Is Trump the most hated president in U.S. history?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:52:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is Trump the most hated president in U.S. history?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Trump the most hated president in U.S. history?  (Read 1315 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:27:54 AM »

It feels like Trump is the most hated president in American history at this point. Do you agree?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:30:32 AM »

We just had Bush not too long ago. But if (when) a recession hits, it won't be pretty for Trump.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 02:35:10 AM »

He is the most unfairly hated. Obama was hated for good reason.
EnglishPete

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 02:47:42 AM »

It feels like Trump is the most hated president in American history at this point. Do you agree?
Nope. That was Abraham Lincoln. His opponents actually seceded and started a war over his election.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 03:13:50 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 05:21:13 AM by pbrower2a »

Good reason? For being something that rhymes with 'trigger'?

There's still some of that pathology going on. I see one fault: as a black man he could not deal effectively with America's biggest problem -- poverty -- without being accused of using welfare as a sort of spoils system.

...I despise President Trump. I saw a warning sign in his demagoguery; he could never fulfill his contradictory promises. I am surprised that he had nothing to offer me other than some vapid slogans (knowledgeable as I am of the ways of making lies out of words, I did not trust those slogans). I knew that many who fell for him would be disappointed -- badly. The first thing that a demagogue must decide upon reaching office is to decide which promises he will betray,  He ended up serving the class interests of his rentier clique. He's basically a landlord, someone who profiteers of shortages that he has every incentive to maintain. Even if he is a capitalist as a property owner, he is not an innovator who changes the world for the better. I knew that his political agenda has nothing to offer me.

Maybe I could tolerate some vulgarity in a liberal-leaning politician like Carter or Clinton, but in a reactionary, vulgarity is unspeakably ugly. You can probably figure where I lie on the intellectual spectrum and how much respect I have for formal learning as the means of acquiring technical expertise and making sense of life; Donald Trump shows contempt for this. His solution to economic distress is to have the political order throw money at his class without any right to monitor the results or change direction when the results go bad.

This man is a mirror-image Marxist, the sort who fits the Marxist stereotype of what one can expect in a capitalist order that serves only capitalists and gives the shaft to everyone else. For him, life is all about easy money without responsibility, and the rest of Humanity can defer to his extreme selfishness and economic sadism. This is the sort of person who sees a Marxist critique of capitalism (multitudes suffering for an irresponsible, rapacious elite) and sees something wonderful.  

Don't get me wrong. America needs more capitalism -- not less. That means more small-scale capitalists, and that means a tax system that does not reward people for already being super-rich while making the formation of businesses unrewarding. I'd like to see the economic order of the 1950s, when small business was the norm. Oh, we would pay more than we do at Wal*Mart? We'd also have people doing honest-to-God salesmanship that allows us to like what we get even if we get less.  Pay a little more but like what you get and use up fewer resources? That might even be 'green'.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 03:26:19 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 05:18:34 AM by Insert clever user name here »

Trump does have the lowest average approval rating of any post-WWII president so far.

The highest ever disapprovals of Nixon and Bush 43 were still higher than Trump's are though. However, it's still possible that he'll exceed them at one point. His presidency is only six months old after all.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 04:38:11 AM »

He's certainly the most unpopular modern president this early into his term.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 05:07:45 AM »

We're not there yet, folks.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 05:24:24 AM »

Nope. That was Abraham Lincoln. His opponents actually seceded and started a war over his election.

Of course the slaves did not participate in the election.

I am convinced that Lincoln was going to end slavery in America... but he was going to do it the British way, which would have been applicable to America as it was to the British colonies. That would have been far better than the way that America ended slavery.

A hint: the federal government bought freedom for slaves in Delaware and Maryland.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »

He's certainly the most unpopular modern president this early into his term.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 11:12:25 AM »

Yes and rightfully so he is a whiny little b*tch who deserves a kick in the balls
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 11:18:29 AM »

In modern history- Bush was easily , as he was hated universally more by the democrats (trump still does well among blue collar Dems) and even hated more by the left (just look at DU threads from 2003-2008 or tyt from 2006-2008) .

All time - No president was more hated then Lincoln ( huge parts of the country seceded when he won )
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:20:06 AM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 12:10:48 PM »

Probably not. Andrew Johnson, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Nixon shortly prior to resignation, all had lower approval ratings, at least arguably so for the first two.

If we talk about average approval rating rather than looking for particular low points during their Administration, Trump has to rank up there with Johnson, Buchanan, and Pierce.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »

Lincoln and A. Johnson were hated more.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 12:27:31 PM »

Lincoln and A. Johnson were hated more.

Only if one wrongly includes white Southerners who probably declare themselves not to be part of the USA anymore, but simultaneously excludes African American slaves throughout those States whom I'm pretty sure had a rather high opinion of Uncle Abe.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 01:00:18 PM »

In modern history- Bush was easily , as he was hated universally more by the democrats (trump still does well among blue collar Dems) and even hated more by the left (just look at DU threads from 2003-2008 or tyt from 2006-2008) .

Yeah. The antiwar left hated Bush with a vicious paranoia far beyond anything Resistance Twitter has come up with yet. Perhaps that will have changed after a few years, we'll see.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 01:01:52 PM »

Yeah. The antiwar left hated Bush with a vicious paranoia far beyond anything Resistance Twitter has come up with yet. Perhaps that will have changed after a few years, we'll see.

Paranoia implies they weren't actually out to do you harm. Wink
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 01:14:32 PM »

Sure. But I'm talking about the widespread conspiracy theories on the left during the mid 00s that Bush did 9/11 to start a war in Iraq for the oil and funnel the profits to Haliburton. I also remember the constant rumours from 05-07 that Bush about to bomb Iran etc..

Plus internationally, I'm pretty sure nothing Trump can do will create anything equivalent to the wave of anti-Americanism that the invasion of Iraq unleashed across the globe.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 02:11:48 PM »

Sure. But I'm talking about the widespread conspiracy theories on the left during the mid 00s that Bush did 9/11 to start a war in Iraq for the oil and funnel the profits to Haliburton. I also remember the constant rumours from 05-07 that Bush about to bomb Iran etc..

Plus internationally, I'm pretty sure nothing Trump can do will create anything equivalent to the wave of anti-Americanism that the invasion of Iraq unleashed across the globe.

First, while the goal wasn't necessarily two funnel profits to Haliburton - - that was just a happy coincidence Dash Dash the war wouldn't have been started if the same matters occurred in a non oral Rich region like South Sudan.

Secondly, I wish that were the case, but frankly the only thing stopping him from making a horrible horrible decision internationally is being distracted by domestic concerns and investigations plus the lack of a spark to give his bad need your decision making an opportunity to f*** things up.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 07:16:48 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 07:19:15 PM by Clay »

I don't know about the most hated in history...

But at this point in his presidency, I could believe it being true, when compared to every other prez at this point in their terms.

He hasn't done much to reverse that feeling, btw.  He constantly makes flubs that could've been easily avoided.  It's not just that he isn't a politician--that he makes all these mistakes only because he's an outsider is a weak argument.

He also has hired the wrong people for certain key positions.  And many of the people speaking on his behalf come across as incredibly arrogant morons.  That doesn't help him to be less hated.

Also, no other president in history has been accused of colluding with a foreign government (not just any, but Russia) to win the election.  That's a serious accusation, that if true, is highly treasonous.  Every day, it seems like, there's something new to back up that accusation, and team Trump seems oblivious to it all.

(And before you "nothing burger" people start, yes there is overwhelming circumstantial evidence of collusion. That you refuse to see it does not make it less so.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies