Would Rick Santorum losing his seat be good for American Democracy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:42:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Would Rick Santorum losing his seat be good for American Democracy?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Would Rick Santorum losing his seat be good for American Democracy?
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Would Rick Santorum losing his seat be good for American Democracy?  (Read 4309 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2005, 11:25:12 PM »

Robert Byrd is moving to Pennsylvania?  Who knew!

Arlen Specter claimed that he wanted to be the Robert Byrd of Pennsylvania (but he was talking in terms of pork barrel spending, not racism).
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2005, 12:13:55 AM »

Rick Santorum losing his seat would be great for Democrats, bad for Republicans, and crappy for Pennsylvanians depending on how much money he brings in/how well he represents the state.

I'm not Pennsylvanian, so I won't answer that. If I lived in PA, I'd certainly consider voting for him, just as I'll highly considered (and did) vote for Mikulski in MD.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2005, 12:34:46 AM »

No. How the helll would it affect Democracy it's self. That's like saying "Would electing Bob Dole have be bad for American democracy."

heh, exaclty.  Unless Santorum, would greatly increase his power in the senate to the point where noone would be allowed to vote, then it wouldn't be bad for democracy.  It might be bad for liberty if he's going to push for anti-gay rightwing rhetoric though.  Democracy and liberty are two different things MissCatholic, it's not a wonder why people on this site think what they do of you.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2005, 01:24:26 AM »

Depends on who takes his place. Certainly there are more competent people who could be in his seat, but there are less competent people as well.

am i over-exaggerating Rick Santorums extremism or is he really a nut within the Republican party?

Santorum is a typical Republican, and a fair representation of that party.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2005, 02:17:27 AM »

People already like him and if he wins next year that should put an end to this "He's out of step with PA" stuff that Democrats across the nation throw around. Discuss whatever you want about the guy but do me a favor and accept the fact that Pennsylvanians really do like their Junior United States Senator.

SPEAK FOR YOUR FRIGGING SELF PAL!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2005, 07:44:19 AM »

People already like him and if he wins next year that should put an end to this "He's out of step with PA" stuff that Democrats across the nation throw around. Discuss whatever you want about the guy but do me a favor and accept the fact that Pennsylvanians really do like their Junior United States Senator.

He should have said "... but do me a favor and accept, if re-elected, that the majority of Pennslvanians really do like their Junior United States Senator."
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2005, 08:57:12 AM »

He should have said "... but do me a favor and accept, if re-elected, that the majority of Pennslvanians really do like their Junior United States Senator."

Phil seems pretty confident about Sen. Santorum's chances for re-election.  I'm not a fan of the guy and believe that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania can do better than to elect such a polarizing figure to represent their state in Congress. 
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2005, 09:42:09 AM »

Phil seems pretty confident about Sen. Santorum's chances for re-election.  I'm not a fan of the guy and believe that the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania can do better than to elect such a polarizing figure to represent their state in Congress. 

That is true.  I just don't know if someone better really wants to be Senator of PA.  hahaha
MissCatholic

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2005, 10:37:50 AM »

No. How the helll would it affect Democracy it's self. That's like saying "Would electing Bob Dole have be bad for American democracy."

heh, exaclty.  Unless Santorum, would greatly increase his power in the senate to the point where noone would be allowed to vote, then it wouldn't be bad for democracy.  It might be bad for liberty if he's going to push for anti-gay rightwing rhetoric though.  Democracy and liberty are two different things MissCatholic, it's not a wonder why people on this site think what they do of you.

Well if Pennslyvania kicks the guy out of office then you will not have to read these type of threads anymore.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2005, 10:48:41 AM »

Well if Pennslyvania kicks the guy out of office then you will not have to read these type of threads anymore.

Hmmm . . . I have a problem with that logic.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2005, 10:54:48 AM »

I'm amazed you've been allowed to stay on the forum this long.
MissCatholic

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2005, 11:09:09 AM »

I'm amazed you've been allowed to stay on the forum this long.

Well if you take my attacks on Intelligent Design, the war in Iraq, the wide open border and Rick Santorum then i can fully understand your remark above. I hate Rick Santroum. I hate him. He talks about people who live differently from him like they are monsters. Intelligent Design is a radical Christian assault on Science and i'm not going to sit and watch while money continues to pour into these organisations.

My mom onced told me
'to get a person to lesson you can no-longer tap them on the shoulder you have to hit them round the head with a sledgehammer'.

I am petrified of this country becoming a theocracy. The amount of money that these groups have from brainwashing clinics on sundays is doing so much damage. People attack the ACLU but people like Moral Majority, Alliance Defence Fund, the heritage foundation, Focus on the Family all sound nice but they have bad ideas for this country.

I wish i could just tap someone on the shoulder but it didn't work in 2004 so i have to hit people with a sledgehammer regarding the issues i mentioned above.

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2005, 11:18:24 AM »

Except you're viewed as an annoying joke or at worst a troll by this forum and you show a remarkable lack of perception about US politics.
MissCatholic

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2005, 11:31:13 AM »

Except you're viewed as an annoying joke or at worst a troll by this forum and you show a remarkable lack of perception about US politics.

Your party and Rick Santorum talks about manners and respect yet you have no problem saying something cruel and wicked.

Words can hurt people!
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2005, 11:41:17 AM »

So can sledgehammers.  What's your point?  (Double standard?)

Look, there will always be politicians you will not agree with, and some will always stick out as a lightning rod because they are more open than others.  However, threatening the use of weapons or name calling is far from the right course of action, especially for an insignificant issue or series of issues.  The right course is to be calm, mature, and open-minded about the other sides views on the issue.  You are more likely to attract more people into a meaningful discussion on an issue by saying "You know, I don't agree with some of the things this person has said..." than "That Right-wing religious nutjob is going to destroy us all..." or "I have to hit people with a sledgehammer...," you know?  This is why people tend to marginalize you so often.  Be less irrational and more people might bother to listen.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »

Your party and Rick Santorum talks about manners and respect yet you have no problem saying something cruel and wicked.

Words can hurt people!

I'm a Democrat, but at least most of the other Dems here and myself  show Republicans equal respect on this forum and not blindly attack them with no real argument.
MissCatholic

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2005, 11:53:07 AM »

Words can hurt people!

I'm a Democrat, but at least most of the other Dems here and myself  show Republicans equal respect on this forum and not blindly attack them with no real argument.

how am i blind in attacking Rick Santorum.

'the killing of terri schiavo is a brutal execution'

'a women sleeping with a women is as bad as a women sleeping with her dog'

'a women who works cannot raise her child successfully as a women who stays at home'

'feminists demand that women should get the same pay as men. The problem for these feminists is that they don't understand that men so a better job than women'

He talks down at us. I'm not going to tolerate it anymore.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2005, 11:57:11 AM »

Don't tolerate it, but don't make us tolerate your extreme comments. Time to leave again Nomo
MissCatholic

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2005, 12:01:58 PM »

Don't tolerate it, but don't make us tolerate your extreme comments. Time to leave again Nomo

i send you a personal message that if you dont like my contents or my posts then dont read or reply to them and i will do the same.

You object to that. Why?

You have a right to go and vote for Rick Santorum and i have a right to show what a nutcase he is.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2005, 12:05:23 PM »

i send you a personal message that if you dont like my contents or my posts then dont read or reply to them and i will do the same.

You object to that. Why?

You have a right to go and vote for Rick Santorum and i have a right to show what a nutcase he is.

And I have the responsibility as a functioning member of society to point out when you or someone else makes stupid posts.
MissCatholic

« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2005, 12:12:44 PM »

You object to that. Why?

And I have the responsibility as a functioning member of society to point out when you or someone else makes stupid posts.

how are they stupid posts when they are Rick Santorums comments?

i think we should be able to discuss his views!
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2005, 05:10:20 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2005, 05:39:29 PM by Giant Saguaro »

I remember Nomo - fits his/her old method of operation like a glove. I propose we stop taking this stuff seriously, those who are - vibrators, sledgehammers, Rick Santorum, and so on - no one in their right mind would be doing this. This is just bullsh*tting, that's all.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2005, 09:49:36 PM »

They agree that women have no right to earn the same amount of money as men. They agree that the best place for a women is at home not at work.

Cite examples where he has publicly stated these views.

They agree that a women has no right to make personal choices in her life.

You believe that unborn women have no right to choose whether they live or die.  So there. Tongue
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2005, 09:51:42 PM »

Uh...I'm speaking for the state of Pennsylvania as a whole and last time I checked, you don't make up the entire state....pal.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2005, 09:52:52 PM »

Phil seems pretty confident about Sen. Santorum's chances for re-election.   

No, I'm not. At this point, Casey is more likely to win. I am confident, though, that the state likes Santorum.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies