicans coast to coast.”

source is insidernj.com ( not allowed to post links yet)
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 12:36:25 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2017, 12:46:14 AM by MarkD »

She will have served as a Senator for four years by election 2020, which is the same amount of time that Obama had served when he was elected in 2008. Age-wise, she'll turn 56 almost three weeks before the election (she's 13 days younger than me). She is as multi-racial as Obama. I think her positions will be plenty progressive, so she should be quite acceptable to the progressive wing of the party. As long as that wing does not wrinkle their noses at the fact that she is raising funds from the same sources as the Clintons, I think she'll be able to unite the Dems even better than the Clintons did. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea that she ought to be the Democratic nominee.
And I could vote for her too, November 2020, so long as she took the appropriate stance on the appointment of Supreme Court Justices.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 01:26:26 AM »

I honestly don't understand all the animosity atlas has towards Kamala Harris? She's far more electable than someone like Elizabeth Warren or Cory Booker...
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 01:48:41 AM »

I honestly don't understand all the animosity atlas has towards Kamala Harris? She's far more electable than someone like Elizabeth Warren or Cory Booker...
I think it's just that people who get hyped up too early and people who the establishments unite around tend not to work out. The last candidate to unite the establishment instantly and proceed to win was Dubya.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 01:57:13 AM »

I think it's just that people who get hyped up too early and people who the establishments unite around tend not to work out. The last candidate to unite the establishment instantly and proceed to win was Dubya.

Hillary united the establishment big time and won the primary.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 07:43:48 AM »

She will have served as a Senator for four years by election 2020, which is the same amount of time that Obama had served when he was elected in 2008. Age-wise, she'll turn 56 almost three weeks before the election (she's 13 days younger than me). She is as multi-racial as Obama. I think her positions will be plenty progressive, so she should be quite acceptable to the progressive wing of the party. As long as that wing does not wrinkle their noses at the fact that she is raising funds from the same sources as the Clintons, I think she'll be able to unite the Dems even better than the Clintons did. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea that she ought to be the Democratic nominee.
And I could vote for her too, November 2020, so long as she took the appropriate stance on the appointment of Supreme Court Justices.

Sorry, the left ain't gonna listen to someone who raises money from millionaire donors. Sort of our antithesis.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 07:48:08 AM »

So she's not even going to make a show at being Senator? I'm really starting to hate her.

Beet hates her, and jfern hates her? Sounds like the perfect candidate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »

Beet hates her, and jfern hates her? Sounds like the perfect candidate.

I bet we both hate Mark Zuckerberg too. Is he also perfect?
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 08:21:14 AM »

Sorry, the left ain't gonna listen to someone who raises money from millionaire donors. Sort of our antithesis.

The gods honest truth is that untill we reform campaign finance, most democrats will have to do fundraisers with wealthy donors in order to raise money. Sanders was the exception and unless he runs again, I dont see any other candidate who can bring in enough money with individual donors.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 08:33:31 AM »

It's the NY post ... I am seeing all these think pieces about how she's definetly been chosen by Clinton backers- based on this story- and I wonder when did political commentators start taking page six seriously?

I’m not sure what you mean about taking Page Six seriously.  Harris’s meeting with these folks definitely happened.  Page Six broke the story (I think), but other outlets have now reported it too.  E.g.:

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/342431-dem-donors-buzzing-about-kamala-harris

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think that’s a misreading of the significance of the event.  There’s nothing to indicate that this meeting means that Harris is now the favorite of Democratic donors.  The Post didn’t say that, and if others are inferring that from this story, then they’re wrong.  The significance of the story is that it’s a signal of Harris’s own ambitions: That she’s looking towards national office.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 08:35:05 AM »

The establishment isn't anywhere close to uniting around anyone at this point.  Just because Harris met with these folks doesn't mean they're all united behind her.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 09:20:36 AM »

People saying "it's the same as Obama" are missing the point. Obama's buzz in 2004 was based entirely off his keynote DNC speech, which was the best-received speech of the convention and where he introduced broad, sweeping themes which ended up being his campaign message in '08. Whereas prior to that night, most people had never heard of Obama, or if they had, would never consider him presidential material, immediately after the speech, people started saying he could be a president one day. He went on to win his race running 15 points ahead of Kerry and carrying almost every county in Illinois, including downstate. In 2005 and most of 2006, few people were talking about a potential run for president in '08. He made a serious try at being a Senator, having a number of achievements despite being a freshman in the Senate minority. That went a long way towards mitigating his relative inexperience in the '08 primaries.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 09:46:19 AM »

Why is this bad? Can a person not walk and chew gum at the same time? She's been sponsoring legislation for months and is constantly promoting it (along with promoting herself, but hey who can blame her?). So she clearly wants to run for President next time. God forbid someone thinks they have what it takes to run our country
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2017, 09:59:37 AM by Possiblymaybe »

I’m not sure what you mean about taking Page Six seriously.  Harris’s meeting with these folks definitely happened.  Page Six broke the story (I think), but other outlets have now reported it too.  E.g.:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think that’s a misreading of the significance of the event.  There’s nothing to indicate that this meeting means that Harris is now the favorite of Democratic donors.  The Post didn’t say that, and if others are inferring that from this story, then they’re wrong.  The significance of the story is that it’s a signal of Harris’s own ambitions: That she’s looking towards national office.

I was really referring to all the think pieces a result of this story- the notion that "the establishment has united behind her". Well there's more to the establishment than these individuals. We got the biggest democratic donor out there saying people should back Sanders for instance.
I don't doubt her ambition but keep in mind she's a west coast politician.When Gillibrand or Booker attends a fundraiser in Hollywood, sure it means they are expanding their network but I don't think you can instantly conclude they are definitely running in 2020.

As for those Clinton donors there was a story in the NY post awhile back that Gillibrand had reached out to them for support implied  she was testing the waters for 2020.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 10:03:33 AM »

FWIW, 8 years as Attorney General of the most populous state and 4 years as Senator is a decent resume.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »

I don't doubt her ambition but keep in mind she's a west coast politician.When Gillibrand or Booker attends a fundraiser in Hollywood, sure it means they are expanding their network but I don't think you can instantly conclude they are definitely running in 2020.

As for those Clinton donors there was a story in the NY post awhile back that Gillibrand had reached out to them for support implied  she was testing the waters for 2020.

None of these folks are a lock to run in 2020, but Gillibrand reaching out to national donors in November and Harris reaching out to them now are the kinds of things that mean they're more likely to be planning a 2020 run for president than most of the other Dems in the Senate.  You might say "Didn't we already know that?"  Well sure, there are other clues too.  But it's important to make note of each clue along the way to get a clearer picture of what's going on, since the candidates are not going to publicly admit that they're planning a run for higher office at this point.  Hence, the need to track the tea leaves.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 10:39:35 AM »

Kamala Harris would be a good Presidential candidate or a VP pick (depending on who the nominee is). She would also be a good AG pick in the next Dem administration. 

She's in my Top 5 of who I want to see run for President in 2020.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 04:48:51 PM »

Yes
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 12:36:47 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 12:42:14 PM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

People that Michael Kempner also donated *large* amounts of money to last cycle:

Jason Kander
Tim Kaine
Amy Klobuchar
Chuck Schumer
#ClimbingMaggie
Ann Kirkpatrick
Michael Bennett
DWS
Richard Blumenthal

And his local Congressman, Josh Gottheimer

Make of that what you will.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 01:46:35 PM »

this is sad. they go straight to the donors
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 02:10:42 PM »

People that Michael Kempner also donated *large* amounts of money to last cycle:

Jason Kander
Tim Kaine
Amy Klobuchar
Chuck Schumer
#ClimbingMaggie
Ann Kirkpatrick
Michael Bennett
DWS
Richard Blumenthal

And his local Congressman, Josh Gottheimer

Make of that what you will.

This is a tremendous group of individuals.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies