List Dem Senators the GOP is making a real effort to knock off in 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:46:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  List Dem Senators the GOP is making a real effort to knock off in 2018
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: List Dem Senators the GOP is making a real effort to knock off in 2018  (Read 831 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2017, 11:20:58 PM »

So far I have:

IN
MO
OH?
MT???

It seems like Manchin and Heitkamp at walking, which seems crazy. Are Donnelly and McCatskill the only Dem Senators who need to be sweating?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 11:23:35 PM »

Scott is running against Nelson in FL
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 12:20:28 AM »

Why does everyone think this is a given? He gave himself until next year to decide likely because he knows the environment will be rough, and it would give him some time to reach a definitive conclusion.

He gave himself until next year to announce, not to decide. He is fairly obviously running already.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:24:08 AM »

Why does everyone think this is a given? He gave himself until next year to decide likely because he knows the environment will be rough, and it would give him some time to reach a definitive conclusion.

He gave himself until next year to announce, not to decide. He is fairly obviously running already.

Maybe his campaign appearances and ads and gathering of forces is just to show everyone in Florida a last goodbye.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:28:11 AM »

Donnelly doesn't really look that much in trouble either so far MO is the only matchup that is making dems sweat
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 12:33:29 AM »

MT
MO
IN
WI
OH
WV
FL
Maybe ND if they don't run Cramer.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 01:00:57 AM »

Donnelly doesn't really look that much in trouble either so far MO is the only matchup that is making dems sweat

Republicans will tear each other apart in the IN-Sen primary and the winner will emerge wounded. That will benefit Donnelly.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 02:29:33 AM »

Republicans will tear each other apart in the IN-Sen primary and the winner will emerge wounded. That will benefit Donnelly.

If the winner somehow is Brooks, Ballard, or Daniels, then I doubt Donnelly can win. Otherwise, I would rate it Lean D.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 02:33:57 PM »

If the winner somehow is Brooks, Ballard, or Daniels, then I doubt Donnelly can win. Otherwise, I would rate it Lean D.

It's not going to be any of those guys. Brooks has passed, Daniels is retired from politics and enjoying his time at Purdue, and Ballard ... might also be retired. He was too scared to run for re-election in 2016, and was pretty anti-Trump during the election. He also hated the RFRA and likely has a less than good relationship with Pence, which might weigh on his future decisions.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 03:25:53 PM »

Yep - and the primary period allows Donnelly to define himself rather than his opponents defining him. If he can be sort of a toned-down Sherrod Brown, I think he's got a good chance of reelection.

Regarding the primary, Rokita and Messer are both relatively similar ideologically, but Rokita is seen as more of a "gaffe machine" despite not having that many gaffes, and Messer more "presentable." Despite this, I think Donnelly should prefer Messer to be his opponent, since he'll be lambasted as a boring Establishment pick.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 09:45:56 PM »

It's not going to be any of those guys. Brooks has passed, Daniels is retired from politics and enjoying his time at Purdue, and Ballard ... might also be retired. He was too scared to run for re-election in 2016, and was pretty anti-Trump during the election. He also hated the RFRA and likely has a less than good relationship with Pence, which might weigh on his future decisions.

To add to this, Greg Ballard would never survive a statewide primary in Indiana.
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 10:10:43 PM »

*crickets chirping*
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:31:18 PM »

To add to this, Greg Ballard would never survive a statewide primary in Indiana.

I could see Ballard winning with the Indianapolis voters and Northern suburbs. Messer and Rokita represent more of the Trump wing of the Party, and Ballard is still very popular and could get a lot of those anti-Trump voters. I'm not sure if there would be a runoff if no one gets 50%, but it's realistic that Ballard could win with like 40% if the Trump vote is split.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 12:17:59 AM »

Heitkamp and Manchin could be vulnerable but are in a good position. I'm not sure about Donnelly but he should be vulnerable. McCaskill and Brown are getting lucky with the GOP field but if the elections for their seats were held now they'd lose and they are vulnerable. Michigan with Kid Rock may be worrying but Stabenow is strong and rationally she should easily defeat any GOP candidate. Brown and McCaskill are the top targets for the GOP I think.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 06:12:51 PM »

I could see Ballard winning with the Indianapolis voters and Northern suburbs. Messer and Rokita represent more of the Trump wing of the Party, and Ballard is still very popular and could get a lot of those anti-Trump voters. I'm not sure if there would be a runoff if no one gets 50%, but it's realistic that Ballard could win with like 40% if the Trump vote is split.

You're right. I had meant that Ballard would never crack 50% but he could certainly win in a plurality.

I just don't think that Indianapolis and Hamilton County Republicans can dominate the state party any more the way they did in the Daniels years.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 08:27:03 PM »

Isn't Jenkins still running in WV? He seems like a decent recruit.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 12:53:42 PM »

I said and I quote, "somehow".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies