(Thread) Laws that are horses**t
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:12:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  (Thread) Laws that are horses**t
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: (Thread) Laws that are horses**t  (Read 601 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:30:43 AM »
« edited: July 19, 2017, 12:39:02 AM by The Arizonan »

This is the thread in which you post laws that you think are bulls**t.

To start off:

Virginia has a law that makes it a felony to wear any mask in public. What if you were going to a costume party?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was also illegal to use or position an umbrella in a way that covers your face.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 01:07:33 AM »

To start off:

Virginia has a law that makes it a felony to wear any mask in public. What if you were going to a costume party?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was also illegal to use or position an umbrella in a way that covers your face.

This law is to prevent people from having their faces covered during riots.  It's probably overly broad, but there is a logic to it.

I would go with civil forfeiture laws and the whole 'war on drugs' as examples of where the law is an ass.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 01:29:56 AM »

That whole "not murdering law" if I go into Starbucks and order a French Vanilka Frappuchino and I to wait 10 minutes for it I should be allowed to shoot someone in the face
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:27:15 AM »

Would the Virginia law also ban niqabs?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 04:37:03 AM »

I keep seeing laws about not carrying an ice cream cone in your pocket, and Little Rock has a law forbidding the river from rising above a certain point.

Virginia has a law that makes it a felony to wear any mask in public..

Wasn't that one of the anti-Klan laws from back in the day?

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 05:29:26 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 10:13:07 AM by pbrower2a »

To start off:

The law against using a mask in public is intended to deter armed robberies.  As protection from the cold when one does outside work in the winter, or in use Halloween or Purim festivities, it is  not so objectionable.

Having a mask of Barack Obama or Donald Trump while going into a bank is... suspicious. If you ever saw the movie Point Break you would understand why.  
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 09:51:07 AM »

The bulk of occupational licensing laws are horseschitt. There is no reason tour guides or interior decorators should be regulated in this way.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:08:35 AM »

In North Carolina farmers can't use elephants to plow fields.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 10:14:43 AM »

The bulk of occupational licensing laws are horseschitt. There is no reason tour guides or interior decorators should be regulated in this way.

Potential victimization. Because a tour guide might have access to children...
Coraxion
Ethiopia

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »

Here, you need a permit if you want to modify the weather.
kyc0705

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 11:26:16 AM »

I read the thread title as "Laws are horses**t" and I was like whoa when did anarchist Atlas take off
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 12:08:05 PM »

I'm going to slightly off topic and mention a lot I have long thought needs to be enacted. Anytime a restaurant drive-thru fails to provide napkins with the order there should be a strict liability $10 or $20 fine against that establishment. I emphasized it should be levied on the establishment rather than the minimum wage worker who handed the bag of food through the drive-thru window. And like all health and safety regulatory actions it would be prohibited from being passed on to that individual worker.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 01:36:20 PM by Storebought »

Less of a law, and more of a regulation, that passenger trains in the US are limited to 79 mph on tracks lacking specialized signaling that no freight operator will ever implement. Trains in Canada and Australia without the specialized signaling run at 100 mph. That rule needlessly cripples passenger rail in the US.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 02:34:54 PM »

It's illegal feed a moose alcohol in Alaska.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 02:52:05 PM »

It's illegal feed a moose alcohol in Alaska.

Moose are dangerous creatures when sober.Just imagine them drunk.

A car-moose collision often results in the moose being thrown into and through the windshield and into the passenger compartment with the death of people in the car.

That law makes sense. Would you give alcohol to a bear?

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »

In PA, motorized vehicles can't be sold on Sundays.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 04:18:50 PM »

You can fly a plane solo before you can drive in many states. (Being a pilot, I actually think this makes sense, but it blows most people's minds)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 04:58:46 PM »

The California penal code is curiously interested in dogs, reserving 487e to define grand theft of a dog, 487f to define petty theft of a dog (petty theft is otherwise dealt with in 490), and 491 to note that the value of a dog can be ascertained in the same manner as any other property. The law itself is fine, but the way it is broken down here is rather strange.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 08:26:45 AM »

I've always found the idea of places banning the sale of alcohol on Sundays to be rather odd - hell after moving back to Scotland I found adapting back to the 10pm off-sale curfew and much earlier closing times (1am for pubs, 3am for clubs seems to be the norm) and I think they are silly laws - although sadly probably necessary in Scotland.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 08:33:06 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 08:35:27 AM by Santander »

Indiana - Liquor stores can't sell cold pop, grocery stores can't sell cold beer, which is why every liquor store has a pop machine outside. No alcohol sales on Sundays either except for microbreweries, but that's more of a small business protection law than a blue law at this point. (it's much more expensive to operate 7 days a week than 6 days a week as a small business) Nice little boon for microbreweries on football Sundays.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 12:47:40 PM »

In PA, motorized vehicles can't be sold on Sundays.

Is that actually still enforced?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 04:41:38 PM »

Indiana - Liquor stores can't sell cold pop, grocery stores can't sell cold beer, which is why every liquor store has a pop machine outside. No alcohol sales on Sundays either except for microbreweries, but that's more of a small business protection law than a blue law at this point. (it's much more expensive to operate 7 days a week than 6 days a week as a small business) Nice little boon for microbreweries on football Sundays.

Liquor laws are -- weird. I'm guessing that this is in part a Blue Law and in part an effort to divide a market. Could anyone really confuse cold beer with cold pop? Where this could get tricky is where such a law might prevent the sale of 'spiked' colas anywhere or a pre-made 'Seven and Seven'.

...Can anyone tell me whether beer is available at Sunday games of the Indianapolis Colts?

...The next time that I go to Indiana I will determine whether Dollar General, Wal*Mart, and Meijer sell both cold beer and cold sodas inside the same store. Maybe those do not count as grovery stores.   
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 04:47:41 PM »
« Edited: July 20, 2017, 04:51:32 PM by Santander »

Liquor laws are -- weird. I'm guessing that this is in part a Blue Law and in part an effort to divide a market. Could anyone really confuse cold beer with cold pop? Where this could get tricky is where such a law might prevent the sale of 'spiked' colas anywhere or a pre-made 'Seven and Seven'.

...Can anyone tell me whether beer is available at Sunday games of the Indianapolis Colts?

...The next time that I go to Indiana I will determine whether Dollar General, Wal*Mart, and Meijer sell both cold beer and cold sodas inside the same store. Maybe those do not count as grovery stores.  
Yeah, you can buy alcohol at bars and other licensed facilities. Even if you couldn't, an exemption would've been carved out for the Colts a long time ago. You just can't buy packaged alcohol except for beer from microbreweries based in Indiana. Packaged cold beer isn't sold anywhere other than liquor stores and microbreweries. Walmart, convenience stores, etc. don't sell cold beer.

Of course, this is much less confusing than what time it is in Indiana. Smiley
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 01:54:43 AM »

That whole "not murdering law" if I go into Starbucks and order a French Vanilka Frappuchino and I to wait 10 minutes for it I should be allowed to shoot someone in the face

If you are being sarcastic, then I don't appreciate it.

If I really want to dress up like the Batman or Joker in public, even in Virginia, I'm going to do it.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 02:26:22 AM »

If you are being sarcastic, then I don't appreciate it.

If I really want to dress up like the Batman or Joker in public, even in Virginia, I'm going to do it.
I was going for a joke of sarcasim
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies